Gransnet forums

News & politics

Breakaway Labour MP’s

(693 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 18-Feb-19 08:35:57

A small number of back benchers will announce they are leaving the party this morning.

Chuka Umunna is one who may be among them.

Anniebach Tue 05-Mar-19 14:40:29

Thank you for the link POGS , I did hear Margaret Hodge this morning.

Seems anti Israel is a cop out for anti semetism.

Corbyn admired that wall mural, he didn’t look closely at it !

POGS Tue 05-Mar-19 14:20:51

Very true.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/02/new-labour-party-row-over-antisemitism-jeremy-corbyn

Margaret Hodge is acting on the above report today and instead of things dying down they are looking like escalating.

Anniebach Tue 05-Mar-19 13:46:25

I don’t think it is only on the fringes of the party

POGS Tue 05-Mar-19 13:35:12

Eloethan

"Those who wish to avoid any focus on Israel's policies towards the Palestinians (eg land grabbing and demolishing Palestinian homes, shooting unarmed demonstrators, etc, etc.), must shut down such criticism by discrediting anyone who make such claims."
---

Not one poster on GN has done the above as far as I have ever noticed. Have you?

I have said on threads before I believe Israel is totally at fault over the occupied territory. That does not make me Anti Semetic. If I refuse to share a debate/platform with someone ' because they are of Jewish birth' I am in my opinion rightly accused of Anti Semitism. If I call somebody a ' Zio ' , a Ku Klux Klan prefered terminology I think that is tantamount to Anti Semitism is it not?

The question is about Anti Semitism not whether Israel is right or wrong, nor whether or not Palestinian groups such as Hamas are right or wrong. Both have their own issues and neither can be seen as saints

As EMILY THORNBERRY said :-

". But I know as well, and we must all acknowledge, that there are sickening individuals on the fringes of our movement, who use our legitimate support for Palestine as a cloak and a cover for their despicable hatred of Jewish people, and their desire to see Israel destroyed.

“Those people stand for everything that we have always stood against and they must be kicked out of our party the same way Oswald Mosley was kicked out of Liverpool.”
----

grannypauline Mon 04-Mar-19 21:30:51

Thanks PECS for your very informative posts which have settled some of the issues around this topic.

Anniebach Mon 04-Mar-19 14:39:34

PECS thank you , but is it not more accurate to say
‘Some people in and outside the party are manipulating anti semetism for their own ends and some are anti semetic .

Iam64 Mon 04-Mar-19 14:28:54

Stopping social media for lent sounds like the way to go PECS. I hope we see each other’s points of view. I fully accept the criticisms of Israeli government policy, land grab and shooting innocent civilians is beyond dreadful.
I accept some use allegations of anti semitism as a way of attacking jc.
There is no doubt in my mind thst racism is on the rise. That includes anti semitism, sadly slso within the lP
What have we come to ?

PECS Mon 04-Mar-19 13:50:02

FFS Annie you just cannot accept that I am against anti-Semitism and support Palestine and that I think that some people have used cases of anti-Semitism as a weapon.

People like us do exist in the Labour party.
I am not a Momentum supporter, I do think JC is a poor leader, there is some anti Semitism that needs kicking out but I do not think JC is himself anti-Semetic and I do think people in and outside the party are manipulating anti-Semitism for their own ends.

Do take your blinkers off & READ THE POSTS!

Trisher this is my last post on here as I am off social media for Lent which starts tomorrow. It is also Fairtrade Week so off to buy some Palestinian oil, dates, freekeh, burghul, zataar & soap from the local deli! The temporary stall is being run by a guy who is both a member of our CLP and the local PSC group and by chance is also Jewish.

PECS Mon 04-Mar-19 13:37:37

That last statement is your opinion Annie

Anniebach Mon 04-Mar-19 13:19:15

I post facts ,what I will not do is make excuses for racism

Quoting Tom Watson is not my opinion surely

A video clip recording what Williamson said is not my opinion

Truth isn’t wanted when Corbyn Momentum is the topic

trisher Mon 04-Mar-19 13:00:07

No anger Annie just despair because it is usually opinion not fact. But some don't know the difference.

Anniebach Mon 04-Mar-19 11:47:18

Repeating what is true does seem to anger some

trisher Mon 04-Mar-19 11:28:56

I refer to posters who constatntly post the same things as "children" Annie . It's the way they behave-if I keep saying the same thing it must be true. If the cap fits...

Anniebach Mon 04-Mar-19 11:03:02

trisher you refer to posters who do not agree with you as
‘Children ‘ This is your reasoned argument

trisher Mon 04-Mar-19 10:47:44

Good to see you reinforce my post Annie!

Anniebach Mon 04-Mar-19 10:41:58

I am sure the far left can stand their ground and defence of Corbyn

trisher Mon 04-Mar-19 10:39:53

PECS leave these children to their simplistic views and abandon trying to change them. They will only repost their prejudices. Any reasoned argument on GN died long ago.

Anniebach Mon 04-Mar-19 10:29:04

PECS. You think Williamson is working for ‘the otherside’

Tom Watson and all the MP’s who are speaking out against
Anti semetism are not telling the truth ?

PECS Mon 04-Mar-19 10:06:05

Please stop insinuating that those of us, who see a clear connection with public affiliation to Palestinian rights and the rise in accusations of anti Semitism in LP, are also denying anti- Semitism exists. We are not.
At least be open to the possibility of political manipulation . It reallty is not far fetched. Social media makes it easy for false comments to sit on the back of genuine cases of racism and make them even worse or appear more widespread.
We need to find the people who are anti Semetic and deal with them within the law. There is no place for them in any political party least of all LP.

Anniebach Mon 04-Mar-19 09:57:40

He has brought it on himself Urmstongran it’s the price one pays for selling one’s soul

Anniebach Mon 04-Mar-19 09:54:09

True Iam

Suppose threats to kill Luciana Berger’s unborn child are acceptable, the child is a Jew.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Mar-19 09:52:24

Such awful people make up Mr Corbyn’s gang. If he deserts them now, he’s lost in his party. If he sticks by them, he’s lost with the electorate.

Iam64 Mon 04-Mar-19 09:45:30

Thanks for the link Annie. Sadly I don’t expect it to influence people who insist the focus on anti semitism in the LP is anything other than dark forces out to get Jeremy.

Anniebach Mon 04-Mar-19 08:33:03

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/04/labour-antisemitism-party-left-bigotry

Iam64 Mon 04-Mar-19 02:03:16

Someone taped the momentum support meeting justic4mark, the man suspended for reducing Ruth Smee to tears. Comments made allegedly include ‘for the many, not the Jew’. A woman told the meeting she was suspended for alleged anti semitism and would continue to speak out.