Gransnet forums

News & politics

Speaker John Bercow

(31 Posts)
varian Sat 19-Jan-19 19:07:30

Such is the anger with the Speaker at senior levels of government, it has been suggested he could be blocked from getting a peerage when he retires.

Ministers are furious at what they see as John Bercow's "bias" during Commons debates on Brexit.

The move would break a tradition dating back 230 years, that former Commons Speakers are automatically offered a seat in the House of Lords.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46913477

Eloethan Wed 02-Oct-19 19:25:43

I like Bercow.

Apparently Speaker Thomas took part in the decision to use the Aberfan Charity Fund to clear the remaining NCB waste tips - action that was certainly needed, but surely it should have been funded by the then Labour government, rather than seized from Charity funds.

He was apparently a great royalist and strongly disagreed with devolution and the EU. I don't remember him that much - apart from his Welsh accent - but, from what I've read, I'm not sure I like the sound of him.

Fennel Wed 02-Oct-19 18:45:38

ps in the later stages his deputy has taken over.

Fennel Wed 02-Oct-19 18:42:39

For those who don't like him, don't forget about the many other hours he spends covering debates such as this current one:
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcparliament
TG Parliament continues on other important things, since they were were recalled.

Nonnie Wed 06-Feb-19 15:43:43

He's the worst speaker in my lifetime I think.

I don't think he should be judged by his wife, would you judge a female MP by their husband?

I don't like automatic honours, I think they should be given to people who have gone over and above their job.

Jalima1108 Wed 06-Feb-19 15:35:33

Speaker Thomas was a creeping slug.
Yes, and I used to like him shock

Urmstongran Wed 06-Feb-19 09:11:28

Hoisted by his own petard.

Liz46 Wed 06-Feb-19 08:56:06

Lesley60 calls him a 'horrible, conceited, arrogant little man. Yes, I can't bear to watch him. Mind you there are very few politicians that I would wish to watch or meet. I think public confidence in politicians is at an all time low.

MawBroon Wed 06-Feb-19 08:26:25

I particularly enjoy Bercow’s appearances on “Dead Ringers”
“Ordah, ordah!”
Plus Bercow que Bercow! gringrin

Anniebach Wed 06-Feb-19 08:20:51

Speaker Thomas was a creeping slug.

Lesley60 Wed 06-Feb-19 01:47:14

I can’t bare to listen to Bercow, I think he is a horrible conceited, arrogant little man who loves the sound of his own voice.
The way he tries to belittle people, I think he has a chip on his shoulder can’t wait to see the back of him

POGS Sun 20-Jan-19 14:59:44

Deputy Speaker Labour MP Lindsay Hoyle is far more respectful than Bercow!

Is nobody interested in the connection between Bercow and the Dame Laura Cox Inquiry and I don't mean just the allegations against Bercow I mean the subsequent handling of the findings and what some see as a whitewash allowed to happen?

Jabberwok Sun 20-Jan-19 14:19:18

The only Speaker in modern times who commanded respect by firmness, dignity and scrupulous impartiality was Betty Boothroyd, closely followed by Speaker Thomas and Speaker Wetherall. Speaker Burcow and his odious wife are:- Odious! B.B was allegedly 'disgusted' at Speaker Burcows recent antics.

eazybee Sun 20-Jan-19 14:04:17

The only thing that bothers me about John Bercow receiving a peerage is his truly dreadful wife, who has done so much to humiliate him, being called 'Lady'.

RosieLeah Sun 20-Jan-19 12:20:44

When you're faced with a mob of undisciplined schoolchildren (aka politicians) who have to be kept under control, it is necessary to shout and assert your authority. I think he does an excellent job.

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Jan-19 22:41:07

Never mind a peerage - he should be nominated for an Oscar as The Greatest Showman - he would certainly give Hugh Jackman a run for his money
(But not in The Most Fanciable Male category -sorry John.)

POGS Sat 19-Jan-19 21:55:13

If the recent Dame Laura Cox Inquiry into bullying / harassment in Parliament was respected a bit more by our weak Parliamentarians the question may be more easy to answer.

lemongrove Sat 19-Jan-19 21:23:18

Oh I think he would mind if he wasn’t ‘elevated’ grin
I don’t think he will be a loss to HOC or HOL where women are concerned.

POGS Sat 19-Jan-19 21:18:59

It could also be said past Chancellors of the Exchequer, Prime Ministers traditionally get a peerage but that has not happened to Osborne, Brown, Blair, Cameron as an example.

Should they?

Iam64 Sat 19-Jan-19 21:12:53

This thread is good fun (so far). Its made me smile and that may be a reflection of Bercow, whatever else may be said of him, he isn't boring and does raise a grin occasionally. Much needed in these troubled times.

Fennel Sat 19-Jan-19 21:10:10

Pogs grin
And I shouldn't think he cares whether he gets a peerage or not.

POGS Sat 19-Jan-19 20:56:00

"The move would break a tradition dating back 230 years"

Well he has just set a ' Precedence ' in that direction!

PECS Sat 19-Jan-19 20:19:25

trisher grin gringrin

trisher Sat 19-Jan-19 20:16:58

I like the Labour MPs comment that if he can't go to the Lords they will have to keep him as Speaker for years to come! Don't particularly like him and he is a bit dodgy but he must have some good points if he has upset the government

PECS Sat 19-Jan-19 20:09:23

I think Speakers d have to have a bit of drama about them to be heard ofver the general rabble. You do not become a politician if you are a shy retiring violet! I am not sure if I would like him personally if I ever got to know him but he stands no nonsense and that is part of his job! I don't worry about him that's for sure!

Anniebach Sat 19-Jan-19 19:42:55

He is liked by the backbenchers,