Gransnet forums

News & politics

Leavers’ views on the deal please.

(96 Posts)
Nandalot Sun 18-Nov-18 11:32:57

Are leavers satisfied with the deal on offer ( as far as they know from what has been released)? If not, what would your ideal deal be?

Labaik Mon 26-Nov-18 18:44:20

Isn't it about more than economics, though. Surely, even if we were better off [which we won't be] Brexit means that we lose political influence in Europe and will become Trumps lapdog.

varian Mon 26-Nov-18 19:07:58

Exactly Labaik

varian Tue 27-Nov-18 18:08:16

The FT's financial editor Patrick Jenkins finds divided opinion in the City over Brexit between support for UK Prime Minister Theresa May's UK/EU deal and the possibility of a second referendum.

www.ft.com/video/5be8b798-7ab8-4107-8029-2b4a9737cbb5

varian Sun 02-Dec-18 15:58:16

Meanwhile Ukip are planning a "big" pro-brexit march. I very much doubt whether they could muster a tiny fraction of the 700,000+ who marched to protest against brexit.

According to a report in the Telegraph,

"A far right activist who claims to be one of the organisers of a Ukip rally and who attended a top level meeting with the party’s leader Gerard Batten has a conviction for attempted kidnap, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

Daniel Thomas, 29, has been instrumental in promoting “The Brexit Betrayal” march, a London demonstration in which the newly appointed Ukip advisor ‘Tommy Robinson’ is expected to speak on December 9.

In a picture tweeted by Gerard Batten on Friday, Thomas is photographed sat next to Robinson, the founder of the English Defence League, alongside the party leader."

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/12/01/revealed-far-right-ukip-brexit-demo-organiser-convicted-kidnapper/

crystaltipps Sun 02-Dec-18 18:07:23

What’s the betting this isn’t a good natured friendly bunch who are planning a peaceful protest.

maryeliza54 Sun 02-Dec-18 18:18:08

It’s interesting hearing NF’s view on TR possibly becoming a UKIP member - has anyone heard the outcome of that yet?

MaizieD Sun 02-Dec-18 18:26:48

At least they're almost guaranteed a not very nice day for it. Any time between now and March 2019 is likely to be cold and miserable..

Poor dears...

varian Wed 05-Dec-18 20:19:50

The latest Yougov poll found only 38% of the British people want to leave the EU.

mcem Wed 05-Dec-18 22:23:00

And I was one who took part in the Yougov poll and made it very clear that I am not one of that 38%!!

annep Thu 06-Dec-18 03:19:13

I don't care any longer. Well I suppose I do care but I can't talk about it any more. ? We should not be leaving imo. And nothing will solve our problem here in N Ireland. sad

MaizieD Thu 06-Dec-18 08:51:57

So sad for you annep. It should never have come to this.

The unity and peaceful future of the UK has been completely and comprehensively destroyed just because Cameron was trying stop tory voters going to UKIP and to 'heal' divisions in the tory party.

How on earth anyone can still see the tories as a credible and responsible party, after the utter chaos they have caused, is a complete mystery.

mcem Thu 06-Dec-18 09:02:04

annep it saddens me that you find yourself in this position. From the outset I was very concerned about the NI situation and found it frustrating that it was largely ignored until all of a sudden it became an issue!
A power struggle in the Tory party has brought us to this chaotic state. The chaos, the backstabbing, the dishonesty and the utter lack of compassion continue.

MawBroon Thu 06-Dec-18 09:07:32

Just a plea perhaps for not perpetuating this binary division of the population and present company into Leavers and Remainets - we are not cowboys and injuns, cavaliers and Roundheads, goodies and baddies.
I hope we are adults who have looked at all the facts available and hold an opinion, but that should not render us totally blinkered.
I did vote Remain but am aware of faults on both sides.
In the memorable closing lines of “Some Like It Hot”
“Nobody’s perfect”

MaizieD Thu 06-Dec-18 09:30:03

Your plea smacks of hypocrisy, MawB given the piece from the Telegraph you have just posted on abother thread. And your consistent 'othering' of a non UK born poster on these Brexit threads.

Binary division is entirely apropriate I'm afraid.

MawBroon Thu 06-Dec-18 09:33:32

Lay off the personal attacks please MaizieD - accusations of attacks and hypocrisy do not sit well

annep Thu 06-Dec-18 09:34:43

I agree Mawbroon. Neither leaving nor staying is perfect. There are pros and cons for both. And the issue seems to have taken over life. Thank goodness for Christmas as a distraction.

MawBroon Thu 06-Dec-18 09:45:41

Thank you annep you have I suspect more reason than most of us to dread the possible outcomes, but we also need to retain our common sense and sense of perspective.
Letting it seep into our personal lives to the point of verbal abuse is a sad reflection.

MaizieD Thu 06-Dec-18 10:01:25

Lay off the personal attacks

O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

MawBroon Thu 06-Dec-18 10:03:40

If lashing out at others makes you feel better MaizieD so be it.
It doesn’t change anything though.

annep Thu 06-Dec-18 10:58:42

Davidhs your comments on the DUP are unhelpful to put it nicely. I agree that maybe they should look at how they view (all) abortions and the issue of marriage. But regarding Brexit (hate that word!) they are trying to keep their position in the UK. I'm not going to discuss my own views on this. But just as some are entitled to favour a united Ireland, so some are entitled to want to remain part of the UK. People need to learn to be tolerant of others, especially in N Ireland.. And learn how to solve problems in an amicable way. Life's too short.
my last comment.