Gransnet forums

News & politics

The cliff edges nearer because May doesn’t want to split party!

(339 Posts)
Anja Mon 11-Feb-19 07:39:59

Theresa May has effectively ruled out Labour’s proposal for a Brexit compromise, stressing her objection to staying inside a customs union. “I am not clear why you believe it would be preferable to seek a say in future EU trade deals rather than the ability to strike our own deals?” she wrote to Jeremy Corbyn. The PM argued that her own Brexit plan “explicitly provides for the benefits of a customs union” in terms of avoiding tariffs, while allowing “development of the UK’s independent trade policy beyond our economic partnership with the EU”.

She accepted a customs union could potentially have delivered her a Commons majority but at the serious risk of splitting her party.

The letter comes amid a growing presumption that while May remains officially committed to putting a revised Brexit plan to MPs as soon as possible, in practice this is unlikely to happen before the end of February. Business leaders have called for quicker action, with the head of the CBI, Carolyn Fairbairn, saying the UK is “in the emergency zone of Brexit now” and the confusion will not just affect jobs and investment, but harm the UK as a long-term business destination.

jura2 Fri 15-Feb-19 17:10:13

Huge respect for Dominic Grieve

www.facebook.com/RTUKnews/videos/606513309797479/

and how right Hilary Benn is. Hold your nerve- for what??? Nobody knows ...

www.facebook.com/RTUKnews/videos/606513309797479/

jura2 Fri 15-Feb-19 17:12:11

Sorry, he is Dominic- talking common sense

www.facebook.com/najim.uddin.3194/videos/2164743143616564/

petra Fri 15-Feb-19 17:21:03

From the BBC website.
The uk has struck a deal with the US to preserve £12.8bn of trade after Brexit.
The mutual recognition agreement replicates the current deal between the eu and the US on technical standards for exported goods.
Italy are talking to the uk to set up a bylateral agreement.

MaizieD Fri 15-Feb-19 17:21:15

or any sort of "club" that seems to exclude large - and often poorer - parts of the world

So are you saying, Eloethan that you think trade blocs are altogether a Bad Thing? Do you think that there should be an across the board world wide system of tariffs, entirely free movement of goods worldwide and that people should be free to work and live in any country in the world without any conditions on them?

You are, aware, I hope, that the Least Developed Nations (33, I believe) are able to trade with the EU completely tariff free in everything but armaments.

MaizieD Fri 15-Feb-19 17:26:10

Is that just breaking, Petra or is it an older item?

I can't find it on today's BBC website.

petra Fri 15-Feb-19 17:38:59

MaizieD
I hour ago.

andycameron69 Fri 15-Feb-19 18:49:58

It is in law , a barrister said...

it is not possible to remove No deal From the Table.

so if all of Traitor Mayhems [Theresa May] deals fail then it is a default to NO deal ,by law

we must have to leave 29 March, end of.

so I am most excited

her deals will fail as the Backstop is a sneaky way to keep us tied to Evil EU...end of ..

love to Great Britain.. free...

Have a great weekend all, its mild and spring had sprung too boot...

Andy

smile [flower]

andycameron69 Fri 15-Feb-19 18:59:30

yooo hooo happy friday

all will be fine

we are a great country

out we go...parliament will not agree to Treason May's deal..ever.

so the default is

OUT.. as I voted for in 2016..
it was out or in..

not a deal...................

love ya

MaizieD Fri 15-Feb-19 19:10:05

its mild and spring had sprung too boot...

Oh, andy. Ne'er cast a clout 'til May is out... wink

Eloethan Fri 15-Feb-19 19:12:42

I wasn't aware of that MaizieD but as you have alerted me to it, I see that there are several articles suggesting that developing countries will suffer when the UK leaves the EU. I need to read more about this but, if that is the case, then, for me at least, it is a reason we should have stayed in the EU. I was aware that poorer countries in the EU have benefited from being part of it and I agreed with that strategy - although I've heard many British people complaining about it.

I am just very wary of any sort of club which exists primarily to benefit its members, sometimes at the expense of non-members. But your post seems to refute this in the case of developing countries and is certainly food for thought.

MaizieD Fri 15-Feb-19 19:14:23

Well, Petra. You must get the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation while I get the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation!

I can't find a thing about it.

MaizieD Fri 15-Feb-19 19:18:42

Eloethan. Any trade bloc, and there are plenty of them, exists primarily to benefit its members.

jura2 Fri 15-Feb-19 19:21:31

I have read a few things today confirming that Trump is asking the UK to drop animal welfare and standards on meat imports and other goods in exchange for a deal- as we expected. Like pink slime will have to be allowed in products made with mince, etc.

Lazigirl Fri 15-Feb-19 19:32:48

Went to local pharmacy to get 3 meds that OH and I use regularly. All out of stock, they are having supply problems.....Is this a foretaste of no deal Brexit? I do hope not.

jura2 Fri 15-Feb-19 21:01:28

Sadly I am afraid so. Stockpiling is not the answer for so many drugs which have short shelf life.

Isotopes for cancer treatment is going to be a massive issue to - people are starting to realise it is not 'project fear' but project reality.

andycameron69 Fri 15-Feb-19 21:44:25

you are full of big drama ...fear .. it will not happen

Eloethan Fri 15-Feb-19 22:01:40

Maizied I did say in my previous comments that "sadly" it is difficult for a nation to stand alone. I agree that most clubs/blocs, etc., work for their own benefit because that is the way of the world. But it's rather a shame that competition rather than co-operation is the underlying principle upon which the world operates.

I did think the comedian on Question Time last night (who I believe is a leaver) made a good point. If the populations of the EU were more familiar with EU officials, and such officials were more visible, there wouldn't be such a feeling in some peopole of alienation and mistrust. We see our own parliamentarians but really the majority of people, in the UK at least, have very little exposure to and knowledge of the EU set up.

jura2 Fri 15-Feb-19 22:34:01

Maizie : 'I think that both the Labour party and the tories are more than likely to split anyway. '

in a way, that would be the only good outcome out of this mess- finally the split up of both left and right - which is perpetuated by the unique British First Past the Post system.

And the see-saw politics that it leads too- which are so damaging and destructive. The two party system needs to be broken to allow for more cooperation and consensus politics.

GabriellaG54 Sat 16-Feb-19 06:25:05

Lyndie
If you were really bothered by the importation of salad stuff from 'foreign climes', you would not have bought it.

GabriellaG54 Sat 16-Feb-19 06:29:57

crystaltips
Weatherspoons don't have Wi-Fi.
Wetherspoon's do.

GabriellaG54 Sat 16-Feb-19 06:34:17

PECS
But they have blabbed. ??

jura2 Sat 16-Feb-19 11:25:42

Andy, you made my day- best news ever ' it will not happen' ta x

varian Sun 17-Feb-19 14:46:19

Airbus warns government not to listen to Brexiteers’ ‘madness’

Senior vice president Katherine Bennett spoke for Airbus UK, which has 14,000 employees in the UK and claims to spend £5billion a year with UK suppliers.

During the 2016 referendum, Airbus UK had announced that it would not move, but CEO Tim Ender wrote to parliament in January saying that Brexit had put Britain’s aerospace industry “at a precipice”.

Speaking today on BBC’s Andrew Marr show, Ms Bennett said the company’s change of heart had come about because of the political failure to get a deal so far.

She reiterated that “difficult decisions” would have to be made in the event of a no deal Brexit.

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/airbus-uk-doubles-down-on-no-deal-brexit-warning-1-5895468

varian Wed 20-Feb-19 14:24:38

Writing to the prime minister, Heidi Allen, Anna Soubry and Sarah Wollaston said:

“We no longer feel we can remain in the party of a government whose policies and priorities are so firmly in the grip of the ERG [European Research Group] and DUP.

“Brexit has re-defined the Conservative Party - undoing all the efforts to modernise it. There has been a dismal failure to stand up to the hard line ERG which operates openly as a party within a party, with its own leader, whip and policy. The final straw for us has been this government’s disastrous handling of Brexit.

"Following the EU referendum of 2016, no genuine effort was made to build a cross-party, let alone a national consensus to deliver Brexit. Instead of seeking to heal the divisions or to tackle the underlying causes of Brexit, the priority was to draw up ‘red lines’. The 48% were not only sidelined, they were alienated.”

They added: “The country deserves better. We believe there is a failure of politics in general, not just in the Conservative Party but in both main parties as they move to the fringes, leaving millions of people with no representation. Our politics needs urgent and radical reform and we are determined to play our part.”

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/three-tory-mps-join-the-breakaway-independent-group-1-5899355

Theresa May's tactic of constantly indulging the right-wing brextreemists of the ERG and her allies in the DUP, whilst sidelining and ignoring the more moderate "one nation" Tories and all the Remainers, in an effort to save her party, has seriously back-fired.

The sensible Tory MPs have put up with it for far too long. She is like a very poor teacher who only pays attention to the naughty children. She has allowed herself to be taken hostage by the thugs, -ironic from someone who once warned that the Tories were seen as the "nasty party". So far only three have left. I wonder if more will follow.

varian Wed 27-Feb-19 19:46:21

Tories in meltdown': what the papers say about party split

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/21/tories-in-meltdown-what-the-papers-say-about-party-split