Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can anybody explain Brexit please?

(253 Posts)
Lily65 Tue 29-Jan-19 13:17:40

Seriously, without creating bad feeling, I cannot understand it and don't know who to believe.

Labaik Fri 08-Feb-19 13:01:32

So; it's all about the EU not allowing us to take VAT off womens sanitary products. Silly me; I thought it was to turn this country into a tax haven. But how commendable of us; we shall go down in history as the country that ruined it's economy and took away the future of it's young people so women wouldn't have to pay a few pence on a packet of Tampax. Those of course, that don't have to rely on food banks for such items. #proudtobebritish

jura2 Tue 05-Feb-19 20:54:03

Thank you.

Yes I have seen it - my sil is from NI - and I know how strongly he and his family feel about this.

MaizieD Tue 05-Feb-19 20:12:54

It's 'beyond the pale', jura.

A 'pale' is part of a fence (we still talk of 'palings' in connection with fences) and, ironically, it refers back to mediaeval times when England controlled part of Ireland. The part England controlled was fenced off. If you were in the English controlled bit you were 'within the pale' and if outside it, you were 'beyond the pale'. (The implication being, I think, that you were a bit of a barbarian).

Nothing much has really changed in the past 600 years or so, apart from the fact that for a large part of the time England has 'controlled' the whole of Ireland; mostly by exploiting them and trying to repress the religion of the majority of Irish. And they even regarded the Irish as barbarians for the greater part of that time. I suspect that some English still do.

Has anyone seen the appalling petition to the UK parliament asking that Ireland be invited to join in union with the UK?

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Feb-19 19:57:17

The last 2 years' of negotiations and turmoil just would not have happened if Remain had been the outcome of the referendum.
Having just watched the first two parts of 'Inside Europe - Ten Years of Turmoil' I've come to the conclusion that a state of turmoil seems to be the status quo for the EU.

Labaik Tue 05-Feb-19 19:41:15

He missed out politicians being threatened and, indeed, murdered....

jura2 Tue 05-Feb-19 17:11:48

Oh indeed- the ghastly irony is just beyond the pale (pail?)

Nonnie Mon 04-Feb-19 16:36:31

Another expert's comment:

Krishnan Guru-Murthy

I wonder if, when demanding new elections and leadership in other countries, the British political class ever think : ‘shortages, mass demonstrations, political chaos, allegations of election fraud, constitutional crisis. How do these poor countries get into such a mess?’

Fennel Mon 04-Feb-19 16:31:09

Ironically, Sunderland was one of the strongest Leave areas - 61%. Why?

Greta Mon 04-Feb-19 15:59:21

Pippa: it seems the Remainers all knew what they were voting for and Brexiteers didn’t and are ignorant !

There is a difference here, isn't there? Remainers knew they voted to remain. They voted for the status quo. The last 2 years' of negotiations and turmoil just would not have happened if Remain had been the outcome of the referendum.

Nonnie Mon 04-Feb-19 15:37:16

I think governments have always given grants to help companies move into deprived areas. I read that M Thatcher was responsible for getting Nissan into Sunderland. What I would like to know more about is the 'reassurances' about Brexit TM gave them 18 months which they now feel are not there.

Labaik Mon 04-Feb-19 15:28:44

And now there is evidence that Nissan were given money by the government to carry on producing cars in this country. Although most of us thought that was the case at the time it is only now that we know for certain. How many more bribes have been given ? Or will now have to be given to companies that didn't get one. How disgustingly underhand and corrupt the whole thing is. So ashamed of a country that I used to be so proud of.

Nonnie Mon 04-Feb-19 15:22:23

Pippa it is as wrong to generalise about Remainers as it is to generalise about Leavers and worrying too because imo it shows a lack of understanding. Like all those soundbites about experts and project fear. That's all they were, soundbites designed to impress those who either couldn't or wouldn't check the facts. Of course non of us knew, not even the politicians as has become increasingly obvious over the last 18 months when they discovered that those wonderful promises could not be delivered. sad

Granny23 Mon 04-Feb-19 14:42:31

Just when you thought this whole brexit debacle could not get more ridiculous, this petition appears

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/235821

Granny23 Mon 04-Feb-19 14:38:57

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/235821

jura2 Sun 03-Feb-19 18:28:59

inktank.fi/this-list-of-all-euromyths-printed-by-uk-media-proves-how-much-right-wing-press-lies/?fbclid=IwAR1SR1XJnPoXwG_bq3-hjOu0ZeAry16zon0bi1qmIQsxzePxagR6a8EdFBM

like those, all lies, pages and pages, and pages, and more pages.

jura2 Sun 03-Feb-19 18:28:10

Actually, NO. Most remainers would agree that no-one knew, not even Cameron, not even Mrs May- or anyone in the Government. And that is the very point.

Some of us did try to listen to information from experts, like Prof Dougan from Liverpool Uni- even though all experts were dismissed as 'project fear' (all turning to be true, one by one, currently). And some of us avoide the lies and peddled by the tabloid Press and Farage and co, day in, day out. But none of us 'knew'- no-one.

Pippa22 Sun 03-Feb-19 18:17:16

Beautifully put Day 6 but expect backlash as it seems the Remainers all knew what they were voting for and Brexiteers didn’t and are ignorant !

jura2 Sat 02-Feb-19 11:13:07

I keep looking at the title of this thread ...

and at the end of the day, there is nly one possible answer. Very simple:

NO!

Lily65 Sat 02-Feb-19 11:10:51

Well perhaps a few will be along soon. Lets see.

Urmstongran Sat 02-Feb-19 11:03:11

Ah I understand now Lily65 what you mean. As I’m not a UKIP supporter you lost me along the way! ?

MaizieD Sat 02-Feb-19 10:54:16

some have said words to the effect that Nigel Farage can hold a crowd,

Hitler could 'hold a crowd'....

Lily65 Sat 02-Feb-19 10:47:41

Some posters have said they value NF no nonsense style, his plain speaking, his refusal to play by the rules.

As I said , I have heard him on TV and in real life and I can see what they mean. Of course beneath the facade lies a different message and story.

Tommy Robinson, I just don't get it at all.

It would take some guts for somebody to praise him and his beliefs. Of course nobody will do that because rightly so, I assume many other posters would respond in an unfavourable manner.

Shirls52000 Sat 02-Feb-19 10:32:44

youtu.be/Xm6Id3Qt8Wk

This is one of the best analogies I ve seen from the comedian James Acaster

Urmstongran Sat 02-Feb-19 10:32:01

So why would it take ‘guts’ to explain? That’s the remark I found offensive.

crystaltipps Sat 02-Feb-19 10:28:45

First time I’ve heard lying described as “talking sense”. Anyone hear the Farage being taken apart by the Irish female reporter?