Gransnet forums

News & politics

Last word on Brexit.

(127 Posts)
mrsmopp Sat 02-Feb-19 19:17:02

I play Scrabble online and today it told me there is no such word as BREXIT.
We can all stop worrying now. Whew!
Somebody tell Theresa please!

merlotgran Tue 05-Feb-19 11:02:54

don't you love learning new words?

Well, I wouldn't call bosky an amazing and beautiful word but it has reminded me that DH needs a haircut.

Greta Tue 05-Feb-19 11:10:22

Good, merlotgran, we can't have bosky husbands!

jura2 Tue 05-Feb-19 11:11:20

lol

Shared elsewhere today - in about 1 hour it has been seen and likes by 400, had 298 positive comments and 46 shares. So it does strike a chord with some UK people for sure.

I love Elgar too, and Scouts - and a good dose of nostalgia- as long as it is honest. All this 'we survived the Blitz' and 'we let Gerry have it before' and 'Britannia rules the waves' are just ... can't find the write word actually- will have to learn a new one for it.

POGS Tue 05-Feb-19 13:01:18

Jura

Your link to AA Gill is provided because you agree with it's content and I am not surprised you and as we have not failed to notice other posters/commentators believe what ALL Leave Voters typify.

It is the view of those with a ' Closed Mind ' and ' Narcissism' be!ieving they know why 17 million people voted in opposition to ' THEIR ' will.

Extracts

" It was the woman on Question Time that really did it for me.
She was so familiar. There is someone like her in every queue, every coffee shop, outside every school in every parish council in the country. Middle-aged, middle-class, middle-brow, over-made-up, with her National Health face and weatherproof English expression of hurt righteousness, she’s Britannia’s mother-in-law.

We all know what they mean. They mean back from Johnny Foreigner, back from the brink, back from the future, back-to-back, back to bosky hedges and dry stone walls and country lanes and church bells and warm beer and skittles and football rattles and cheery banter and clogs on cobbles. Back to vicars-and-tarts parties and Carry On fart jokes, back to Elgar and fudge and proper weather and herbaceous borders and cars called Morris. Back to victoria sponge and 22 yards to a wicket and 15 hands to a horse and 3ft to a yard and four fingers in a Kit Kat, back to gooseberries not avocados, back to deference and respect, to make do and mend and smiling bravely and biting your lip and suffering in silence and patronising foreigners with pity.
We all know what “getting our country back” means. It’s snorting a line of the most pernicious and debilitating Little English drug, nostalgia.

All we need, their argument goes, is to be free of the humourless Germans and spoilsport French and all their collective liberalism and reality. There is a concomitant hope that if we manage to back out of Europe, then we’ll get back to the bowler-hatted 1950s and the Commonwealth will hold pageants, fireworks displays and beg to be back in the Queen Empress’s good books again. Then New Zealand will sacrifice a thousand lambs, Ghana will ask if it can go back to being called the Gold Coast and Britain will resume hand-making Land Rovers and top hats and Sheffield plate teapots.

He does make some valid points but the condescending attitude that is predominant in his/your link is the continual problem when people like myself who voted Remain point out the argument / debate is lost because it is not intended to neither argue nor debate but simply name call / belittle the opposition.

lemongrove Tue 05-Feb-19 13:10:47

The late A A Gill was a snobbish git IMHO and I have read a lot of his articles in the past to arrive at that conclusion.
It suits some agendas of course to treat it as Gospel.

M0nica Tue 05-Feb-19 13:31:34

Most people are less than perfect most of the time. I think we should always have an open mind because now and again writers one really dislikes will write something you entirely agree with.

Detail by detail, it is ridiculous hyperbole, which is, of course, what he sets out to do quite deliberately.

But his point that the kind of Britain most leavers want to return to is based on nostalgia and a belief that things will be again what they were like at some vague point in the past, complete with blue passports, non-decimal currency and the retirement age for women back at 60. And, no doubt locking lunatics back in asylums beating children who misbehave in class, birching hooligans and hanging murderers.

Nonnie Tue 05-Feb-19 13:35:31

Of course he is over the top, the paper wouldn't pay him for writing anything bland, it was his job. Simple! He has made his point in an over the top way of course. What else would you expect?

God post MOnica

Buffybee Tue 05-Feb-19 13:36:00

"Open mind" ! That's a laugh ?

Nonnie Tue 05-Feb-19 13:39:54

Buffy are you saying you do not have an open mind?

petra Tue 05-Feb-19 13:43:09

I have no intention of reading anything by the right wing misogynistic pig, AA Gill.

Buffybee Tue 05-Feb-19 15:09:25

No! Nonnie!
My quip was in reply to MOnica saying we should always have an open mind.
Coming from some people, I found that amusing.

M0nica Tue 05-Feb-19 16:25:22

So you do not think I am open minded. Evidence?

Buffybee Tue 05-Feb-19 16:32:02

Evidence!
Practically everything you post is extremely one sided and biased.

lemongrove Tue 05-Feb-19 16:33:29

Surely only Remainers have open minds Buffy grin at least reading some posts on GN from them would try and have you think that.

lemongrove Tue 05-Feb-19 16:35:11

Petra ??
I wonder if those extolling his virtues realise how right wing and snobbish he was, I doubt it.

MissAdventure Tue 05-Feb-19 16:36:11

I wonder what it would be like if the article was written in the same way about some other section of society?

jura2 Tue 05-Feb-19 16:52:54

I know nothing about the man, nothing at all. If he is snobbish and rightwing, how come he is so open about Europe - unlike Rees-Mogg. I base my judgement on this piece, and this piece alone.

I have written to Stephen Fry and asked him if he could make a video of a spoken version. Hope he agrees.

jura2 Tue 05-Feb-19 16:56:08

To balance things out, here is a snobby right-wing person for you:

www.facebook.com/www.JOE.co.uk/videos/1022169861306728/

lemongrove Tue 05-Feb-19 17:02:35

That’s just a bit of sillyness though Jura and in any case what balance is there in two snobby right wing people.

Fennel Tue 05-Feb-19 17:03:14

"I have written to Stephen Fry and asked him if he could make a video of a spoken version. Hope he agrees."
Oh no Jura - please shock
What have we done to deserve that?

jura2 Tue 05-Feb-19 17:09:59

Maybe you could choose someone else whose voice you like? Or you could just not listen to it, if it does not float your boat.

merlotgran Tue 05-Feb-19 17:38:10

Joe Pasquale?

jura2 Tue 05-Feb-19 17:41:13

hmmm no. Is he still around?

POGS Tue 05-Feb-19 18:12:39

Jura

" I know nothing about the man, nothing at all."
--
As a well read poster you do surprise me .

I don't think I would use the words of a person I had no knowledge about to state my opinion.

POGS Tue 05-Feb-19 18:13:52

Jura

hmmm no. Is he still around?
----

Who A A Gill or Joe Pasquale?