Gransnet forums

News & politics

Emergency debate tomorrow

(106 Posts)
ayse Mon 10-Dec-18 21:21:41

Is this farce never going to end? What a mess!

Nonnie Tue 11-Dec-18 12:24:33

Nicenanny do you think we should leave and not pay our debts?

MaizieD Tue 11-Dec-18 13:02:16

This 'Corbyn is a Marxist' is getting a bit like McCarthyism, isn't it?

I would argue, as I did at the time of the 2017 GE, that there is nothing particularly radical or 'Marxist' about the Labour Manifesto; it certainly isn't as radical as the post war Attlee policies and proposes nothing more radical in the way of social policy than can currently be seen in other European countries. As I have noted elsewhere recently, surveys have shown that Labour's social policies are approved of by a majority of the UK population so long as they don't have the word 'Labour' attached to them. Fear of Labour isn't rational, it's a product of relentless right wing propaganda from our largely right wing press.

When choosing a party to vote for we have to consider what it promises in its manifesto. There is nothing revolutionary in Labour's manifesto.

On the other hand, it seems that we are in the middle of a revolution now, brought about by the tories, no less. It's a dangerous revolution that is attacking our Parliamentary sovereignty and attempting to impose a dictatorship. It started with the imposition of fixed term parliaments by the Cameron government, which makes it well nigh impossible for our sovereign Parliament to get rid of failing governments and is continuing now as the tories steamroller through the parliamentary procedures and conventions in order to overcome the will of the sovereign Parliament. It is unprecedented for a government to be held to be in contempt of Parliament, as ours was last week and will be truly frightening if it gets away with it. Because the whole of our parliamentary system is set up to provide a check on the power of the Crown (i.e Her Majesties government) and so prevent an elected dictatorship.

If you're worried about a revolution if Corbyn gets into power you had better start worrying now about the tories destroying our Parliamentary sovereignty because they are paving the way to allow it.

Anniebach Tue 11-Dec-18 13:11:37

When we choose a party to vote for there has to be trust in the leader. I cannot trust a blatant liar such as Corbyn

JenniferEccles Tue 11-Dec-18 13:35:58

What Day6 said about the Labour party under Corbyn is factually correct, so say the comments were bull.....t is ridiculous.

And another thing - this country is absolutely NOT on its knees as someone said. Why do you think the EU desperately wants us to stay in their horrid controlling club?

crystaltipps Tue 11-Dec-18 13:45:20

Well we certainly are imploding politically, economically comes next. The £ is already tanking even more than it has done. The EU is not a “club” btw. Its a union of equal nations. It’s funny how those spouting “better together ” in the Scottish indyref are now claiming it’s best to be isolationist. Couldn’t make it up.

MaizieD Tue 11-Dec-18 13:57:09

What Day6 said about the Labour party under Corbyn is factually correct

Well, it wasn't, but why spoil a good bit of b*shit...

EllanVannin Tue 11-Dec-18 15:17:34

According to the Liverpool Echo 60% of it's people are calling for a second vote.
Those who voted to leave obviously forgot who provided the finance to build the city centre, Liverpool One shopping mall-------the EU !

Luckygirl Tue 11-Dec-18 15:21:45

All politicians are imperfect and most of them lie - or are extremely economical with the truth.

I agree with "Maizie* that the Labour manifesto is unremarkable as a leftist agenda - most importantly it does recognise that ordinary folk are suffering and that they should have an aim to do something about that. Given that most politicians lie at some point, it seems a pity to let view on Corbyn stand in the way of getting a government that has at least a small grasp of people's problems ad a desire to look at that.

We could have a lying bunch who are in favour of austerity and big business as the be all and end all - ah, that seems to be what we already have. sad

Anniebach Tue 11-Dec-18 15:31:39

Has no government failed to carry out its manifesto?

Joelsnan Tue 11-Dec-18 15:34:20

EllanVannin
Those who voted to leave obviously forgot who provided the finance to build the city centre, Liverpool One shopping mall-------the EU !
Where do you think the EU got the money to finance this building?...You and Me!
The EU does not generate its own finance. The UK is one of the biggest contributors to EU finance and receives a lesser amount back. Much of the UKs contribution goes on supporting the Admin infrastructure, some goes on developing poorer members and a small (EU dictated portion) returns to the UK.
Where do you think your 20% VAT goes?

humptydumpty Tue 11-Dec-18 16:01:48

Annie, point of clarification - is that excusing the current government?

Anniebach Tue 11-Dec-18 16:06:06

No humpty, just a question to all who seem to believe Corbyn will carry out his manifesto,

GrannyGravy13 Tue 11-Dec-18 16:17:09

Joelsnan I have posted on numerous occasions that the EU gives us back a small proportion of our contributions, it is our money returning to us not the EU’s!!!

petra Tue 11-Dec-18 16:40:17

EllanVannin
A serious question: where do you think the eu get this money. Do you think they have a 'nice little earner' going on somewhere?
You must believe they do as you state categorically that they provided the money.

lemongrove Tue 11-Dec-18 16:53:33

Oh the EU and their boundless generosity'! tchgrin

Anniebach Tue 11-Dec-18 17:07:39

Len McClusky has told Corbyn not to proceed with a ‘no confidence vote’ .

lemongrove Tue 11-Dec-18 17:11:45

I expect McCluskey tells Corbyn when to wipe his nose.

Granny23 Tue 11-Dec-18 17:12:49

The difference is that when the EU pays back some of the money we have contributed as members, it targets that money at areas in need e.g Hill farmers, Liverpool city Centre, Wales, the Highlands and Islands. Westminster, on the other hand taxes us all equally but seems to spend most of our taxes in London and the South East. For example Millions spent on the London Olympics, not a penny piece of UK taxes or Lottery money given to the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. Billions spent on new roads and bridges around London, Forth Crossing built entirely from Scottish Government Funds. I am sure Gransnetters in the other regions and Nations of the UK will have examples of their own.

Why, why, why are all the goodies - Celebrations, Events, Museums, Art Galleries, Palaces, Government Buildings, etc, concentrated in one city, which is not even central to the country as a whole? Why is the vast majority of MY taxes spent in and on a place which I have not visited since I passed through on my Honeymoon 52 years ago. I have never been back simply because the cost of travelling and accomodation is extortionate.

Anniebach Tue 11-Dec-18 17:30:14

lemon, Corbyn the great leader , many of his MP’s want him to go for the ‘no confidence vote’ but McClusky says no.

Wonder if it’s McClusky who writes his questions for PMQ

Joelsnan Tue 11-Dec-18 17:30:46

Granny23
I think you and others see the EU as some sort of benevolent cash cow. As endlessly reiterated the EU has no money of its own.

The EU cannot unilaterally decide to fund a project in any country. It would be like me coming to your house and decorating your living room in my choice of wallpaper because I think you should have it..
No, all applucations for funding have to be approved by UK agencies.
All funding the UK receives back from EU is only a fraction of what we have already sent.

petra Tue 11-Dec-18 17:44:48

joelsnan
You are absolutely correct RE the distribution of our money
Is there anyone else on here who thinks it's the eu's own money

GrannyGravy13 Tue 11-Dec-18 17:50:18

Petra - What comes back to us is a pittance of the UK's EU contributions, some just will not acknowledge this fact.

"There are non so blind as those who refuse to see"

Fennel Tue 11-Dec-18 17:50:35

"Len McClusky has told Corbyn not to proceed with a ‘no confidence vote’ "
I wondered why ? Because he knows they don't have any chance of sorting out this mess either.

Grandad1943 Tue 11-Dec-18 18:09:26

I believe Jeremy Corbyn is correct in not going for a vote of no confidence at this point in Theresa Mays shambles of a government.

After all, having the nation watch the Tory party slowly destroy itself over TMs handling of Brexit is most certainly very much in the Labour parties interests and probably the best way to bring about a General Election.

Even longstanding senior MPs in the
Conservative party now concede that the divisions in the party now run so deep it may well not survive as one identity.

Granny23 Tue 11-Dec-18 18:09:37

jolesnan What bit of when the EU pays back some of the money we have contributed as members led you to think that I regard the EU as a cash cow?