Gransnet forums

News & politics

I predict.....

(466 Posts)
Anja Fri 07-Dec-18 13:04:07

Theresa May will lose the vote on Tuesday.

Do you agree?

And then what will happen next........let’s see whose prediction is the closest. Perhaps let this thread run about 2 weeks and see who got it right, or nearly right.

Declare a winner just before Christmas.

Over to you ?

petra Mon 17-Dec-18 20:13:08

Oldbatty
When you say three or four days in a dingy with no water
I assume your talking about crossing the English Channel?
If it wasn't so serious that statement is worth a laugh out loud.

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Dec-18 20:15:34

in the same sense as up the creek without a paddle?

I think some are getting rather confused about their GGs.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Dec-18 20:35:21

I am permanently confused Jalima ?

oldbatty Mon 17-Dec-18 20:39:14

You truly are lacking in empathy petra and you love to laugh at me and belittle me don't you?

Of course I am not referring to the English Channel, I am talking about the experience prior to reaching Europe. It is heartbreaking what some of my friends have been through and what horrors they leave behind. I can't post details here, its too harrowing.

Oh and by the way ,your/you're

petra Mon 17-Dec-18 20:51:24

Oldbatty
I assume then that you're referring to the Med crossing?
Which takes us back to Grannygravys comment RE claiming asylum in the first safe country.
I know that if I was ever in that awful dire situation I would be more than grateful to the first country that accepted me.

oldbatty Mon 17-Dec-18 20:55:55

OK petra, you obviously have more information than I , and the asylum seekers here are all scroungers who get lovely houses, free education and access to the NHS.

Fair enough.

petra Mon 17-Dec-18 21:07:56

Oldbatty
I have no idea about houses but it's taken as a given that asylum seekers will be educated and receive medical care when needed confused

oldbatty Mon 17-Dec-18 21:18:02

Tell me more about education.what is on offer?

crystaltipps Tue 18-Dec-18 09:15:54

Many thousands of illegal immigrants have risked hiding in back of lorries or by sea and when here they have no papers and claim asylum. many wish to be here as they can more easily work under the radar, many have a community of fellow migrants from any number of different countries, and the authorities are incredibly stretched, understaffed and have minimal training, so little is done to remove or chase them up if they are ever discovered. No single country is really equipped to deal with this situation, so possibly this is one case where maybe working together, helping others is better?

trisher Tue 18-Dec-18 13:49:13

It's actually because many of them have some basic English crystaltipps courtesy of the British Empire and British missionaries who, among other things, insisted English was the language used in many places. "Working together" hang on isn't that what Brexit isn't going to do? Aren't we going to be on our own and in charge of our own borders? (Although God knows what will happen if the French decide that they don't want to police the channel ports and just allow people to pass!)

Anja Tue 18-Dec-18 13:59:54

David JC is caught between a rock and a hard place. Yesterday most MPs, of all political persuasions, were dismayed at the vote being put off yet again, for almost a month.

As leader of HM’s opposition he was left with little choice but to sum up the opinion of most of the house and issue TM with a no confidence motion.

Had he done nothing he would have be pilloried too.

The only other option, that of a no-confidence motion in the government would have thrown the country into complete disarray and made things even worse. He had no forewarning that TM was delaying the vote yet so had to make a snap decision.

Nicenanny3 Tue 18-Dec-18 14:03:14

Corbyn wouldn't win a no confidence vote against the government that's why he didn't call it he would have lost.

Fennel Tue 18-Dec-18 15:14:37

David - my reaction too. I started a new thread about it, "Why has no-one".
Perhaps they can be blended? mine can be put on here.

varian Tue 18-Dec-18 18:42:44

Prominent Brexiteer and Tory MEP Daniel Hannan has said that he believes Brexit will “not happen at all”.

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/daniel-hannan-tells-the-telegraph-that-brexit-is-over-1-5821286

POGS Thu 20-Dec-18 15:20:45

I predict the Irish Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar will be joining the European Commission Gravy Train within a year.