Gransnet forums

News & politics

I predict.....

(466 Posts)
Anja Fri 07-Dec-18 13:04:07

Theresa May will lose the vote on Tuesday.

Do you agree?

And then what will happen next........let’s see whose prediction is the closest. Perhaps let this thread run about 2 weeks and see who got it right, or nearly right.

Declare a winner just before Christmas.

Over to you ?

Day6 Fri 07-Dec-18 16:12:53

I suspect all Remainers in Parliament will pass this deal - one in which our Prime Minister showed her Remainer colours and betrayed the British public.

It will appeal to Remainer MPs and those who can be bribed by future roles/jobs/honours will ensure enough self-serving politicians will delight in locking the handcuffs which bind us to Brussels.

They do of course have to throw away the key as well.

The EU have said take it or leave it. Federal Europe here we come. angry

notanan2 Fri 07-Dec-18 16:12:57

(In practice that'll prob mean voting cons back in. I am not particularly a cons fan but it would be necessary IMO to keep the scary dogmatic labour party out)

Nonnie Fri 07-Dec-18 16:31:03

I find it hard to understand how TM can keep saying the same old, same old unless she has something tucked up her sleeve we don't have a clue about. Hasn't it been made abundantly clear to her that she will lose the vote? Someone suggested bribery and I don't want to believe it but how can she think she will win? How can JC think he could do something different? It all seems so obvious to me but not to them, maybe I am too stupid to get it. The EU hold all the cards, why isn't that obvious? They are only doing what we would do in the same circumstances.

maryeliza54 Fri 07-Dec-18 16:43:10

I predict she will lose the vote. After that I think I will just run away

maryeliza54 Fri 07-Dec-18 16:46:25

Jolly comforting to know that the Tories are not at all dogmatic and completely openinded re welfare benefits, fairer taxation and improving public services

paddyann Fri 07-Dec-18 16:47:58

why would any right minded ..and I dont mean right wing person vote for the tories.They are destroying lives on a daily basis all while their cohorts get richer by the minute.When the crash happened the richest had about 100billion now its 700 billion.What does that tell you about austerity? Its NOT a necessity its ideological made to punish the poor and reward the rich.There was a tory just last week who said bring on another crash ,its a license to print money .Meantime there are people who will have no income over christmas because of UC and 130.000 children in homeless units .Doing a great job eh those pillars of the community/tory crooks and clowns

kittylester Fri 07-Dec-18 16:52:50

I predict more bad feeling every where.

Labour are really scary (especially John MacDonnell, as marmight said) but I suspect they will have to get in so the people who think they are our best bet can see the absolute mess they will make of the job.

kittylester Fri 07-Dec-18 16:54:47

cherrytree, I do wish you hadn't done that!! tchgrin

maryeliza54 Fri 07-Dec-18 16:56:26

Well I’d like the Tories to get in because obvs they are utterly wonderful and not scary at all

Jane10 Fri 07-Dec-18 17:01:49

'Right minded'? That always means 'people who agree with the person who said right minded'!
Theresa won't run away. I bet she wishes she could though.

Maggiemaybe Fri 07-Dec-18 17:30:16

I predict that TM will lose next week’s vote, she’ll go shortly afterwards, the unctuous Michael Gove will smarm his way to the top job (God help us), and we’ll have a cliff edge Brexit.

And I might just take to my bed and pull the covers over my head.

Day6 Fri 07-Dec-18 17:41:51

I predict the Conservative party has well and truly cooked it's goose.

It's a gift for the communists, hard left, anarchists, anti-establishment brigade, blinkered students and Marxist Labour party. They must be gleeful.

All those who say "Oh I could never vote Tory" have the above, led by Jeremy Corbyn, as an option.

It really brings it home that we only have two options, Conservative or Labour. A political see-saw.

Corbyn to be PM - and power once again handed to him by Theresa May. Ye Gods.

The EU and a Labour government. Deep joy - not. TM has sold the voting public, and the UK, down the river.

Democracy is dead.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 07-Dec-18 17:49:29

If JC and his cronies get in I shall seriously consider moving abroad, to a non EU Country obviously!!!

Nicenanny3 Fri 07-Dec-18 17:53:25

She will lose the vote, if she doesn't cancel it first. There will be no general election because of the fixed term. If there is not a no confidence vote against her she's so pigheaded and deluded she will just carry on and try and get an amendment to the backstop etc from the EU if they won't budge we will leave on WTO terms next year ZIPPEE ? and she will carry on until the next general election is due unfortunately.

Jane10 Fri 07-Dec-18 18:30:32

DH thinks this next vote will fail but there'll be another one which will just squeak through due to lackof/fear of alternatives.

Luckygirl Fri 07-Dec-18 19:13:35

It is such a mess. Cameron threw a referendum at the people to appease his nay-sayers, and was so arrogant that he never dreamt that the result might go as it did.

The referendum was set up in a lackadaisical fashion that would have been crass in a sixth form debating society - no stipulated turnout, no stipulated margin......beyond belief!

Cameron, with his (relatively) stable majority promised that whatever the result he would see the process through then b******d off over the horizon to live off his fat, leaving chaos in his wake.

Then May (more arrogance) threw in another GE that did not go as she hoped so we ended up with a minority government in hock to a bunch of narrow-minded bigots who were bribed to support her - they have got their money and now they can vote as they please. A government as weak as hers is not in a position to negotiate with this vast organisation of the EU.

Dissatisfaction with the EU is not just the preserve of Britain. The rise of right-wing parties across Europe is I believe closely related to the monolith that is the EU not listening to grass-roots concerns. Brexit (and Trump for that matter) is the voice of people who have been trodden on for decades while the fat cats thrive. A recipe for chaos, and for a vote that reflects the chance that people grasped to give the government a bloody nose - leaving the EU was not the only thing that many people were trying to say.

Huge organisations are not responsive to local needs, and have a tendency to get carried away and stop listening. The principles of the EU were good at the start, but it has run out of control and that is why we have this vote that is plunging us all into chaos.

Cameron has so much to answer for.

My prediction? - chaos, simply chaos.

mcem Fri 07-Dec-18 19:21:58

Do you remember politics pre-brexit?
I do, but don't remember the posters who are now so anti, being so critical of Cameron & co back then. Maybe the current chaos has revealed what some of us always believed.
I think TM will lose the vote and be forced to resign.
Sleaze Gove will take over and will achieve no renegotiation but will do his utmost to convince us the he has achieved a good deal and maybe a few gullible souls will believe the rubbish yet again!
There will be a second referendum followed I hope by another , on Scottish independence, which will be gain a Yes majority because the scales will have fallen from the eyes of those who previously couldn't/wouldn't see the rottenness at the heart of the Tory party and ergo of Westminster.

nigglynellie Fri 07-Dec-18 19:24:09

Cameron is a complete coward and a fool, BUT Parliament allowed the referendum to be held as it was, Parliament agreed, once in a lifetime, brexit means brexit with or without an agreement, and now Parliament is running scared and trying desperately to backtrack on the very things it agreed!!!
Come back Guy Fawkes, all is forgiven!!!

oldbatty Fri 07-Dec-18 19:26:16

nigglie, I think i may love you.

Jane10 Fri 07-Dec-18 19:32:48

Argh no! Not another referendum. They are recipes for division, dissent and aggression. The last Scottish one was and so was the Brexit one.

Marmight Fri 07-Dec-18 19:52:32

Chewbaca. I know he isn't, that's why I said he should be !

Anja Fri 07-Dec-18 19:56:57

This thread isn’t about what is right or wrong.....it’s what YOU think will happen please.

Anja Fri 07-Dec-18 19:58:48

Luckygirl chaos is too vague....be more explicit

niggly can we have a prediction please.

oldbatty keep it clean

MaizieD Fri 07-Dec-18 20:03:16

we will leave on WTO terms next year ZIPPEE

There is no such thing as 'WTO terms'. If we don't get May's deal, or Remain we leave with no deals at all. Every single thing connected with the EU lapses (which includes trade deals, recognition of qualifications, manufacturing standards, co-operation in security operations and pursuit of criminals, etc etc. etc) It means utter chaos:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46480374

This is just one 'opinion'. For a really comprehensive view of the effects of 'no deal' I'd suggest that you visit Dr Richard North's blog where he went through all the implications months ago. and maybe have a look at the impact papers which the EU produced for the remaining 27 EU states last spring.

You have to be utterly crazy and irresponsible to advocate leaving with no deal. And whoever keeps feeding the gullible this rubbish about 'trading under WTO rules' is either terminally stupid or a self serving cynic who stands to make a lot of money from the ensuing chaos.

*NO COUNTRY IN THE WORLD TRADES BY 'WTO RULES' ALONE. I wonder why not?

Trading under WTO is so dreadful that countries make trade deals with other countries (which exempt them from the 'rules') and form trading blocs. They run as far and as fast as they can from WTO.

Blinko Fri 07-Dec-18 20:07:16

I agree with Niggly; and as for a prediction, same as Jane10.

But really Guido Fawkes had the right idea...