Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can anybody explain Brexit please?

(253 Posts)
Lily65 Tue 29-Jan-19 13:17:40

Seriously, without creating bad feeling, I cannot understand it and don't know who to believe.

MaizieD Tue 29-Jan-19 17:07:55

I think all those who voted knew what was entailed at that time

I'm glad some people did because neither the Leavers or the Remainers in government seem to have a clue what leaving entails. Perhaps you could lay it out in detail, sodapop

Lily65 Tue 29-Jan-19 17:24:47

I think re the " make our own laws" there was an element of " we'll show 'em".

I absolutely do no think many people knew what was entailed.

Lily65 Tue 29-Jan-19 17:26:29

www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jan/29/nhs-cancels-blood-donation-sessions-in-dover-around-brexit-day

Greta Tue 29-Jan-19 17:57:27

How could all those who voted possibly have understood all the complex issues? This is the question I asked my MP. We elect them to make these decisions on our behalf. Our government chose to delegate their responsibility. Perhaps because they did not understand all the issues!
I have several 'Leave' friends. Being an EU-national I now have to apply for the so called settled status. It's almost amusing; I've now lived here for 45 years but that is obviously not 'settled' enough. When I mention this to 'Leave' friends the comment I get time and time again is ”but we didn't mean people like you”!

MaizieD Tue 29-Jan-19 18:03:28

Official data from the Office for National Statistics, found that in 2014 alone Britain's contribution was £19.1 billion.

Where on earth are you getting these absurd figures from, Day6?

Here's a blog trying to objectively set out the facts on UK's contribution in 2014

In total, the EU’s revenue for 2014 was €144 billion of which approximately €14 billion (or 9.7%) was contributed by the UK.

14 billion euros is much less than £19 billion; it's more like £11 or £12 billion . Where has the extra that you are claiming come from?

select-statistics.co.uk/blog/much-eu-cost-uk/

Lily65 Tue 29-Jan-19 18:03:37

Ah yes, not people like you.

Not people like the nice middles class Pakistani family who live next door. We don't mean that kind of immigrant.

People don't get it do they?

Esspee Tue 29-Jan-19 18:25:55

Greta
We do not elect MPs to make decisions on our behalf. MPs are elected to represent the wishes of their constituents. They need to be reminded of this.

Anja Tue 29-Jan-19 18:33:18

Good post Nonnie

Day6 Tue 29-Jan-19 19:12:50

much of our employment law came from them. Ask yourself if it is worth giving up the things you don't like in order to damage our country

Er, Nonnie, that is a red herring and I expect you know it.

It is part of Project Fear to suggest all human rights in the UK will go to pot when we leave the EU. It is scandalous to suggest it.

The Withdrawal Agreement, ended the power of the European Court of Justice in the UK. All existing EU legislation was copied across into domestic UK law to ensure a smooth transition on the day after Brexit. ... The UK Parliament can then "amend, repeal and improve" individual laws as necessary.

From the BBC, June 2018.

The EU Withdrawal Act, as it is now known, will also repeal the 1972 European Communities Act, which took Britain into the EU and meant that European law took precedence over laws passed in the UK Parliament.

MaizieD Tue 29-Jan-19 20:01:44

It is part of Project Fear to suggest all human rights in the UK will go to pot when we leave the EU. It is scandalous to suggest it.

Really? shock

When Theresa May is talking of doing away with the Human Rights Act and Brexiteers have been looking forward to 'cutting red tape' for businesses - particularly regulations affecting workers.

MaizieD Tue 29-Jan-19 20:02:40

Where did you get the figure of £19 million from, Day6?

Lily65 Tue 29-Jan-19 20:09:27

Please really simply and without confusing me ( easily done) somebody tell me what is going to be good about not being in the EU?

Also why the need to say Project Fear.....can we not just acknowledge that at the very least it is a time of uncertainty and to be worried is a normal reaction?

crystaltipps Tue 29-Jan-19 20:40:05

Well for the everyday person there isn’t going to be any tangible benefit from leaving the EU for a long time, if ever. If you run an off shore investment fund, buy luxury property with foreign currency or speculate on financial futures you will be fine, especially if you maintain an office in an EU country. Dodgy financial deals in the U.K. will be outside of the new EU Regulations due to come into force in April. Funny that.

Urmstongran Tue 29-Jan-19 21:09:18

Just finished watching the voting on the amendments tonight in the HoC. Yvette Cooper’s amendment to extend Article 50 for 9 months was voted down. Chukka Ammuna was gutted - he wanted a 2nd referendum and hoped this delay would set the scene to provide one. When you ask Labaik. ....

‘What if the 11th hour negotiations don't go to plan?’

Well now YC amendment has failed, a ‘no deal’ Brexit is the legal default position. Thank goodness it is. I know we don’t want it, but neither do the E.U. It provides our one remaining negotiating strategy. It helps to focus mind - on both sides - to work out a deal. If we didn’t have that option (a bit like playing poker) the E.U. would have no compunction to working out a deal. Now they have to or face hardship too.

Hopefully we can now work towards that deal!

Lily65 Tue 29-Jan-19 21:17:26

God what a total and utter nightmare. I seriously cannot believe this is happening.

GillT57 Tue 29-Jan-19 21:42:41

It is a complete nightmare of lies, obfuscation and venal self serving MPs putting their own careers before anything else. If this is taking back control it stinks.

ayse Tue 29-Jan-19 22:22:39

I agree, total nightmare. I don’t think E.U. will renegotiate anything, as this has been made clear. If this goes on, IMO catastrophe awaits. This country is loosing all credibility. Mushroom management and p***-ups in brewery spring to mind.
Does anyone look forward to being an outpost of the USA?

Labaik Tue 29-Jan-19 22:42:25

The deal, as it stands, has taken a long time to negotiate. Why on earth would the EU change it. They are supporting/caring for one of their own, and so they should. The votes, tonight were still pretty much 50/50, as was the referendum. How can a country heal itself when it is totally split down the middle. As for the yellow vested brexiters shouting 'Soubry is a Nazi, Soubry is a piss head' well, this is what Brexit has unleashed upon this country. Ashamed of the place; you bet I am sad….

Missfoodlove Tue 29-Jan-19 22:45:54

Here’s a great analogy.
www.facebook.com/406437063156178/posts/528615510938332/

Urmstongran Tue 29-Jan-19 23:44:04

Brilliant MissA ❗️

Day6 Wed 30-Jan-19 01:28:33

Lily, it is pointless commenting on a thread like this. As you know, Project Fear is the incessant scaremongering of Remainers. There will be a period of adjustment when we leave the EU - of course there will. The boat will rock, for sure. Remainers are convinced it will sink without a trace. The UK....really?

A sense of proportion is needed, not the crystal balls the the doom mongering Europhiles keep gazing into.

There is an element of "wait and see" about life outside the EU, of course there is, but there was too when we joined the EEC decades ago. No one then could have predicted it would morph into the all-encompassing behemoth the EU has become. It's about far more than trade today.

crystaltipps Wed 30-Jan-19 06:47:02

I’m glad you have so much faith in our current crop of politicians. Trouble is much of project fear is already happening. No we won’t sink without a trace - who said that.? But we won’t be the new utopia either. We were told the boat wouldn’t rock - it would be all plain sailing to use your analogy. More like up sh*t creek without a paddle.

Lily65 Wed 30-Jan-19 09:16:28

I'm sorry you feel it pointless to comment. There are very few places where I can openly discuss and own up to my lack of understanding. I cannot be the only person who genuinely doesn't understand what's going on and feels nervous about the future.

MaizieD Wed 30-Jan-19 09:24:52

Day6
Where did you get that figure of £19 billion from?

I'm sure that you don't want to be telling untruths about anything to do with the EU. I'd be relieved to know that it's an accurate figure.

Otherwise I shall have to conclude that everything you post about the EU is unsubstantiated tripe.

Fennel Wed 30-Jan-19 09:42:35

Lily "I cannot be the only person who genuinely doesn't understand what's going on and feels nervous about the future."
You're certainly not the only one.
The trouble is most people seem to think they know (including MPs) but are just hanging on to some myth or other.
I'm absolutely astounded at the decision to 'go back to Brussels'. Can't they see no is no?
And if I hear that word b..k...p again .........
Just my opinion , not in the mood to argue.