Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will Nigel Farage be Corbyn's nemesis?

(59 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Sun 20-Jan-19 18:02:41

After reading the news that Nigel is about to throw (or hurl) his hat into the ring yet again, I just hope that he chooses his cohorts more wisely this time.
He's the only one who can sort the wheat from the chaff as far as Brexiteers go and I for one, hope that he helps us to weigh anchor and see off all comers.
What say you?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 21-Jan-19 10:20:18

GabriellaG54 The toys were "weebles" The slogan we wobble but won't fall down!!! Also available as bath toys.

trisher Mon 21-Jan-19 11:29:15

We loved Weebles and so do my GCs!
As for Farage does anyone really believe this man, who pretended to be a man of the people, but was educated at a public school where he became a supporter of Enoch Powell. who is anti the EU, but of his 4 children 2 are entitled to Irish passports, and 2 to German passports (so no worries about leaving for them). It's amazing how many people fell for this duplicitous, self-aggrandising, con man!

dbDB77 Mon 21-Jan-19 12:01:08

I agree with merlotgran - I don't like NF but I respect the fact that he is clear & precise in his views and actually answers the questions put to him - compare this with Corbyn's answers on Brexit - "everything's on the table" confused

trisher Mon 21-Jan-19 12:07:03

So it's OK to take a salary from an organisation you don't believe in- that's being clear and honest is it? It's easy to answer questions when you know there is B*** all chance of ever having to put anything you say into practice.

MawBroon Mon 21-Jan-19 12:35:51

Many years ago, too many for some to remember, there was a certain bath you, a little round character which, no matter how many times you pushed him under the water, always bobbed up again
In that regard, NF and I have some similarity.

[grin{grin

Jalima1108 Mon 21-Jan-19 12:38:52

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!

Describes NF very well indeed.
And, of course, several others.

GabriellaG54 Mon 21-Jan-19 15:10:21

Sorry folks.
Weebles were much later.
I was talking about my own childhood and the years 1949-53. It was a basic celluloid sphere with a spherical head and painted features. smile

merlotgran Mon 21-Jan-19 15:58:05

Oh Weebles bring back memories of DSiL trying to explain the weight distribution of a ship and why these massive, top heavy cruise liners don't topple over and sink.

He demonstrated with a weeble in a washing up bowl.

After the second bottle of wine I think I got it. grin

paddyann Mon 21-Jan-19 16:43:06

I see in todays press mr MOGG is best pals with Farage and wants him to join the Tories....I shall add that to my very...very long list of reasons why NOT to join the tories .

trisher Mon 21-Jan-19 16:48:04

Ugh what a revolting thought! Could be a thread- Who wouldn't you want to have to dinner, or what combinations of people could you manage to host before you finally threw up!!!

GabriellaG54 Mon 21-Jan-19 17:23:04

Are you actually an adult trisher or a 5yr old trapsing round in your mum's high heels?

GabriellaG54 Mon 21-Jan-19 17:24:18

We can do without reds in the blue sector.

trisher Mon 21-Jan-19 17:25:53

At least I haven't had a sense of humour extraction GabriellaG54 , funny what age does to some people!

MawBroon Mon 21-Jan-19 17:26:55

What on Earth has that got to do with anything? confused

GabriellaG54 Mon 21-Jan-19 17:28:59

Only one good reason is needed, if it's good enough.
Only closed minded people completely and irrevocably rule out changing their minds.

MawBroon Mon 21-Jan-19 17:32:07

Another quote from the calendar GabriellaG?
We used to have a member who posted one such bon mot per day hmm

GabriellaG54 Mon 21-Jan-19 17:32:34

Yes indeed. Aging from birth and I'm not 'some people'.
Dinner party conversations be at pre- school ' tittering' level in your area.

GabriellaG54 Mon 21-Jan-19 17:32:56

* must be

MawBroon Mon 21-Jan-19 17:48:48

Yes indeed. Aging from birth and I'm not 'some people
Dinner party conversations be at pre- school ' tittering' level in your area

“Ageing”?
What on earth does your second sentence mean too?
Which area would that be I wonder?

trisher Mon 21-Jan-19 17:58:37

Only closed minded people completely and irrevocably rule out changing their minds.
Many people are under the mistaken impression that the first person who says "You're just being closed-minded" in a debate is automatically the winner; frequently, the first person who says this has simply run out of facts.
It isn't closed-minded to have principles is it? Or to prefer to eat in congenial company?

varian Mon 21-Jan-19 18:02:11

I do hope GG54 that you have not irrevocably ruled out changing your mind because your mind most ceratainly needs changing.

GabriellaG54 Mon 21-Jan-19 18:24:45

Are you a SW or mental health professional?
If so, you can give me some free advice.
I'm very content not to be the same as the herd, to not have the herd mentality.
I value my independent train of thought and the fact that I don't need to have my views confirmed or applauded by anyone else in order to feel good.
I need no chorus of approbation.
Obviously, it works for me as I have no financial worries or health issues whatsoever and my home, family and social lives are as lively and interesting as I want to make them.
I wish you well.

MawBroon Mon 21-Jan-19 18:29:01

GabriellaG you appear to have come up with some frame of mind of your own invention and are arguing against it.
confused
Empty room and argument spring to mind.
However if justifying yourself makes you happy, so be it.
(Nobody else is bothered)

varian Wed 23-Jan-19 17:51:51

An MEP has been applauded both in the European Parliament and on social media for exposing Nigel Farage’s hypocrisy over Brexit - and for doing what many British politicians have failed to do.

Dutch MEP Esther de Lange was posing a question to Angela Merkel when she first announced she had to get something off her chest before she asked her question. De Lange told the Parliament not to “take his grandstanding too seriously”.

Pointing to the former UKIP leader, she told those in Strasbourg: “This is a man who led his party and country to the Brexit vote – only the next day to admit he lied and tricked and jumped his ship and left his party.”

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/dutch-mep-esther-de-lange-criticises-nigel-farage-over-brexit-1-5778648

Bridgeit Wed 23-Jan-19 18:59:49

Just read OP. I’m a bit confused, NF is the chaff isn’t he ! ?