Gransnet forums

News & politics

Petition to stop Brexit

(271 Posts)
Nonnie Tue 12-Feb-19 16:36:05

For those of you who feel strongly: petition.parliament.uk/petitions/239706

MaizieD Mon 18-Feb-19 22:14:29

Thanks for that, Ginny. But why worldwide, I wonder?

lemongrove Mon 18-Feb-19 22:15:54

There is a drop in new car sales everywhere not simply in the UK.

lemongrove Mon 18-Feb-19 22:17:21

If you can’t be bothered to do some research MaizieD then you won’t know the full story.

Urmstongran Mon 18-Feb-19 22:28:48

I did open & read your link and see the chart MaizieD but as I said after I’d read it, there are different ways to be protectionist. The EU do it by their endless red tape to dissuade adverse trade.

varian Tue 19-Feb-19 19:14:01

If the brexit nonsense is not stopped there will be far more form-filling, beaurocracy and red tape. It would be the end of frictionless trade. So far from the cake-and-eat-it promises of the lying leavers.

petra Tue 19-Feb-19 20:09:51

I don't know if some remainers are aware that we are ready to sign a trade deal with Israel. All the ground work was done at Davos but for obvious reasons we can't dot the 'i's and cross the 't's.
It's been made obvious that most remainers are terrified that we are going to run out of medical drugs.
I've just been reading up on Israel. Are you aware of how huge the Pharmaceutical industry is in Israel.
We have no worries.

varian Tue 19-Feb-19 20:20:37

NO worries!!!!!!!!!

Urmstongran Tue 19-Feb-19 21:19:25

Well this petition may well be redundant!

There is a sense of cautious optimism among UK officials in Brussels today that a breakthrough over the Irish backstop just might be on the horizon.

Theresa May is off to hold talks with Jean-Claude Juncker on the Brexit state of play. And Geoffrey Cox, the Attorney General, is also due in Brussels to present new "technical details" on clarification to the backstop, in a move geared at reassuring MPs that it will be temporary.

The key requirement is that Mr Cox feels comfortable returning to Westminster and telling MPs that he no longer has reservations about the backstop.

If his own legal advice to the Government can be tweaked to remove his warning about the backstop being a trap, then, sources say, a decent number of MPs will swing behind the deal.

lemongrove Tue 19-Feb-19 21:25:02

??

varian Sun 24-Feb-19 18:47:57

Here is a leave voter worth listening to

www.remainernow.com/hugh_i_voted_leave_believing_we_d_have_all_the_same_benefits_as_now

lemongrove Sun 24-Feb-19 19:47:42

One Leave voter out of seven and a half million then.?

lemongrove Sun 24-Feb-19 19:48:23

Oops, seventeen million, left the teen off.

varian Sun 24-Feb-19 20:38:49

Plenty more at www.remainernow.com

Labaik Mon 25-Feb-19 10:52:10

Still; two countries out of 4 are remain [3 if you count Gibraltar]. And a lot of people who voted leave are now no longer with us. A almost 50/50 split should not have changed the future of this country forever. No wonder it's all such a terrible mess. Surely even leave voters must acknowledge that.

andycameron69 Mon 25-Feb-19 16:39:59

the majority of voters voted leave.....simple to understand surely?

it is called democracy dearies.....

easy..

i am very happy.......no deal

a very happy ending

the referendum was : stay or leave?

not some treasonous deal which is not leaving

hugs everyone, a super sunny nice day

jura2 Mon 25-Feb-19 17:04:36

yes, a tiny majority voted leave...based on lies, fraud, foreign money and interference and targetting of most vulnerable voters - for an advisory Referendum - and now with demographics having changed massively.

Ta very muchly - democracy means we must vote again with all the information to hand, a good understanding of consequences.

jura2 Mon 25-Feb-19 17:05:25

Even your mate Farage agrees- and Rees-Mogg too ;)

crystaltipps Mon 25-Feb-19 18:14:44

Oh good a trade deal with Israel, not signed yet of course! - I thought Liam Fox was doing some sort of negotiation with Palestine- that won’t go down we’ll- makes so much sense to get all our just in time diabetic meds from that country , which isn’t the most peaceful, and is a fair old distance in air miles, than from a neighbour a few miles away. Logic defies some people who think this is something to be excited about.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 25-Feb-19 18:34:09

Slightly off thread, but please forgive me. Have finally found our old passports (I knew we wouldn't have thrown them out!) and they are quite definitely BLACK!! Now I feel sorry (not) for those poor souls who voted Leave because they wanted blue passports back. You never had them, chums grin

varian Mon 25-Feb-19 19:11:19

Don't worry about the colour of your passports, if the brexit nonsense is not stopped you will get straight bananas, or was that bendy bananas?? - whatever, bananas, that is, if our trading partners have not decided to deny us any type of bananas because we have become an unreliable trading partner.

Caledonai14 Mon 25-Feb-19 19:11:25

Yep mine was black.

petra Mon 25-Feb-19 19:24:55

South Africa is waiting to sign: a trade deal worth £9billion a year.

andycameron69 Tue 26-Feb-19 08:15:20

good news that

dragonfly46 Tue 26-Feb-19 08:30:47

I find it amazing how blinkered Brexiteers are. We are losing people from the Care sector, the NHS, agriculture just when we will be needing them. We are also losing talent. There was an article in the Pharmaceutical magazine stating how they have lost their best clinician because he was 2 weeks short of qualifying for the 10 months needed to remain here.
The odd deal with South Africa (not signed yet) and Israel (not signed yet) is not going to make up for the huge market we are giving up.
Is this really to regain our sovereignty (whatever that means) and get foreigners out?
Having lived in the Netherlands I can see that the European countries are gaining in prosperity. Why is this do you think? Well they are outward looking and not so insular as GB seems to be.

andycameron69 Tue 26-Feb-19 19:19:41

only germany is gaining prosperity at the expense of all the other EU countries, that does seem totally unfair and not right .