Gransnet forums

News & politics

We BREXIT this month (hopefully) 🤞

(1000 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 09:42:15

Any fellow Leavers who would like to use this thread to post GOOD NEWS (away from Remainer doom & gloom)?

How about this for starters:

Norway’s $1 trillion (£753 billion) sovereign wealth fund – among the world’s most respected investors – has just confirmed it will boost its UK holdings. “Over time, our UK allocation will increase,” said Yngve Slyngstad, the Norwegian Fund’s CEO. “With our 30-year-plus time horizon, current political discussions don’t change our view,” he added, reaffirming his commitment to Britain even in the case of a no-deal Brexit.
This kind of clear-sighted, grown-up analysis contrasts starkly with the endless doom-mongering we get from subsidy-hungry politicos at the CBI. It’s precisely because Britain will thrive after Brexit that we attracted record foreign direct investment last year, beating the US, with only China attracting more. Even British start-ups raised almost £8  billion in venture capital during 2018 – some 70 per cent more than their French and German counterparts.
Boeing has opened its first manufacturing plant in Europe – in Sheffield. Technology-driven investment is piling in – not just to London but to Manchester and the North-East too. And, as Brexit-bashing stories about planes not flying are trumped by reality, investors from China to the Middle East are flocking to a country just judged by Forbes magazine as the “best place in the world to do business” for the second year in a row.
Yes, overseas investors are taking advantage of the weaker pound, which makes UK assets look attractive. But that’s how exchange rates work – which is why Europe’s monetary union is so crippling for many of its members.

Sorry for the long post but I’m not keen on links!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Mar-19 09:49:32

Urmstrongran I totally agree, I saw the Norwegian Investment News, there is a lot of good business news about.

Dr. Martens (shoe company) are making a big new investment in a factory providing 300+ new jobs.

London and other UK cities are full of tourists like you say.

MaizieD Fri 01-Mar-19 10:02:59

You may not be keen on links but you could at least tell us where you copied and pasted it from.

And perhaps you could turn your attention to explaining why the Leave lies weren't lies at all.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 10:06:54

Excellent news GG13
I just thought I’d be nice for a month to post POSITIVE comments we read about Brexit. They are there!

The thread below this is about the petition to stop Brexit.
There’s another one about a march on 23rd March.
Another one about a ‘cliff edge’ (note, not leaving on WTO terms)
Ad nauseum.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 10:10:36

Oh good morning MaizieD I’m surprised to see you posting on her (not) with your requests for ‘links & evidence’ as per.

Actually it was The Telegraph today (don’t groan I do read the Graun too) and it’s also on Sky. It’s ‘news’. ❤️

I’m not getting into the second part of your post. It’ll spoil this thread. I answered that COMPREHENSIVELY yesterday on another thread for varian.

Cherrytree59 Fri 01-Mar-19 10:14:45

Fingers and toes crossed.
🇬🇧

Yes the Norwegians said that they work on 30 year plan and do not focus on the political climate of the day.

Read somewhere that
Gtec have plans to move back to Uk.

Some St David day daffodil daffodil daffodil from our UK flower growerssmile

EllanVannin Fri 01-Mar-19 10:22:47

Don't hold your breath.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 10:24:32

Now, now Cherrytree you’ll have Maizie D on your case requesting evidence of your sources!!
🤣🤣

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 10:27:11

Curmudgeonly comments aren’t welcome on this thread EV but I know I can’t be prescriptive and all you Remainers WILL be on here to hijack the point of my thread.
☹️
I shall just ignore you all (on HERE).
I’m fed up of the negativity.

paddyann Fri 01-Mar-19 10:27:49

Norways wealth fund !!! Why the hell has westminster SQUANDERED the billions from Scottish oil over the past 40 0dd years ? What have they spent it on? Certainly wasn't given to us we get a mere 8% of the tax while WM takes the rest even though its in our waters .Maybe they could have lessons from Norway on financial mangement ?

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 10:29:25

I’ve just checked under my mattress paddyann.
Nada.

Cherrytree59 Fri 01-Mar-19 11:07:29

Think your right Paddyann we probably should be looking towards a more Nordic style business model. smile

petra Fri 01-Mar-19 11:07:30

Re the Norwegian investment fund, reportable the wealthiest in the world.
You don't get to that level without knowing how many beans make 5 wink

MaizieD Fri 01-Mar-19 11:10:54

Thatcher spent it on tax cuts for the wealthy, paddyann. UK governments have form for squandering 'windfalls. They spent their Marshall Aid money (having received a larger sum than any other European country) on propping up their dying empire and trying to maintain their Great Power status. Whereas others (I won't mention Germany as this is a Leavers thread) used it to rebuild their shattered economies.

Two tory decisions that left the UK struggling to recover from. And now we have a third tory initiated mess to deal with, the needless 'austerity' policy and the idiotic referendum. I wish you well in Scotland's struggle to break free!

So Norway has decided to take a punt on the UK economy recovering within 30.years? Well, I suppose it's more optimistic than Rees Mogg's prediction of 50 years. But as neither Norway or Mogg will suffer in the interim I suppose they are comfortable with the long view.

winterwhite Fri 01-Mar-19 11:13:07

Well, it’s the 30-year plan that’s the difficulty isn’t it? Can we wait that long? What do they predict for 2 or 5 years,

lemongrove Fri 01-Mar-19 11:27:14

I admire your hopeful attitude to threads on GN Urmston
But if there is one thing I’ve learned on this forum it’s that negativity rules the day, indeed many glory in it.

I would rather stay in the EU than accept a Norway style deal.....it’s awful!

Of course the UK will continue to do well outside of the EU
Bloc whatever happens, but the best thing now ( because we are where we are) is that Parliament accept May’s deal.
They won’t though, as she has made the mistake of offering
An extension of a few months.

The UK has all sorts of positive areas going for it, in fact foreign investors continuing plans to pour in money here, and London being a financial ‘powerhouse’ plus tourism and the megabucks that generates, and a good economy with almost full capacity working population are just some of the good things.

Baggs Fri 01-Mar-19 11:36:16

Why the hell has westminster SQUANDERED the billions from Scottish oil over the past 40 0dd years ? What have they spent it on?

paddyann, I think they've spent a good deal of it on Scotland. I recently visited Dundee, where I was a student in the mid-seventies. The town is looking orders of magnitude better than it did back then. The same is true of other parts of Scotland. Things have definitely improved during the last few decades.

newnanny Fri 01-Mar-19 11:40:33

Some young Remainer's are waking up to bullying EU and would now vote to Leave.

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1093745/Brexit-news-EU-UK-withdrawal-no-deal-May-Rompuy-backstop-vote-latest

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 11:41:59

I agree lemongrove many do glory in the negativity - real doom merchants! Of course they would call themselves realists.

But that’s why I wanted this thread, especially this month.

Good news is out there.

McGilchrist41 Fri 01-Mar-19 11:45:10

It is time for this hopeless government to just get on with it and leave. We will adapt and survive and thrive, we always do.

Cherrytree59 Fri 01-Mar-19 12:21:28

What is 46 years in the grand scheme.
It is a mere ripple in the ocean.smile

JenniferEccles Fri 01-Mar-19 12:42:42

Roll on March 29th ! Ok I do realise that three weeks is a very long time in politics, especially at the moment, and nothing is certain yet but this optimistic thread is such a lovely change all the ranting and raving from the 'we are all doooomed' brigade.

We need a name for it, don't we? How about UK Independence Day?

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 12:51:36

Lovely idea JE and I’d love a Bank Holiday too next year to commemorate it! That won’t happen though.

Grandad1943 Fri 01-Mar-19 13:02:35

Well, I hate to break the OPs "Brexit euphoria bubble" here, but British manufacturing forward ordering is now at near stagnation. While current output production in many companies is stable, that situation is due to "stockpiling" in front of a possible no deal Brexit. Job losses in the manufacturing industry are currently at a six-year high, and that redundancy situation can only increase as the stockpiling production comes to an end.

The problem for many UK industries (not just manufacturing) is their inability to be able to accurately quote prices to prospective European based customers due to not knowing what tariff,s could be placed on their products on export.

However, my own company has been extremely busy of late due to businesses acquiring extra warehousing space for stockpiling, and we have been fortunate to obtain a large amount of work setting up the safety regimes in those stock holding centres. So as the old adage states, " it's an ill wind that blows no one any good".

And it is very much looking as though we will not be leaving on March 29th. The 30th of June......possibly?

A link to the above manufacturing industry problems can be found below:-
BBC News - Manufacturing job losses 'at six-year high'
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47414916

JenniferEccles Fri 01-Mar-19 13:09:32

Grandad1943 Urmstongran specifically asked for no negativity on this thread.

Heaven knows there are enough of those threads already.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion