Gransnet forums

News & politics

A leadership contest!

(297 Posts)
ayse Wed 12-Dec-18 08:05:57

So now Mrs May is going to face a vote of no confidence! I find it difficult to believe that a political party would take this action at this time! She’s done well with this poisoned chalice and who could do better than she has?

Parliament has reached an impasse and is split just like the country.

This to my mind is a national emergency and maybe it’s time for a wartime style cabinet so that some consensus could be reached about the way forward.

What a mess!

Framilode Wed 12-Dec-18 11:24:23

I think she will survive but needs to change her approach. She needs to start answering questions properly instead of starting every answer with 'what I do think' and then just spouting out the line for the day. She also needs to hold the meaningful vote instead of putting things off all the time.

Beammeupscottie Wed 12-Dec-18 11:24:45

Been watching Brexiteers emphasising their Cause on T.V..
That programme "Walking with Dinosaurs" comes to mind.

Riverwalk Wed 12-Dec-18 11:34:23

Hilarious to listen to Lord Daniel Finkelstein (Tory peer and journalist) saying that it's Labours fault the mess we're in for not supporting this or that.

Even Nadine Dorries looked confused!

Margs Wed 12-Dec-18 11:42:36

I almost don't care who get's to be Prime Minister - as long as they finally give the WASPI Women a fair deal!

But I might as well wish for the moon......

paperbackbutterfly Wed 12-Dec-18 11:43:42

David Cameron is the weasel to blame for this mess. Where is he now? Probably sunning himself far away from the country he has wrecked.

Nonnie Wed 12-Dec-18 11:48:23

knspol "What surprises me is that no remainers mention how the other 27 countries might treat us if it's decided after all that we stay in the EU. Just look at how we've been treated during the negotiations!" How do you think they will treat us? They have said we can stay in on exactly the same terms as we currently have so I don't understand what you think they can do to us.

Beammeupscottie Wed 12-Dec-18 11:54:49

In the circumstances we have been treated well by the EU. What do people want? Why should they give us all the Cherries? They represent 27 Counties. Who do we think we are! We initiated all this; they didn't chuck us out.

counterpoint Wed 12-Dec-18 11:55:54

Nonnie you are right. And we could greatly improve our status in Europe if we were campaigning for the reforms that are needed to make the EU work better for all its members. Instead of forever trying to carp and push for special treatment. It would also help if politicians didn’t blame the EU for things that they themselves have pushed for.

eazybee Wed 12-Dec-18 11:57:27

No.
This is not a power struggle generated by a bunch of egotists, but a very real, deep -seated concern about Theresa May's incompetence.
She is failing to deliver the Brexit agreement she promised when she took office, her worst mistake being conducting the negotiations herself. She has agreed to concession after concession, received nothing in return, whilst systematically undermining Brexit ministers appointed for just that job.
Parroting 'this is the best deal we will get' is not good enough. After failing to honour her promise to hold a vote she should have withdrawn to No. 10, with the remnants of her cabinet, and forged a policy for a no deal exit, which is what she promised, until she halted the preparations in March.
Instead of which she raced around Europe exposing herself to yet more humiliation from the EU, who are playing her in exactly the same way as they played Ireland, Greece, Denmark and any other countries who are concerned about the form this organisation is taking.

Nonnie Wed 12-Dec-18 12:15:18

Beammeup* & counterpoint agree.

easybee do you really think TM did the negotiating? Have you seen all the people who follow her into talks? She is simply the figurehead, the work will have been done by civil servants, the same ones who would have done it whoever was in charge. I don't understand why so many people don't get this.

TM is irritating in many ways but let's not blame her for things she has no control over.

GabriellaG54 Wed 12-Dec-18 12:46:18

I wouldn't have that job for all the tea in India.
It's a poisoned chalice. Murmurings behind the hands, more plots than the Russians could dream of, someone always seeking to pull the rug from under your feet. Little co-ordination. Greed. Not too dissimilar to everyday life in any working environment. Hey-ho. Whoever takes over will find that the same scenario befalls them, sooner or later.
Such is life...grin

GabriellaG54 Wed 12-Dec-18 12:55:01

eazybee
It's easy to be an armchair critic.
I wonder, had you been her advisor
and had she followed your advice, how many would have castigated you for your role.
There are many who think that she could have done or said things differently but, think about it, would Mrs May have deliberately brought about her own downfall through careless negotiation? I very much doubt it. It's those in Brussels France and Germany who are upsetting the apple-cart. They who say yea or nay to her proposals. We should never have ceded our independence to that lot.

Riggie Wed 12-Dec-18 12:55:03

I can't believe any one would want to take on the job of PM if she goes, because they're not going to do any better and they'll be gone in a short time anyway.

The EU was never going to give us a great deal anyway. Why people couldn't/wouldn't see that before the referendum....

grandtanteJE65 Wed 12-Dec-18 13:11:50

Actually, coalition governments may be all right if they are a stop gap measure, as they were during WW2 to get out of the present mess, but otherwise they are not really an advantage.

Here in Denmark, we have had coalitions since the 1980s because we have so many parties that none are able to get the majority they need. So successive prime ministers have failed to do what they promised because they either genuinely cannot get the other parties in the government to back them up, or they say they can't.

PECS Wed 12-Dec-18 13:14:17

Good plan.. let's add fuel to the out of control fire!

seadragon Wed 12-Dec-18 13:16:59

Someone mentioned Jeremy Hunt as a possible candidate to replace Mrs May. Now that's REALLY scary.....

PECS Wed 12-Dec-18 13:24:01

Oh yes! My MP... he has kept his nose clean and a low profile. Other than his major public gaffe about calling his Japanese wife Chinese 'by mistake' and of course not really making any improvements to the NHS, he is fairly blemish free. Not sure what he stands for..probably whatever is in the wind today!

Craftycat Wed 12-Dec-18 13:27:30

The poor woman is obviously doing her best of a very hard job & TBH I feel very sorry for her- back stabbing at all levels.
Cameron dropped us in this with his sulky attitude to not getting his own way.
Lord preserve us if this finally leads to a GE & & Corbin gets in. I do rather doubt this though. I'm sure he is also terrified it might happen- can you imagine him trying to sort deals with EU countries.
It has certainly ensured that I will never vote for my own MP again as he is one of the ones who sent a letter & has shown his true colours - although I suspected it all along- a career politician looking to feathering his own nest.

JenniferEccles Wed 12-Dec-18 13:31:43

Just when we thought things couldn't get any worse...……..

WHO in their right mind would think now is a good time for a leadership contest?

There was never going to be a perfect deal. Why can't the MPs realise that?

ExaltedWombat Wed 12-Dec-18 13:39:21

I suppose is we're GOING to leave, it makes sense to have someone in charge who WANTS to leave.

Beammeupscottie Wed 12-Dec-18 13:46:41

Aah, but are we leaving. Surely all these shenanigans kicks Brexit further along the road. It could go so far, those who voted leave will probably be dead (or lost the will to live).

Day6 Wed 12-Dec-18 13:58:48

With the pound sinking, cost of living is bound to rise and for many finances are near the line!

You mean financial messes a bit like those in in Greece, Italy, France, Spain,etc, etc etc.?

The EU is NOT the saviour of any of it's member states.

We stay in and we will be bailing out the failed Euro and those EU crippled economies for ever.

I feel sorry for May. I hate her deal which ties us to the EU but I cannot imagine any other politician have an easy time of negotiating our withdrawal.She hasn't failed, she has been in an impossible situation because so many of our MPs do not want to honour the result of the referendum. Back stabbing galore.

Poor woman. I think she is a decent human being and has integrity, energy and doesn't rely on spin. She couldn't sort Brexit and her deal is the only one we'll get (thanks Brussels!) because basically the EU does not want us to leave and loose UK billions - which would be better spent here.

Misha14 Wed 12-Dec-18 14:01:51

Ladies, please. First, the referendum was merely advisory. There was no legal reason why it had to be implemented. Secondly, everyone seems to agree that leaving the EU will make us poorer as a nation and given that so many are having to resort to food banks isn't this enough to give us a reason for stopping the whole process. Which the EU says we can. Basically, we have got ourselves into a mess, because no one knew what the true implications of Brexit were and because we were lied to. Surely at this point we should step back, take a deep breath and move away from the edge. Finally, whatever the nation voted for, the government has the final say. They are supposed to be the people in the know who have our best interests at heart.

Sillyoldfool Wed 12-Dec-18 14:01:56

Trisher the Labour Party have virtually bankrupted the country each time they have been in power, and now they are led by a Marxist, so all hope is lost.

LuckyFour Wed 12-Dec-18 14:27:43

Nobody had a clue what they were voting for at the first referendum, it was ridiculous to have it without proper information. We know a bit more now so we should have another referendum. They should put together a concise list of proposals and changes (good and bad) which will happen if we leave the EU and we can then make an informed decision.