Gransnet forums

News & politics

Transactional politics?

(95 Posts)
ayse Fri 01-Feb-19 02:57:03

Found this on BBC news website. It sounds like bribery to me when money is promised for a local project (under £1mil) in return for a vote. So unprincipled or is it just me?

MaizieD Sun 03-Feb-19 15:56:26

I know what Mann said, Jalima. I posted the extract from the Guardian yesterday. I did read it before I posted it. I also commented on it.

I don't give a flying wotsit what Mann thinks it is. He's not going to say 'Oh yes, I would accept a bribe, no problem', is he?

lemongrove Sun 03-Feb-19 16:51:23

Oh the political innocents here on GN, never fails to amaze me.
Bribes/ favours for favours/sweeteners/arm twisting etc is rife in politics in all parties or at least the two who actually matter, Conservatives and Labour, and thus has it always been.Other countries will be exactly the same and most if them a great deal worse.

lemongrove Sun 03-Feb-19 16:52:36

A bit of faux outrage from disgruntled Remainers perhaps.

PECS Sun 03-Feb-19 16:55:21

I am not shocked by the act of bribary Lemongrove As you say it is a sad and seedy part of political and business life.
What angers me is that we have been told austerity and the lack of a money tree has prevented all kinds of things form happening...until of course it suits! Then money is dug up and dangled!

PECS Sun 03-Feb-19 16:55:49

bribery shock

MaizieD Sun 03-Feb-19 18:00:55

I'm actually more shocked by Gnetters condoning it than I am by it actually happening (or even it just being talked about happening).

POGS Sun 03-Feb-19 18:10:05

Can anybody supply ' Factual Evidence ' Theresa May has offered a bribe?

I am not saying it is not correct information but I have only seen and heard comments that have ' implied ' this is what has happened or ' she was approached by Labour MP's ' or non factual information being spun as truth.

I cannot find anything that tells me Theresa May has taken / took it upon herself to approach Labour M P's with an offer of money for their constituencies.

Who and how much for example has been offered . Which Labour MP has ' categorically ' stated he/she has been offered money ?

I want to know the facts before jumping on the band wagon.

Jalima1108 Sun 03-Feb-19 18:15:26

What angers me is that we have been told austerity and the lack of a money tree has prevented all kinds of things form happening...until of course it suits! Then money is dug up and dangled!
Absolutely PECS!!

The money should have been available for deprived areas ages ago, not suddenly when her Brexit plans are in jeopardy - that’s what sticks in the craw. Of course it’s not lining pockets, it’s going where it’s most needed - the immorality of this move is the timing of it
Yes, it is unethical but should he refuse it?

Amazing, isn't it, that that is what may take to loosen the purse strings.

This goes on in one kind or another in the political world all the time.

MaizieD Mon 04-Feb-19 21:39:48

Interesting and relevant to this, I think. This is a letter to the Independent from Lord Thomas of Gresford QC

He cites the Bribery Act 2010

twitter.com/evertonfc2/status/1092352891841585152

POGS Mon 04-Feb-19 21:56:58

Where are the 'facts ' Theresa May has offered a bribe?

No poster has come forward with evidence have they ?

I am not saying it is not true but it is looking more and more like a political propaganda exercise and band wagon jumping .

I am interested to know the truth which ever way but by knowing ' the facts '

PECS Mon 04-Feb-19 22:31:34

POGS of course there is little recorded evidence in any political shenanigins! It is not just Labour MPs saying this but Tories too. Of course TMs gang would not be advertising anything and it would be happening in secret! It may be 'propaganda' or it may be absolutely true. Of course there could be a double bluff and we the populace will never KNOW for certain what is going on.

This whole debacle that is EU politics is just one big bloody mess. The truth and the people of UK are low on the political agenda at this time.

MaizieD Tue 05-Feb-19 00:05:07

In view of what PECS says, it's interesting that May denied that any money had been offered to Nissan in 2016 but it turns out that she did indeed offer them some. £60 million.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47120759

Ginny42 Tue 05-Feb-19 17:16:06

So she lied.

PECS Tue 05-Feb-19 17:34:01

Seems she did!

POGS Tue 05-Feb-19 17:56:48

PECS

POGS of course there is little recorded evidence i----

What ' little recorded ' factual evidence is there?

I have heard and noticed the words IF/MIGHT HAVE/IF EVER used but nobody has ' factually ' stated Theresa May offered cash as a bribe for their vote.

Is it not plausible to hear evidence before accusation ?

PECS Tue 05-Feb-19 18:07:29

POGS just find something concrete to prove she did not if you are so desperate to show how innocent TM is.

POGS Tue 05-Feb-19 18:21:48

PECS

There is no concrete proof either way, that's the point !

Unlike you I have declared the story may or may not be true where as you have made a judgement of wrong doing based on what? Political spin possibly, who knows.

PECS Tue 05-Feb-19 18:26:31

POGS I have never said that it was true. I have said it may be propaganda or it may be true. Please read my post.

POGS Tue 05-Feb-19 19:07:58

PECS Tue 05-Feb-19 18:26:31

" POGS I have never said that it was true. I have said it may be propaganda or it may be true. Please read my post."
--

I have read your posts that's why I said it.

PECS Fri 01-Feb-19 08:55:04

"Historically has been psrt of politics. Sad we are returning to this,as an acceptable way to be. Sod your principles and what your constituents want have the cash & give me your vote! Money talks & buys influence .. as it did pre referendum & during campaigning."

PECS Fri 01-Feb-19 12:20:18

" For some people their values are underpinned by the principle that if you have the cash you can buy what you want and sod anyone else. Extreme capitalism!"

PECS Fri 01-Feb-19 17:42:59

"May’s proposals,(i.e. to offer chunks of money to areas to win votes from MP) then, are perfectly justifiable in Keynesian economic terms. "

If that is not saying you believe the story to be true then I don't know what could be much clearer to be honest