Gransnet forums

News & politics

What next?

(513 Posts)
PECS Tue 15-Jan-19 22:20:45

Just come back from watching a very moving Danish anti- war film: Land of Mine. Brought home how we should all be looking for our common humanity..not what divides us. Difficult & uncertain times to come for sure.

paddyann Tue 15-Jan-19 22:19:20

Lot of nonsense about the EU on here.We've done very well out of it since we joined.I dont understand the people in areas where they've had masses of EU funding voting to leave....do they REALLY think the UK government will make up the difference in their finances? Deluded !

eazybee Tue 15-Jan-19 22:14:07

The people who have created much of this chaos are the remain campaigners who refused to accept the result of a democratic vote, and have used every means in their power to thwart and destroy that result.
This has been compounded by Theresa May's attempt to appease an implacable EU, which is determined we shall not leave.

Davidhs Tue 15-Jan-19 22:02:39

The EU are not going to allow Article 50 to be revoked unilaterally in that way, they have said that a UK parliamentary vote could revoke it permanently. They are not going to change their red lines on freedom of movement etc, that would risk their core values, they would rather us leave than risk the EU.

Davidhs Tue 15-Jan-19 21:52:13

TM accepted the poison chalice to solve Brexit and will see it through to the end and so she should, anyone else, Tory or Labour would face the same problem, there is no majority for anything - at present.
It seems “no deal” is off the agend nobody credible wants it, but the general public being interviewed are saying “ sod the EU, leave” maybe the media is biased maybe not, but a second vote that says leave is not what parliament wants.

Sarahmob Tue 15-Jan-19 21:50:46

I don’t understand how we can revoke Article 50 and then start again. Democracy says we should be leaving (I voted remain incidentally). What worries me is that it’s a total shambles and we must be a laughing stock throughout Europe. Maybe a coalition govt would be the best way forward.

winterwhite Tue 15-Jan-19 21:26:09

Surely by any standard the prime minister should resign? How can she retain a shred of authority? Esp after delaying the vote for a month.
Then revoke Article 50 and start again.

Bridgeit Tue 15-Jan-19 21:19:57

I don’t think they care,
I feel sad for the younger generations.

dragonfly46 Tue 15-Jan-19 21:14:47

Unfortunately Labaik the ones I know are proud of what they have done!

Labaik Tue 15-Jan-19 21:09:52

I have been wondering tonight if those who have campaigned to leave the EU [and voted for it] are proud of what they've brought this country to sad ...

EllanVannin Tue 15-Jan-19 21:07:28

There should never have been a vote in the first place. We've always been okay in the EU especially as it's been they who've funded a lot of projects in this country.

Bridgeit Tue 15-Jan-19 20:57:37

Yes it is, who knows how it will all end!

ayse Tue 15-Jan-19 20:46:40

Where is the vote in the Commons going to take us next. Whether remainder or leaver, this is a disgraceful shambles!