Gransnet forums

News & politics

Scottish Independence

(154 Posts)
Opal Fri 16-Nov-18 15:53:12

Sticking my head above the parapet here - preparing to be shot down in flames. My question is this - if Scotland wish to be truly independent, why do they wish to stay in the EU? I don't understand why the SNP are so keen to be independent of Westminster, but are still willing to be dictated to by Brussels. Can someone north of the border please enlighten me? This is a genuine question, I'm not posting just to fan the flames of proud Scots, I love Scotland. Now putting my hard hat on ……… smile

Jane10 Mon 03-Dec-18 10:29:01

Maizie I'm sure things are just as bad in England but I still want to be part of UK. United we have more of a chance of economic progress with resultant improving living standards for all. We'll all have to go through a pretty bumpy ride over the next weeks and months though. sad

mcem Mon 03-Dec-18 14:13:44

Why on earth would you apologise to non-Scottish grans? As intelligent women I think they'd have an inkling of what they'd find on a thread entitled Scottish Independence. The interested posters make an informed choice and join the thread while those who are not interested make an equally informed choice and opt not to contribute (although they may read posts).
I for one welcome posts from 'interested bystanders '.

Caledonai14 Mon 03-Dec-18 16:07:42

I certainly don't think anybody should apologise for both sides of a contentious subject being aired on Gransnet, especially if at least half the people responding are trying to answer the OP's question.

Only those of us really interested are probably going to read through seven pages, but nobody is forcing us either way. I have seen a suggestion on here that there should be a Scotland section, but then there'd have to be one for Wales and Northern Ireland as well, so News and Politics is probably the way to go for now.

Sometimes, I just look at the last few pages of something, then read back if I am interested. Sometimes, I just look at the OP's opening and think I am not really interested in that subject but I know it's there if I want to come back to it.

If we feel a thread has become unnecessarily long or even hijacked by arguments, we can always look away or start our own thread.

Lots of us surf silently here. It's a great learning experience.