Gransnet forums

News & politics

David Lammy/Stacey Dooley

(319 Posts)
Lily65 Thu 28-Feb-19 13:20:57

I agree with him . I don't like the image. I find Children in Need and Comic Relief unbearable to watch ,as it cuts between people in a bath of beans to famine in the developing world.

Sparklefizz Thu 28-Feb-19 16:29:06

Apparently Comic Relief asked David Lammy to go and he snubbed them, which says everything.

lemongrove Thu 28-Feb-19 16:32:00

Lammy loves to be controversial, but apart from that I do understand that Africa is a huge continent with many successful countries within it, and even in the poorer ones, there are still many who are doing alright and may hate the
(Outdated?) attitudes, eg. Pouring aid money in and thinking that people there are sitting around makeshift huts
Owning 2 hens and a goat.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 28-Feb-19 16:34:21

Isn't the relief that gets sent to Africa, not just from Comic relief and Children in Need, but Christian Aid, Oxfam, UNICEF and many others used to build schools to educate the children so that they can become doctors, teachers, farmers etc which in turn helps the local communities which has a knock on effect of helping the country.

Are we getting to a point in our history where it is wrong for a Caucasian man or women to be seen to help a person of colour.

I listened to David Lammy on This Morning, and he did come across as racist, laying everything at the door of "white folks"!!! People of colour also had slaves and participated in the slave trade, People of colour still to this day prey on their weaker neighbours.

Whenever there is a famine or natural disaster we are the first to help, our generosity is unwavering, how would they manage without aid?

Sparklefizz Thu 28-Feb-19 16:35:59

Well said Granny Gravy

Lily65 Thu 28-Feb-19 16:40:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lemongrove Thu 28-Feb-19 16:40:41

I once heard a programme ( very interesting) on the radio, where old Africa hands suggested that countries within the continent would now start to do better without our aid,
Except in times of drought/emergency/wars.
That Europe props up dictators and corrupt regimes by massive aid, and that the people in those countries would overthrow or vote out the worst ones, but that they would never improve themselves by relying on our aid.

lemongrove Thu 28-Feb-19 16:41:59

Some good points there GG13

Lily65 Thu 28-Feb-19 16:45:54

Are we getting to a point in our history where it is wrong for a Caucasian man or women to be seen to help a person of colour

No we are not, I very much hope. We are all humans. I think he was trying to draw attention to the image. Stacey D comes across to me as an interesting, feisty, genuine celebrity who is no bimbo. I admire her. Lammy was trying to draw attention to the image,the imbalance of power if you like. It would have been to me preferable to see Stacey working alongside people , as she does so well.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 28-Feb-19 16:51:17

Lily65, Stacey has said that she spent time working alongside the people and aid workers, which will be shown on tv. She is an extremely good investigative journalist.

David Lammy has based his argument on one photograph posted by her on her instagram/twitter profile.

Joelsnan Thu 28-Feb-19 16:52:34

Paddyann
we plundered it for centuries. The Chinese are doing the same at the moment. Is there the same outrage? I see it is called 'infrastructure development'. Maybe when the Europeans were conducting 'infrastructure development' then it was considered okay at that time, it is only now different eyes perceive it as evil. Don't forget slavery had been happening for centuries before Europeans were sold poor souls by the indigenous populations, just the same as the modern slave traders continue their heinous trade today, and it was Europeans that stopped their purchase of slaves though the trade with the middle east continued. Indeed slaves are still traded within Africa and other countries.
I often wonder why after so many billions and billions have been given in aid over decades (if not centuries), some African nations still apparently struggle educationally, socially and economically.
BTW I do not feel that white pop/media or other personalities do these trips purely for kudos, because of their profiles they are able to highlight the issues that require aid gifting to improve the lives of those shown. They do the same when visiting UK charities, their skin colour should be irrelevant.

Anniebach Thu 28-Feb-19 16:53:05

Draw attention to the image ? A white woman holding a black child , who needs attention drawn to this?

Nicenanny3 Thu 28-Feb-19 16:57:03

He is racist and has a big chip on his shoulder.

Maggiemaybe Thu 28-Feb-19 17:41:31

I think it’s a shame that whatever Lammy’s motivation was, his stance might just lead to less money being donated to Comic Relief.

Also, SD is the wrong person to pick, if he wants to highlight celebrity virtue signalling. She’s a very competent and fearless journalist who has shone a light on some very dark issues, not some airhead looking for self-promotion.

Lily65 Thu 28-Feb-19 17:59:21

He is racist and has a big chip on his shoulder and you know this because......?

Lily65 Thu 28-Feb-19 18:03:28

The Chinese are doing the same at the moment. Is there the same outrage? I see it is called 'infrastructure development'. Maybe when the Europeans were conducting 'infrastructure development' then it was considered okay at that time, it is only now different eyes perceive it as evil

That has got to be one of the worst things I have ever read here.

Here is a little something from bitesize GCSE History which may help you.

The Berlin Conference began the process of carving up Africa, paying no attention to local culture or ethnic groups, and leaving people from the same tribe on separate sides of European-imposed borders

Nicenanny3 Thu 28-Feb-19 18:04:35

You know he isn't because...?

Lily65 Thu 28-Feb-19 18:12:13

not a very intelligent reply really.

What is a chip on the shoulder got to do with objecting to a cliched and out dated image?

I can't for the life of me see why he would have a chip on his shoulder?

Joelsnan Thu 28-Feb-19 18:28:15

Lily65
I do find your responses somewhat tangential as you respond with something quite different to what is inferred in the messages you condem.

Lily65 Thu 28-Feb-19 18:36:06

A 5% rise in developing countries’ share of world exports would generate $350bn – seven times as much as they receive in aid

GrannyGravy13 Thu 28-Feb-19 18:38:54

Lily65 on other threads it has often been said that the UK could/should import more from Africa. Unfortunately whenever it crops up the "air miles police" object???

Urmstongran Thu 28-Feb-19 19:02:41

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

petra Thu 28-Feb-19 19:19:25

lily65
He is racist and has a big chip on his shoulders
And you know this because........?
Here's a clue: it's in the words that come out of his mouth and the articles that he writes.

Lily65 Thu 28-Feb-19 19:25:27

What do you mean UG? There is nothing disingenuous about my post. I agree with what he said. I think it is an outdated and unfortunate image.

Quite how we more on to racist and chip on shoulder I don't know. I doubt Joelsnan need a heads up somehow and petra I await your reply to my question about your nasty comment.

Lily65 Thu 28-Feb-19 19:26:00

move not more

Lily65 Thu 28-Feb-19 19:27:15

Chuck out 3 or 4 examples of his racism.....I await.