jeff53 Wed 27-Feb-19 10:43:14

leave with no deal

varian Wed 27-Feb-19 11:24:58

If you aren't sure, here's a simple guide for children-

What will happen in a no deal Brexit?

A no deal Brexit could lead to a number of things happening. For example:

Border checks could be re-introduced

Transport and trade between the UK and the EU could be severely affected

Adults may not be able to drive in EU countries without a special driving permit

It could cost more money to use your phone abroad in EU countries

It would mean no transition period, which is part of the deal that Prime Minister Theresa May is proposing

www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/46607260

varian Wed 27-Feb-19 11:26:48

A no-deal Brexit is likely to have profound consequences for the UK, according to a government assessment. The report says food prices would probably increase, extra customs checks could cost business £13bn a year and there is little evidence firms are ready for the changeover, among other dire warnings.

www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/feb/26/brexit-latest-news-developments-theresa-may-chairs-cabinet-amid-reports-she-is-about-to-announce-u-turn-on-giving-mps-potential-vote-to-extend-article-50-politics-live

jeff53 Wed 27-Feb-19 12:07:55

and you are quoting from the BBC news you will be telling us next Santa is real

Urmstongran Wed 27-Feb-19 12:13:09

jeff ??

varian Wed 27-Feb-19 12:53:04

My quote was from BBC Newsround - aimed at children, so should be understood even by "no dealers"

jeff53 Wed 27-Feb-19 14:14:27

so you posted a article from news round aimed at children
are you suggesting all the people on this forum are children
who dont understand adult news you should be ashamed
of yourself

Labaik Wed 27-Feb-19 15:18:05

Anyone who thinks this country should leave the EU without a deal should be ashamed of themselves [imo]….

jeff53 Wed 27-Feb-19 17:06:32

Leaving with a deal isn't really leaving at all. Juncker and Burqel will make sure of that. Be strong - walk away.

varian Wed 27-Feb-19 18:22:56

Most children would understand that leaving with no deal would be catastrophic for the UK. Try allowing your grandchildren to read the facts, then ask them.

jeff53 Thu 28-Feb-19 11:11:00

my son read all the facts and he still voted to leave
know doubt he explained his decision to his children
my grandchildren and i know he made the right choice
because my son IS not a child hes a man

varian Thu 28-Feb-19 11:38:55

The government has published its assessment of the impact of a no-deal Brexit on business and trade. The report said "some food prices are likely to increase" and customs checks could cost business £13bn a year in a no-deal scenario.

It repeated analysis suggesting a no-deal scenario could leave the UK economy 6.3% to 9% smaller after 15 years, compared to what it would have been.

It said the worst-hit areas economically in a no-deal scenario would be Wales (-8.1%), Scotland (-8.0%), Northern Ireland (-9.1%) and the north east (-10.5%).

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47379308

Labaik Thu 28-Feb-19 13:03:18

Well, jeff, lets hope your son doesn't find himself out of work because of all this. because that will take some explaining to his children.

PECS Thu 28-Feb-19 14:52:02

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/dominic-grieve-on-brexit-in-the-house-of-commons-1-5910613?fbclid=IwAR0HZ6y1Aeuq1mFqgURhPlKZwsudiu7OqVcLXRsQBbjZ364s6NgTQVYdBzg

Just for interest!

varian Thu 28-Feb-19 15:07:53

Thanks PECS. Dominic Grieve talks a lot of sense.

mcem Thu 28-Feb-19 15:58:56

I'm impressed that jeff's son was able to source all the facts!
Since he seems to be the only person in the UK to have access to all information, maybe he should have been in charge of the negotiations.
Good idea to link to the simplest version of brexit but those who are most in need of the explanation are the least likely to read it!
As far as brexit goes, ignorance rules!

PECS Thu 28-Feb-19 21:51:50

I am amazed how various TV broadcasters give huge amount of air time to Joe Public saying " leave means leave! we should just do it. We're Great Britain" etc ? These people appear not to be able to articulate any basic fact or reason other than some misplaced longing for the past! There must be some of the 52% who are able to put a reasoned & thoughtful answer when stopped in the street!! Othewise it looks as if the allb voted in ignorance which would be shocking.

PECS Thu 28-Feb-19 21:53:12

" they all"

Urmstongran Thu 28-Feb-19 22:07:48

Dominic Grieve is desperate to Remain.
He is half French.
The majority of his constituents in Beaconsfield voted to Leave.

This is politicians versus the people, and it will not end well for the politicians.

PECS Thu 28-Feb-19 22:22:37

Same situation for me.. our area was strong remain but our MP is not.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Feb-19 22:26:17

One amongst 500 then PECS
Unlucky you. Now you know how the majority of us Leavers feel. Shafted!

GrandmaKT Thu 28-Feb-19 22:46:11

She's not the only one Urmstongran. There are 34 MPs who voted to leave but whose constituencies voted remain on this list inews.co.uk/news/politics/pro-brexit-mps-represent-remain-constituencies/

PECS Thu 28-Feb-19 22:59:57

urmstongran at least half the country will feel badly done by whatever happens! Not exactly a winning situation for anyone living in a divided society.

Labaik Thu 28-Feb-19 23:13:26

Dominic Grieve is doing what he feels is best for this country. I believe that he is a truly honourable politician at a time when they are pretty thin on the ground. Plenty of leave supporting 'politicians' [I use the word loosely] eg Nigel Lawson/Farage have EU connections [Lawson planning to or already lives in France and Farages' children can have German passports] and I find them far more two faced than Grieve in that they and their children will have access to rights that they want to deprive other people [especially the young] of.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Feb-19 23:17:21

All who like Grieve are Remainers.
Just as all who like Farage are Leavers.
Next.