Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is this bad news for Wales?

(29 Posts)
Izabella Thu 17-Jan-19 12:14:32

Just noticed a news update that Hitachi have pulled out of the development of the £16bn nuclear power station on Anglesey with many jobs on the line possibly up to 300. It also has implications for the second plant at Oldbury in Glos.

EllanVannin Thu 17-Jan-19 12:26:14

It wouldn't happen if the EU had our promise to stick with them. The EU have done a lot for Wales------with little in return if you read the full story.

varian Sat 19-Jan-19 18:28:53

When the UK voted to leave the European Union in June 2016, parts of Wales were among the most emphatic in making that decision.

Out of 22 Welsh council areas, there were only five in which more people voted to remain than voted to leave. In one council area, Blaenau Gwent, the vote in favour of leaving was 62%.

It has been nearly two years since that referendum took place and we are none the wiser about how exactly we will leave the European Union.
The Brexit deal put forward by Prime Minister Theresa May was emphatically rejected in Parliament on Tuesday, January 15.

As a result, there are now a range of things that could happen next, the most likely of which are set out here.

One of these possible outcomes is a no deal Brexit, which has become more likely this week, despite the majority of MPs being against it. This is how a no deal Brexit could affect all our lives. A major report last year also looked at exactly what Brexit could mean for Cardiff, one of five UK cities most reliant on EU markets.

As things stand, there is very little clarity but one thing is certain: a no deal Brexit means the UK leaves the EU on March 29 and everything associated with that relationship ends. One of those things is a great deal of money that the European Union allocates to Wales.

Wales currently receives around £680 million of EU funds every year , according to the Welsh Government.

www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/how-much-money-wales-gets-12765100

PECS Sat 19-Jan-19 18:32:21

There are none so deaf....

Anniebach Sat 19-Jan-19 18:52:35

May I just remind you, Wales is a country not a county.

The five council areas which voted to remain are the most affluent, Blaenau, Gwent is not, perhaps you know nothing of the poverty in Ebbw Vale ?

varian Sat 19-Jan-19 18:56:57

And surely by now we all realise that poverty in Wales was caused by successive UK governments, not by the EU which acted to mitigate the damage by helping the Welsh people.

Anniebach Sat 19-Jan-19 19:11:38

By now we all realise ?

paddyann Sat 19-Jan-19 19:31:38

Varian no one on the Brexit side will ever admit that its been succesive Westminster governments to blame for the underfunding and the neglect and mismanagement of services .Just the same as many north of the border blame SNP for all the country's problems ,even the ones that have been decades in the making.
Its a lost cause trying to explain it or to expect them to understand .Maybe when Brexit actually happens they'll see where the problems originated ..but then maybe not !Then they'll find someone else to lay the blame on.

Ilovecheese Sat 19-Jan-19 19:34:21

Hitachi have pulled out because nuclear power is now more expensive than any other energy and is very much more expensive than renewables.
No one could have predicted this would happen a few years ago, but it was becoming more likely when the Government cancelled the Swansea renewable energy project.

That was a very shortsighted decision, as was the decision of the Coalition Govt to cancel the loan to Sheffield Forgemakers who were going to manufacture wind turbines.

Renewable energy can't fulfill all the demand for energy in the UK, but can provide most of it. What is needed is some sort of back up energy source, but nuclear is now far too expensive and should no longer be regarded as a sensible option.

Renewable energy is now the sensible economic option, no longer a niche source.

Izabella Sat 19-Jan-19 19:56:06

Thank you ilovecheese Makes sense.

PECS Sat 19-Jan-19 20:00:18

My friends in Wales are all staunch Remainers for they recognise the benefit that has com from EU funds.

Anniebach Sat 19-Jan-19 20:02:36

As am I PECS

PECS Sat 19-Jan-19 20:05:26

anniesmile

Anniebach Sat 19-Jan-19 20:33:16

PECS in Wales as in England the areas which voted leave seem to have the same problems and perhaps the same reasons

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Jan-19 21:03:33

Is this bad news for Wales?
No

Perhaps now we will realise that nuclear is not the way to go.

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Jan-19 21:04:30

What is needed is some sort of back up energy source
Wave power ilovecheese - it is fairly constant.

Eloethan Sun 20-Jan-19 00:19:12

I believe nuclear is environmentally dangerous.

However, if we wish to rely much more heavily on renewables and energy saving measures then we must get a move on. From my recollection, several energy saving government subsidy schemes have been abandoned, which seems very backward thinking to me.

Jalima1108 Sun 20-Jan-19 15:37:56

Backward thinking and also an enormous waste of money in researching projects which have been abandoned.

Eloethan Sun 20-Jan-19 23:37:42

Yes, a dreadful waste of all the work, time and money that has gone in to it - and so stupid.

GabriellaG54 Mon 21-Jan-19 00:43:19

If only we had all these knowledgeable GN remainer ladies in government, there would be no stopping us.
I do wonder, with the wealth of information and views bandied about on various Brexit/political threads, how leavers won the vote, whether by 1, 101 or 10001.
Quite how none of you are in office astounds me, then again, maybe some of you are past politicians.
I'd be interested to know whether your MPs have tabled any of your questions, taken on board any of your ideas re Welsh funding post Brexit, or discussed the nuclear fuel fiasco with you.
So much untapped knowledge and such a shame not to have it publicly recognised. sad

Eloethan Mon 21-Jan-19 09:33:54

I haven't noticed you being backward in coming forward with your viewsGabriella so your sarcasm seems rather misplaced to me.

PECS Mon 21-Jan-19 09:51:38

Pot & kettle came to mind just on reading ..why?

GabriellaG54 Mon 21-Jan-19 17:43:04

Many 'comments contain several links to huge tracts of someone else's hard research, not even a well reasoned presis typed by the poster.

MawBroon Mon 21-Jan-19 18:18:38

Presis ?
Précis presumably.

Jalima1108 Mon 21-Jan-19 23:11:16

I'd be interested to know whether your MPs have tabled any of your questions, taken on board any of your ideas re Welsh funding post Brexit
Yes, he has smile thank you for asking