Gransnet forums

News & politics

Grenfell garden bonfire video

(34 Posts)
Baggs Sun 11-Nov-18 08:48:18

Let the morons laugh. Well said by Paul Embery.

POGS Mon 12-Nov-18 17:48:33

Miss Adventure

" It isn't the same as burning effigies, although that is in bad taste.

It was recreating the scene of peoples deaths, which happened only recently. "
-

The murder of politician Jo Cox was a wake up call as to the sick behaviour our politicians from ALL sides are having to deal with.

Death threats, threats of rape , vile anti-semetic abuse , threats against their family are disgracefully / shamefully day to day issues they have to deal with for serving on our behalf. Effigies of politicians hanging from a rope or with a knife in their back , being called c---s on placards is beyond bad taste in my book.

The placard waving activists , the burning of effigies of serving politicians in ' public' , in front of children gives the ' sick ' animals who spout their vile abuse a platform but it also culturally is saying ' Politicians are Fare Game ' for abuse and god knows what.

They are not in my opinion but as this thread shows not ALL posters agree so each to their own I suppose.

MissAdventure Mon 12-Nov-18 17:50:43

I keep thinking how I would feel if someone had recreated my daughters last hours on earth, complete with jeering and commentary.
I can't even bring myself to write about it, but it makes my blood run absolutely cold to imagine.
That's what these people have done.. more than bad taste, I think.

maryeliza54 Mon 12-Nov-18 18:10:33

Miss exactly - empathy is the word

maryeliza54 Mon 12-Nov-18 18:14:16

I just can’t help but wonder if the victims had all been white and the effigy makers had been Asian - no, don’t be silly Mary, just an idle thought

POGS Mon 12-Nov-18 18:32:43

I would think the reaction would be the same .

Your problem maryeliza is you bypass the comments on the thread that have emphatically denounced both the burning of the Grenfell Tower effigy AND those who did it.

You try to create some sort of spin story that posters haven't denounced the action taken by those who burnt the Grenfell Effigies and are by nature non empathetic because they raise the topic of other vile deeds that take place .

oldbatty Mon 12-Nov-18 20:05:06

I guess maybe there is a time and a place for mentioning other deeds and I still maintain burning an effigy of a political figure is not the same as the Grenfell situation.

People in public life know they are going to take some flack and are resilient. Children asleep in their beds aren't.

maryeliza54 Mon 12-Nov-18 20:43:33

Just watched part of today’s GT Enquiry - a policeman wept as he recalled seeing people at the Windows. Yep - some of you have nailed it. A poor taste joke with the moral equivalence of burning TM’s effigy

maryeliza54 Mon 12-Nov-18 21:12:27

Here’s a clue - TM was not really burned to death whereas in Grenfell Towers........