Gransnet forums

News & politics

Queen appeals her rates bill in Scotland

(91 Posts)
paddyann Wed 20-Feb-19 22:09:16

Well it is £16.8 thousand pounds surely we cant expect her to pay that herself out of the vast amount she takes off the taxpayers? This parasitic family makes my blood boil.Anyone else who wouldn't pay their rates would find themselves in court or vacating the property ...WHY should they be different ?They still USE all the services dont they?

lemongrove Wed 20-Feb-19 22:13:38

We can all appeal our ‘rates’ bill ( council tax) though, can’t we? we did, when we moved to our former house.

M0nica Wed 20-Feb-19 22:17:43

Why shouldn't she?

Anniebach Wed 20-Feb-19 22:25:27

paddyann she pays the rates bill

Niobe Wed 20-Feb-19 22:34:09

Paddyann, surely she is entitled to appeal against the council tax but the local authority don't have to grant a reduction. Do you know which local authority is involved? Might it be worth making your views known to them?

gillybob Wed 20-Feb-19 22:38:08

I wish I could appeal my bloody well £1800 per year rates bill (aka council tax) for my 2 bedroomed terraced house. Not flaming well likely though in one of the poorest boroughs of the NE of England . Shame on her maj . I’m with you paddyann these people make me sick to the stomach.

gillybob Wed 20-Feb-19 22:39:45

Sorry I meant £1800 plus the 3.6% rise in April. (To pay for social care) something her maj and co. will never have to pay for.

MissAdventure Wed 20-Feb-19 22:47:08

I can just imagine the letter box flapping, and her maj sloping up the hall in dressing gown and slippers.
"Oh gawd, another bill..."
"How much?!"
Straight on the phone..
If you are homeless, press 1.
For recycling press 2.
For parks and open spaces press 3.
*half hour musical interval featuring Enya singing 'Sail Away'*
The person you need to speak to is not at their desk. Please leave a message after the tone...

Anniebach Wed 20-Feb-19 22:50:29

MissAdventure so true

Jalima1108 Wed 20-Feb-19 23:29:20

surely we cant expect her to pay that herself out of the vast amount she takes off the taxpayers?

No, we can't expect her to pay that herself.
She pays it out of her own money because it's a private residence, so relax paddyann

And if she is not going to use any of the services that's all the more for you, isn't it.
(I can see the steam coming out of your ears from here!)

Jalima1108 Wed 20-Feb-19 23:30:48

No, we can't expect her to pay that herself. that should have been in quotes.

Yes, she does pay it herself; don't get het up, it's not your money she uses.
The Sovereign Grant is for the business of the Head of State, not her personal use.

R e l a x
and
B r e a t h e

Jalima1108 Wed 20-Feb-19 23:32:32

I just cannot understand why you don't 'get it'.

annep1 Thu 21-Feb-19 07:22:32

I think anyone should be able to appeal their tax bill.
Where does her own money come from though?

annep1 Thu 21-Feb-19 07:29:46

for example

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Cornwall

Oldwoman70 Thu 21-Feb-19 07:38:32

I doubt very much if she actually appealed this herself. She would have an estate manager to deal with these things. She is probably unaware an appeal was sent in.

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 07:57:02

If it is her property (& not an official state owned one) she pays the costs from her large personal wealth.
She is entitled to challenge as we all are.
gillybob your council tax sounds very high almost like mine in SE but I have more rooms . ?

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 08:01:01

Have just looked the info up. It is business rate because the land is used commercially for shooting and stalking.
A change in the rating system in 2016 in Scoctland has caused the hike.

paddyann Thu 21-Feb-19 08:24:34

Sorry Jalima I'll put on my cap and tug the rim instantly ..I DONT get it .Like any other person who has hundreds of millions of pounds and who EARNS money from land she should pay tax on it.Given the fact the bloody government is subsidising the "moors" by tens of millions already she's doing more than OK .There should be an outcry about it and there likely will be here ,we're not genetically programmed to be cap tuggers .

Anniebach Thu 21-Feb-19 08:26:45

Are the moors privately owned by the queen ?

gillybob Thu 21-Feb-19 08:26:45

The council tax in my labour controlled borough is one of the highest in the country PECS . Services are diabolical, there are pot holes aplenty and most of the shops are gone . The council executives ( of which there are many ) enjoy sone of the highest council salaries in the country (think £120-150k each plus pensions and expenses) There is a high proportion of elderly ( ex heavy industry and mining ) needing social care and wages are some of the lowest in the country. Those of us who can pay are pushed to the limits.

I think I pay more council tax than the highest band in Kensington and Chelsea . Fair ? I don’t think so .

PECS Thu 21-Feb-19 08:33:19

Sounds crazy to me! We have an almost 100% Tory council and the same accusations are thrown at them re high payments to them but no services ..and high cost housing plans going through on the nod but never any social or even affordable homes!,

mcem Thu 21-Feb-19 08:46:21

The moors within the extensive Balmoral estate belong to her and are rightly charged as a busness, paying rates accordingly.
We had a thread a while back, comparing council tax around the country and as gilly points out the results were quite shocking.

gillybob Thu 21-Feb-19 08:52:18

I think Her maj’s £16000 bill is a absolute bargain ( in comparison to my almost £2000) and I hope when she appeals they double it !

gillybob Thu 21-Feb-19 08:53:19

Although pissing on her lawn ain’t gonna make mine any greener is it? wink

Elegran Thu 21-Feb-19 08:58:00

It is not "wouldn't pay their rates", it is an appeal - which may or may not succeed. She or her agent has as much right to appeal as anyone else.

Is the amount a reasonable one for the property on which it is charged ? If not, then it will be reduced, If it is judged reasonable, the charge will stand and be paid, out of her personal piggy bank, not from what she receives out of taxes.