Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who will come crawling out of the woodwork?

(194 Posts)
Lily65 Tue 15-Jan-19 20:05:42

It strikes me the present disarray is an ideal opportunity for a person or persons to make a move and further their political ambitions.

I wonder who?

GillT57 Wed 16-Jan-19 18:16:17

Heartily agree varian. A government of the talents, where people did a job according to their skills and aptitude.

Lily65 Wed 16-Jan-19 18:55:58

Bravo varian.

mcem Wed 16-Jan-19 19:20:27

If only varian.
Stirring stuff from Gove at the end of the debate. His opening bid for the inevitable Tory leadership??
Heaven forfend!

mcem Wed 16-Jan-19 19:21:16

"Tory leadership contest"

varian Wed 16-Jan-19 19:25:40

I am beginning to think that part of the problem is so much being invested in the the role of of Prime Minister which encourages cloth-eared narcissism . That person has to be right all the time.

A better system might involve a coalition government with two equal partners as PM - my choice might be Dominic Grieve and Yvette Cooper. The Deputy PMs would be Vince Cable and Ian Blackford.

They would have to reach a concensus and share responsibilty. They could do Questions to the PM on alternate weeks.

I honestly think think they could represent the majority of the British people and get things done in a constructive co-operative way, including urgently addressing the issues which led to the narrow win for leave in the 2016 referendum. A lot of leave voters had legitimate grievances, wanted change and were fooled into believing that all their problems were the fault of the EU and could be solved by brexit.

Granny23 Wed 16-Jan-19 22:47:56

Varian You are forgetting that Ian Blackford, in common with every MP who represents a Scottish Seat. could never be a PM nor Deputy PM, as, under the EVIL legislation, he would not be allowed in the chamber for anything deemed to be England or England & Wales only bills.

POGS Thu 17-Jan-19 00:36:53

Granny 23

Can I ask you a question out of interest please.

Do you have any information / if when Nicola Sturgeon will call for a another Independence Referendum.?

I keep hearing SNP MP's talking about the prospect but like ' all the other parties ' nothing is usually more than playing to the audience,.

RosieLeah Thu 17-Jan-19 07:28:50

I think the recent events in this country are an indication that our whole political system needs to be changed. Mrs May's attitude to Brexit has reflected her personal feelings, and, as PM, she has had too much power. She has treated parliament with contempt, following her own course and ignoring the opinions of others. We need a new system, the present one-party system doesn't work.

Granny23 Thu 17-Jan-19 09:17:34

I am not privy to the thoughts of Nicola Sturgeon and her team but do see that there is enormous pressure from the wider Independence Movement to call a 2nd referendum NOW. However, there is another option, which is to declare, citing the Claim of Right, that the Treaty of Union has been breached, many times, and therefore the Treaty is null and void. The Claim of Right, which gives the people of Scotland the right to self determination, was verified recently at Westminster and has also been recognised by the EU. If this route were to be taken then the SNP MPs currently sitting in Westminster, would return to Scotland and sit instead in the Scottish Parliament.

While the SNP has been trying very hard, in good faith, to ensure a 'soft' Brexit for the whole of the UK, this now seems unachievable. Unlike Mrs May, Nicola has plan A and plan B with all the ducks (legal advice etc.) in a row for either option. She has always said that she would make her move when the outcome of Brexit is clear. There has yet to be any such clarity but as the deadline approaches, we can expect an announcement/statement in days or weeks.

If I were a gambler I would put my money on Burns' Birthday ............Coming shortly.

BRedhead59 Thu 17-Jan-19 09:42:44

May's Government would have lost the vote if we taxpayers hadn't paid for the DUP votes. Is this still the will of the people?

KateF Thu 17-Jan-19 09:46:03

Grammaretto, The United Kingdom voted as a whole body, not individual parts of the union.The majority voted to leave, which will happen on the the 29th March 2019 at 23:00hr.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 17-Jan-19 09:46:11

Feb up with the whole lot and May is only being propped up by the DUP who were paid to do so.

Kim19 Thu 17-Jan-19 09:50:14

Scotland? I thought it was a UK vote and matter?

AdeleJay Thu 17-Jan-19 09:50:24

I am sure that there are politicians from different parties who have leadership qualities & who could work well together. But I can’t see it happening at the moment. Sigh.

Kim19 Thu 17-Jan-19 10:01:28

My Mum always used to advise me to keep my eye on the quiet ones. Phillip Hammond currently fits this bill in my eyes. He creeps along silently and drops the occasional financial bombshell projection when it suits him.

maxdecatt Thu 17-Jan-19 10:01:46

The stinking barrel of choice is limited to about one digit.
We have heard Remoaners demanding a second referendum and talking as if it is a sure win for them. They forget that they had the same belief last time and could not believe, still do not believe, that they lost. So if a second referendum gives the same result "LEAVE" what will tey do? Demand a third referendum. Of course if they win they will claim it is conclusive and refuse the Leavers a third referendum. You see, the "establishment" only believe in democracy when it suits them. The rest of the time they are as dismissive of the voter as Charles 1, Marie Antoinette and Tsar Nicolas. They met a sticky end as a result. That block at the Tower could still be put to good use or maybre the French will loan us Madame Guilotine.

maxdecatt Thu 17-Jan-19 10:05:14

The way to deal with the Scottish question would be to repeal the Scottish government act. Nicola can then ttalk to herself about "Skortland" until she is blue in the face.

GlamM Thu 17-Jan-19 10:05:18

In the words of the X files. Trust no one. It’s an utter shambles of a disgrace and no party is fit to govern... bickering back stabbing my dick is bigger than yours kind of childish insanity that will continue to make us the laughing stock of the world. Perhaps we too should build a wall , but around parliament to keep those idiots in away from decent people. No matter how you voted nobody can be pleased or happy for this state of affairs. Beam me up

gillyjp Thu 17-Jan-19 10:06:00

In answer to the original post I'd say Boris. I know he's not some people's idea of a PM but at least when he went into battle er negotiations, for a deal with the EU he'd be a bit of a warrior. I think Theresa May is not taken seriously by those mysoginists that head up the EU, however much it pains and disgusts me to say that.

On another track I'd have loved to have been PA to Boris (too old now sadly) bet it would be hard work (keeping a track on him) but great fun too!

Gizzy48 Thu 17-Jan-19 10:06:26

Scotland, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar have been totally sold down the river.

patpat1 Thu 17-Jan-19 10:07:44

Personally I would like to see Boris have a go. He is highly intelligent and his written articles shove a l it of common sense. It’s a shame he is sometimes prone to come over as a buffoon!

Anniebach Thu 17-Jan-19 10:08:17

Yesterday a SNP politician spoke of ‘Scotland and the UK’, !

Pippa22 Thu 17-Jan-19 10:13:30

I have no idea where this will all lead but because it is not a party political situation why was this not approached as a cross party issue ?
Perhaps TM was too bullish and would not have been prepared to share the role. She has worked incredibly hard and I admire her determination but only now at the very last minute is she even considering all parties. But will she listen ?

Deed5y Thu 17-Jan-19 10:15:09

I think Emily Thornberry speaks a lot of sense. I agree with varian above. Much the best solution.

Momof3 Thu 17-Jan-19 10:19:51

I certainly don’t want the kind of Brexit negotiated by Farage and you do realise his children are going to carry on receiving all the benefits that being in the EU can offer. It also wouldn’t surprise me if he has German citizenship too.

He also has earned an ongoing wage from the EU and will receive a pension.

He is only interested in publicity and nothing else.