Gransnet forums

News & politics

Crisis in funding of social care

(61 Posts)
MarthaBeck Wed 06-Feb-19 14:15:09

According to Age UK: 50,000 elderly have died waiting for social care package. More than 50,000 people have died waiting for care while ministers dither over long-awaited plans to overhaul the funding of social care, Age UK estimated that 54,000 people have died.
Why is the Gov dragging its heels in tackling this crisis?

Iam64 Fri 15-Feb-19 15:53:47

Lazygitl - the fittest and the wealthiest

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Feb-19 15:53:48

The executives within our council command alarmingly high salaries (and there are a lot of them)
I do wonder why so many officials in local government need to earn more than a prime minister or government ministers.

After all, they are only running local councils and not a whole country.

Iam64 Fri 15-Feb-19 15:56:55

Jalima, I don’t believe MPs are paid enough. Pay them more but don’t allow them to have other work
Local authorities and charities compete with the private sector so ceo salaries reflect that

grannypauline Fri 15-Feb-19 17:01:19

No competition exists! CEO salaries reflect what their mates are earning, and what they therefore think they should get.

Unfortunately in the case of some charities high salaries meant that some of their salaries have been used in less than acceptable ways!

MPs are way out of touch with their constituents. While they foist Austerity onto us, they give themselves pay rises. They should be on the average pay plus audited expenses (no duck houses obviously!).

Lazigirl Fri 15-Feb-19 18:59:17

Our Council Chief Exec earns £47,000 which I think is a fair salary for his job. Our MP earns £77,379 plus, as stated on his website, private consultancy of £6,000 a month. I do not agree with MPs having other jobs/consultancies, and I agree Iam that they shouldn't be allowed outside work. If they are not paid adequately then it will deter MPs from modest backgrounds aspiring to the job. If you tune in to Parliament during the day most of the MPs are ? about their day jobs.

Anja Sat 16-Feb-19 05:34:16

£47,000 for the Council Chief Exec! That’s a pittance.

gillybob Sat 16-Feb-19 08:19:31

In our council there are 12 people paid more than £120k with the 5 at the top commanding £145-£150k each. On top of that they take expenses and VERY generous pension contributions. Now why is my council tax going up by 3.6% again?

Iam64 Sat 16-Feb-19 08:32:02

gillybob, your anger about this kind of thing is acknowledged. However - we either want public services or we don't. We pay taxes and local taxes to fund our local services. My argument is with the government and exactly what they're doing with our taxes. I've lost count, glazed over at the level of our money wasted by Chris Grayling, for example.

gillybob Sat 16-Feb-19 08:41:11

Thank you Iam but my argument is how dare they shove our CT up yet again, cut services to the bare bones and/or stop them altogether. The roads are a disgrace, there are more empty shops than full ones and all the while these greedy fat cats are lapping it up for doing sod all ! Anger doesn’t cover it .

Iam64 Sat 16-Feb-19 09:15:57

Maybe you could writ to your MP gillybob, to express your fury and ask why the government's austerity programme is causing so much hardship? Brexit dominates everything, inevitably as whichever 'side' we support, it's probably the biggest decision this country has taken in my life time. Meanwhile we have cuts to essential public services that impact on all of us on a daily basis.
I spent 5 hours in A and E this week, with one of my daughters and her poorly 6 week old baby. There was one young doctor on duty, with one nurse. The department was jammed with people and it was an unusually busy night so far a children are concerned. The care given to our baby was excellent, the nurse managed to make us a cup of tea about midnight. I don't mind paying taxes including council tax, if the money actually goes on services rather than paying for ferry companies who don't have any ferries. Now that, that is mismanagement of public money.