Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why do we allow this to happen?

(30 Posts)
Rosina Fri 19-Oct-18 18:01:09

I hear today that AnJem Choudery has been released from prison, that he is to be closely monitored and restrictions placed upon his movements.
I interpret this to mean that he will be living at home, on benefit (a guess, but would you employ him?) and that surveillance and monitoring of this highly dangerous individual will cost many hundreds of thousands of pounds, and a diversion of already overloaded police manpower.
Is it not time that individuals who incite terrorism, who hate us and want to destroy our way of life and our democracy, are left in prison and not given the opportunity to be released to continue with their evil? Is it not time also that incitement, still a common law offence under the public order act, is made a full criminal offence and punished accordingly? I just cannot understand why people capable of such dreadful behaviour are not charged with treason given that they are threatening the state. Instead they are released - a blessing not available to those who have been blown up in atrocities or killed individually by young men radicalised by hate preachers. We are far too tolerant, and will pay the price relentlessly.

maddyone Sun 21-Oct-18 17:32:36

I agree with every single post on here about this vile individual. The problem is that whilst every decent person hates everything about this person and and everything he stands for, there is absolutely nothing that any of us can do about the situation that we find ourselves in with regard to him. Our leaders are the ones who make the rules and laws, and as so many have commented before, unless people such as Choudary actually start to affect them, nothing will be done. If you remember, it was after the IRA tried to bomb 10 Downing Street that the big gates were erected at the end of the street. Politicians make all the right noises, lots of people light candles, vigils are held, and we are told we won’t let these events change our way of life. But our way of life has changed, and not for the better. And it has changed because of people such as Choudery, who make a complete mockery of our justice system, and who successive governments of every political belief have totally failed to protect us from. He will continue to play the system because he can! And our leaders let him! And yes, this makes me very angry!

EllanVannin Sun 21-Oct-18 18:24:01

If those of his ilk hate our country so much then why don't they buzz off and try their ways of life in another country less tolerant ? Preferably those who have the death penalty for such atrocities.

nigglynellie Sun 21-Oct-18 18:24:12

Totally agree with you maddyone! While I'm sure that we are a fine upstanding nation which is a good thing, there comes a point where 'fine upstanding' becomes shorthand for' muggins written across our foreheads'! People like this odious man just laugh at us, think we're weak and futile, and can be manipulated and used as they see fit! As do the Russians! and most of the world!! We need to man up and face these demons and make it clear that we're not to be messed with when faced with with this sort of evil!

notanan2 Sun 21-Oct-18 18:31:23

I don't think being born in Britain is sufficient under our current laws to make one British. I know this with regard to a friend of mine, one of whose children is not British even though he was born here

The rules changed relatively recently (80s). People born here before that are British.

He is "home grown". Our problem. We need to address why brits are radicalised (to all kinds of extremism), we cant deport "our" problems