Gransnet forums

News & politics

Queen appeals her rates bill in Scotland

(92 Posts)
paddyann Wed 20-Feb-19 22:09:16

Well it is £16.8 thousand pounds surely we cant expect her to pay that herself out of the vast amount she takes off the taxpayers? This parasitic family makes my blood boil.Anyone else who wouldn't pay their rates would find themselves in court or vacating the property ...WHY should they be different ?They still USE all the services dont they?

annep1 Fri 22-Feb-19 15:56:37

Elizabeth Windsor lol. sounds good.?

PECS Fri 22-Feb-19 14:52:13

Annie it may be a vulgar term but it can still be true!

The rush to counter anyone suggesting the top members of the royal family are less than perfect by some posters is predictable.

I do not dislike Elizabeth Windsor.. I do not know her so I cannot have any strong feeling either way. She is part of a system that I do not like. It is the role she has to play that I oppose rather than the individual.

I find it hard to really understand the sort of hero worship of some loyal royalists to particular members of the RF and their strong dislike of others.. rather as if they were soap opera characters rather than real people with feelings, failings and strengths just like anybody else.

Anniebach Fri 22-Feb-19 14:38:11

paddyann calling posters ‘ass lickers’ is wrong and vulgar too

paddyann Fri 22-Feb-19 14:18:37

Well * gillybob* she got grants too for her estates from the EU as well as government grants .Makes me pig sick.NO I wont" give over" Chewbacca MY opinion is every bit as valid as the Royal ass lickers on here .

gillybob Fri 22-Feb-19 14:15:37

Maybe I should change the record but what sickens me is why someone with her maj’s vast wealth would even bother to appeal a £16,000 council tax bill ( which is only just over £14,000 more than mine for a 2 bedroom terrace ) . Does she need the money? Is it just sheer greed? Or does she think her status is such that she should be exempt from paying at all ? I wonder if she has ever stopped to think that the less she pays the more others have to pay . I doubt it .

annep1 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:46:10

Depends how their ancestors acquired it Anniebach

Anniebach Fri 22-Feb-19 13:40:28

Is anyone responsible for what they inherit from ancestors ?

annep1 Fri 22-Feb-19 13:32:14

Paddyann I don't like having a Royal Family. No one will ever convince me that it's right for one family to have this position or to own so much of the land in Britain. When they talk about paying for things from their own wealth no one ever asks where did their wealth originally come from.
I feel strongly about it. I used to feel really angry too but there's no point in stressing about it.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Feb-19 10:23:17

Estate managers talk to each other, I imagine they are all contesting their business taxes, so it is not unexpected that the Royal Estate Managers are doing the same.

Anniebach Fri 22-Feb-19 10:02:47

paddyann if you truely believe the queen does all the running of her two estates herself it is you who needs a reality check.

Chewbacca Fri 22-Feb-19 09:59:38

Oh give over paddyann! grin

paddyann Fri 22-Feb-19 09:58:34

Chewbacca I dont not like the royals, I despise them and all they stand for .I make no secret of that .I often say wheres a guillotine when you need one.Though I wouldn't Actually cut off their heads just their lifestyle and hereditary succession nonsense .Anyone worth hundreds of millions who is reluctant to pay the going rate ,though I'm sure thats quite a low rate for the estate ,needs a reality check.But we know Lizzie and her merry band of parasitic bandits haven't a clue about real life .

mcem Fri 22-Feb-19 09:56:21

She isn't disputing council tax, as any of us could if we feel justified. It's business rates for the sporting estate.
The local pub and Post Office in the village pay business rates so why shouldn't the grouse moors business do the same?

Chewbacca Fri 22-Feb-19 09:52:29

I appealed against my "rates", or council tax when I bought my house 12 years ago. Not only did I succeed in getting it reduced by 2 bands lower: all of my immediate neighbours did too. And they got full refunds for the amount of time they'd been paying council tax at the higher band, going back to 1996 or 1998 (?). I was very popular with my neighbours grin. The freedom to challenge your council tax banding is open to everyone, why should HM be any different apart from the fact that just don't like her paddyann?

Grammaretto Fri 22-Feb-19 09:39:55

Anniebach grin

Not all Scottish landowners are terrible.

Anniebach Thu 21-Feb-19 21:22:43

The queen does all her estate business I expect.

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 20:56:04

"Andy Wightman, the Scottish Greens MSP, said: “Bringing shooting estates into non-domestic rates is about fairness and it’s no surprise wealthy landowners are seeking to pay as little as possible.”
Tommy Sheppard, the SNP MP for Edinburgh East, said he was “astounded” by how low the Queen’s business rates bill was for her sporting estate. “If £16,800 is the rates she pays for the sporting estate at Balmoral, it seems very low. I’m astounded. It’s less than a small bar in Edinburgh or Glasgow would pay,” he said. “Tax is about the ability to pay and I am confident the Queen is not going to be overburdened by her rates bill for Balmoral and will lead by example by making her due contribution to public services.”

Taken from The National

Anniebach Thu 21-Feb-19 20:51:21

I do give a fig the English murdered the last Prince of Wales,
?

annep1 Thu 21-Feb-19 20:43:29

I give a fig what land people own if it was assumed it belonged to them. see history section of my previous post.

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:49:58

Should the head of state challenge the taxes of their own country
Definitely, if they have got the calculations wrong - hope for us all!

Caledonai14 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:08:46

Oops, er, three examples. blush

Caledonai14 Thu 21-Feb-19 19:07:34

This is just a guess, but I think all the buildings on the Balmoral Estate would be subject to the normal rates and those will not be the subject of the appeal. The business rate being objected to by other estates is the reimposed rate for the parts of their land used for so-called sporting pursuits like shooting and fishing. They've (all of them) had an exemption for those for a long time but I think they were reinstated in 2016. There are bound to be established business rates imposed for things like farm shops, riding schools and conference facilities (just to name two examples that I know of) and domestic buildings will be covered by Aberdeenshire's rates rate if you know what I mean. I think the total bill for an estate will be much higher than the amounts we are discussing and I can add that most of the small businesses I know object every time because the business rate is regarded as cripplingly high.

Elegran Thu 21-Feb-19 19:06:52

She is appealing the application of those taxes and perhaps the arithmetic of those who assessed them.

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 18:50:40

Would /should we expect the head of state (royal or president) to set a good example? Should the head of state challenge the taxes of their own country?

lemongrove Thu 21-Feb-19 18:46:02

Why disgusting to appeal? We appealed at a former house,
It’s available for all and if the appeal fails they will pay up.