Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are we nearly there?

(149 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 19-Feb-19 19:47:44

It appears there is a sense of cautious optimism among UK officials in Brussels that a breakthrough over the Irish backstop just might be on the horizon.

Theresa May will be arriving tomorrow to hold talks with Jean-Claude Juncker on the Brexit state of play. And Geoffrey Cox, the Attorney General, is also due to present new "technical details" on clarification to the backstop, in a move geared at reassuring MPs that it will be temporary.

The nature of those technical details is shrouded in secrecy. But UK sources in Brussels say that, politically speaking, the details may be immaterial.

Instead, the key requirement is that Mr Cox feels comfortable returning to Westminster and telling MPs that he no longer has reservations about the backstop.

varian Sat 09-Mar-19 20:38:36

In a stinging rebuke, 67 per cent of voters surveyed in the Irish Times/Ipsos MRBI poll believe the DUP is doing a bad job of representing Northern Ireland at Westminster. The figure was higher among Catholic nationalist voters, with 83 per cent blasting the DUP’s Brexit performance at Westminster. A majority of Protestants - 52 per cent - who traditionally support the DUP, also said they aren’t happy with how the DUP’s 10 MPs are representing Northern Ireland in the Brexit process.

www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1097610/brexit-news-dup-northern-ireland-ipsos-mrbi-new-poll-exit

andycameron69 Sat 09-Mar-19 09:06:40

no deal is what we, the majority who voted, voted for, simple, out
totally

grin

andycameron69 Fri 08-Mar-19 18:59:36

oooh I cant wait to come right out..

best brexit ever

jura2 Fri 08-Mar-19 18:56:38

The point being- even if we leave with a Deal, or with No Deal - or or or - it will certainly NOT be the end of it - but the beginning of a very very long period of uncertainty and a lot more. There might be some good news too ...
but over it won't be, for sure.

As for Ireland, THERE IS NO SOLUTION - NONE WHATSOEVER , surely that is clear by now.

Blair sums up and has good advice here:

www.facebook.com/instituteglobal/videos/2185453721770749/

andycameron69 Fri 08-Mar-19 18:00:28

we are Leaving.. very exciting

out out all will be gorgeous

i am elated

not long now

grin

varian Fri 08-Mar-19 17:50:27

"Brexiteer MP claims all Leave voters wanted a no-deal and everyone is asking the same question"

www.indy100.com/article/brexit-nadine-dorries-tory-mp-leave-no-deal-twitter-8810516

Nadine Dorries getting more and more outrageous in her claims indicates the desperation of these extreme "no-dealers" and their willingness to spout blatant untruths in the hope they won't be challenged. But she has been, by many who voted Leave but voted for leaving with a deal as she herself was saying in 2016.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Mar-19 13:46:01

I appreciate that once we leave (cannot see the UK meeting any of the requirements that the EU have put down for an extension to article 50) under whatever withdrawal agreement which manages to get through the H of Cs, things will still have to be negotiated.

I am aware that Unicorns, Rainbows and Candyfloss will not miraculously appear UK wide when we wake up on March 30th.

I have taken a personal decision to disengage with all things Brexit related after 29/3 and look to the future.

varian Fri 08-Mar-19 13:21:35

It is understandable that many are "bored of brexit" but what quite a lot of folk don't seem to understand is that unless Article 50 is revoked, this ghastly destructive process will go on and on and on for years, costing us billions, crippling our economy, poisoning our politics and injuring the social fabric of our nation for the rest of out lifetimes.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Mar-19 12:42:12

jura2 neither totally deluded or "something else"

jura2 Fri 08-Mar-19 12:21:20

What is totally mind boggling (among so many at the mo) - is that so many people say they are 'bored of Brexit and can't wait for 29th of March so we can forget all about it' ...

are they totally deluded? Or ??? something else.

varian Fri 08-Mar-19 11:41:39

James O'Brien gave a perfect explanation of how Brexiters' idea that we should be able to walk away from negotiations is complete nonsense.

www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-obrien-destroys-argument-that-we-should-walk/

Labaik Wed 27-Feb-19 18:34:38

And the company responsible for delivering medicine are the ones responsible for the Kentucky Fried Chicken fiasco #youcouldn'tmakeitup

varian Wed 27-Feb-19 18:30:14

Maybot's battery seems to be running out. According to swivel-eyed brexiter Peter Bone she has said the same thing 108 times. Perhaps she was programmed to say it a hundred times in the hope people would believe it.

They don't., and never will.

Labaik Wed 27-Feb-19 12:40:03

But, up until recently May seemed to have total control over the Brexit negotiations, even ignoring the ministers that were supposed to be dealing with it. The only thing that's changed is that MP's are now opposing her 'deal' because, not only do remainers feel it's a rubbish deal that is worse than staying in the EU, but even leave voters/MP's are opposed to it. From what I can see, all Amber Rudd is opposing is a no deal scenario, which would be catastrophic for the country.

Urmstongran Wed 27-Feb-19 12:18:43

I no longer feel we are nearly there (sadly).

I posted this earlier on another thread:

If we are still in on 30 March I don’t think it’s because we were ‘wrong’. It’ll be because we were shafted. No doubt about it.
Thanks (not) Amber Rudd, Yvette Cooper et al.
Out of 650 MP’s on the HoC 500 are themselves Remainers.
We are having to battle to even TRY to implement this referendum even though a record number of voters went to the polls.
The only spark of hope is that as the meaningful vote comes up (thanks for that Gina Miller) the snakes in Parliament just might just be worrying about deselection at the next GE.

Maggie T would’ve SACKED those cabinet members who are trying their best to thwart Brexit. But then she was a leader and she wasn’t enarmoured of the EU (which is why she negotiated hard for our rebates - but then again she had a strong cabinet supporting her).

These MP’s voted overwhelmingly to trigger Article 50 after the referendum.

This is so dispiriting.
It’s a dog’s dinner, ‘negotiated’ very poorly from the get-go.
I think this has always been the plan (thanks Remainer TM with jazz hands from Olly Robbins).

GillT57 Wed 27-Feb-19 11:35:51

I note that even the most ardent of Brexit supporters are talking about damage limitation/it won't be too bad/it will be worth it in the end.......so much for the wonderful future out of the EU eh? I have asked many many times on here, just what rules have been imposed on people by the EU that have adversely affected their lives? What improvements do they expect? Answer came there none.

varian Wed 27-Feb-19 11:21:03

Thank you nana5852. We just cannot allow those who peddle their lies and make threats to get away with it.

Even if you think it is unlikely to make a difference, I think it is worth doing whatever you can - email your MP, write to newspapers, join the march on 23rd March, even if you think it is very late in the day.

We owe it to our children and grandchildren to try to safeguard their future and the future of our country.

nana5852 Wed 27-Feb-19 10:43:45

Varian. I just wanted to send a message of appreciation for your thoughtful comments. I feel much as you do and in the midst of this horrible mess it’s good to know that there are sensible folk who share my distress.....though it’s a small consolation.

varian Sun 24-Feb-19 17:05:28

Remainers, not remainders.

varian Sun 24-Feb-19 17:04:38

Theresa May, having yet again failed in her attempt to renegotiate, has cancelled next week's "meaningful vote" and now says it will happen "by 12th March".

Surely it is high time the sane remainders in her party told her she cannot kick the can down the road any longer.

Labaik Sun 24-Feb-19 15:51:04

But it's a rubbish deal and we'd be better off staying in the EU. The ERG don't like it and they are the instigators of the Brexit that leave voters appear to have voted for. Which was a vote for uncertainty. Which is pretty much what we've got.

lemongrove Sun 24-Feb-19 15:45:14

Yes, the really bad thing is the uncertainty of it all.
MP’s could end all that by approving May’s deal, therefore ending uncertainty and a no deal scenario, but they are all
Too intent on themselves and what they want, to do that.

Labaik Sun 24-Feb-19 15:40:48

No one knows what on earth is going on. Schools are having to make contingency plans in case exams are disrupted. People who sell items that will take longer than the end of March can't take orders because they don't know what is going to happen. That's the cliff edge that I can see....

jura2 Sun 24-Feb-19 15:32:56

Gove talked about the country being like a 'banana Republic' if the Ref. was not respected. And my post above said that any vote, election or Referendum based on lies, fraud, foreign interference and illegal funding - would be just that, the politics of a 'banana republic' -and we would be the first to condemn it. The hypocrisy is vast.

lemongrove Sun 24-Feb-19 15:13:50

I really don’t think that May wants a no deal scenario, since she has been negotiating for so long to get a deal, she then got a deal, but MP’s refused to go for it.
She is now trying to get the Irish backstop position is improved, but even if she does, the MP’s will try and scupper it.
What part of all that is May wanting a cliff edge exactly??