Gransnet forums

News & politics

Transactional politics?

(94 Posts)
ayse Fri 01-Feb-19 02:57:03

Found this on BBC news website. It sounds like bribery to me when money is promised for a local project (under £1mil) in return for a vote. So unprincipled or is it just me?

janeainsworth Fri 01-Feb-19 04:24:29

No, not just you ayse.

MaizieD Fri 01-Feb-19 08:46:18

It's an ancient practice, promising advantages in return for votes. That's how governments kept their supporters in line in the days before party Whips. Walpole was doing it in the 18th century. I think we like to believe that it no longer happens but the Whips do it now with a mixture of blackmail, if they know something (or things) that an MP would rather not have made public, or by a promise of some government office in the future..
May is just being more upfront about her bribery attempts than is usual in politics. But she is very desperate.

Politics can be a corrupt and dirty business. I think it stinks but I expect that POGS will be along very shortly to shout 'hypocrisy'.

MaizieD Fri 01-Feb-19 08:48:08

P.S. I hope the Labour MPs told May just what she could do with her bribes

PECS Fri 01-Feb-19 08:55:04

Historically has been psrt of politics. Sad we are returning to this,as an acceptable way to be. Sod your principles and what your constituents want have the cash & give me your vote! Money talks & buys influence .. as it did pre referendum & during campaigning.

ayse Fri 01-Feb-19 09:18:37

They always say money talks but rather naively I hoped there would be more principled politicians during this time of crisis. How any government can put people in prison for non payment of TV licence and fine them huge sums of money for not filing tax returns when the ‘haves’ are so complicit in corruption, is beyond my understanding. As usual, do as I say but don’t do as I do.
I feel so angry that the poorest are pilloried whilst these ‘upstanding ‘ citizens get away with so much with little comeback. I’m disgusted by this behaviour and wish something could be done to prevent it.
I think I’m wishing on a star!

grammargran Fri 01-Feb-19 09:55:25

It’s bribery, simple and not very pure ......

Luckygirl Fri 01-Feb-19 10:00:34

And the DUP.

Telly Fri 01-Feb-19 10:00:53

Exactly how much did the DUP get for propping up the government?

123coco Fri 01-Feb-19 10:06:50

Amazing May’s non existent money tree she talked about bears fruit when she needs it. Just how much has the Brexit ( Tory party internal problem) cost us already. And we may have troops on the street yet! This is utter insanity especially as the EU are only responsible for 6%of our laws. And P&O are now flying the Cypriot flag !!! Grrrr. Such a waste of time

123coco Fri 01-Feb-19 10:08:46

I was born in a mining town many years ago in the north-east , it was very impoverished but people at work and pride. Every Tory government has neglected these areas , but suddenly there is money available. Where exactly is this money coming from . This is beyond despicable !! Oh if all the the truths had really been on that big red bus !!

Nonnie Fri 01-Feb-19 10:16:10

Yes, they all do it. Not just the Conservatives, remember Labour telling students they wouldn't have to pay university fees? That must have bought votes from all those at or hoping to go to uni and all their relatives. Libdems said they would put a penny on income tax to fund the NHS and that had the opposite effect. What a gullible lot we are.

grammargran Fri 01-Feb-19 10:22:56

I’m beginning to see why people start to revolt ......

Camelotclub Fri 01-Feb-19 10:24:48

There's no link to follow so I don't know what you mean!

quizqueen Fri 01-Feb-19 10:34:55

People should welcome any money spent in their area. First they complain they are being neglected, now they complain they are being bribed. Do you the money spent in your area or not!
Businesses bribe you into buying stuff from them all the time with their 'offers' but you still buy them. You can still cast your vote in a secret ballot how you please and so can your MP.

Jaycee5 Fri 01-Feb-19 10:45:45

This is John Mann. He is not a well thought of MP particularly in his own party. What he is saying here though is that he is in a Leave area and a very deprived area that has been starved of funds so this is an opportunity to deal with some of the sever problems that his area has.
I still don't think that it is ok but it is not that straight forward.
May has given titles for support, a privy council seat for support and now is offering bribes for support. The titles and privy council seat have been taken. If Mann thinks that Brexit will happen anyway and that his constituents want it, it probably is something that he should at least consider.

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Feb-19 10:56:00

I think that this has always gone on but perhaps we are more aware of this now with what is at stake.

The money is not going into the pockets of politicians or local officials but for improvements that are needed in local areas.
It could be regarded as 'bribery' but if it results in good outcomes on both sides should we worry unduly?

I don't think non-payment of tv licences results in imprisonment any longer, ayse - that was shocking.

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Feb-19 11:00:42

Oh, the money's there, 123coco!!

mabon1 Fri 01-Feb-19 11:03:53

Nothing new here. DUP. How desperate is this. Theresa May, is she a dictator ?

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Feb-19 11:10:04

troops on the streets may or may not be required to ensure delivery of foodstuffs etc - not to quell the population.
Troops are called in in times of emergency eg to help in times of flooding, building emergency bridges and, if I remember, when firefighters went on strike.

MaizieD Fri 01-Feb-19 11:14:57

It could be regarded as 'bribery' but if it results in good outcomes on both sides should we worry unduly?

shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock shock

Oh, it's all right.
Corruption is absolutely FINE.

No wonder everyone is so cool about the illegalities, lies and foreign involvement in the referendum. It's absolutely fine because it got the right result (for a third of the population)

I can't believe what I am seeing... angry angry angry angry angry angry

Aepgirl Fri 01-Feb-19 11:18:38

It’s just what a manifesto is. Vote for us, we will do this, that and the other thing.

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Feb-19 11:24:06

The referendum happened. Whether we agree or not with the result, I'm sure most wish to ensure the best outcome.

I agree, Aepgirl and to think anything else is naive.

grammargran Fri 01-Feb-19 11:27:41

The woman is totally without scruples - so much for church every Sunday! It’s Tory party first and the country a very long way behind in second place.

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Feb-19 11:27:47

"Vote for us and we will abolish tuition fees"
"Vote for us and you will get your new hospital, by-pass, school".
Etc
Until they gain power.

You could call that 'bribery'