Gransnet forums

News & politics

Maddie

(86 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 19:07:03

The Home Office received the official request from detectives today as funding for Operation Grange begins to run out.

More than £11million has far been spent on trying to find Madeleine who went missing in Portugal on May 3, 2007.

It is hoped the extra funding, which will see investigations continue until March 2020, will bring new hope in finding Madeleine.

What are the thoughts on this request for more funding? Heartbreaking though it must be for her family, is it time to stop?

EllanVannin Fri 01-Mar-19 19:34:25

I can't help thinking that someone's making a packet somewhere. My thoughts will be founded if they suddenly find her.
It's as though the police are playing for time because there must be something in the wind or they wouldn't continue.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 19:42:28

£11.75million has been spent so far and after nearly 12 years - nothing.

Gonegirl Fri 01-Mar-19 19:51:32

Depends if they think the possibility of a conclusion is in sight.

Gonegirl Fri 01-Mar-19 19:52:09

I would say give them the money anyway.

Beau Fri 01-Mar-19 20:03:59

imo, it was time to stop years ago. They left those children alone and if they had been 'a different class of person', one can't help but wonder whether it all would have played out like this or very differently indeed.

GabriellaG54 Fri 01-Mar-19 20:16:43

No no and 1,000 × NO.
ENOUGH.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 20:17:05

As a mother there is no price you could put on a missing child. However, without any evidence of actually being closer to finding Madeline I fail to see how this investigation can continue. What will another achieve?

If there is significant evidence - then yes, but I'm afraid to say that surely all lines of enquiry have been exhausted.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 20:18:31

So, I’ll put you down as a ‘no’ then GG54?
??

kittylester Fri 01-Mar-19 20:22:29

Maddie's family live near us and I've seen her mum about. Just looking at her makes me say yes but I probably would think that enough is enough in any other case.

annsixty Fri 01-Mar-19 20:23:15

How sad for the family, they will never get over it, but enough is enough.
A time will have to come to stop although if they are prepared to fund it that is up to them.

GabriellaG54 Fri 01-Mar-19 20:25:49

If they had strong leads they would have found her by now.
It's a bobbies holiday...on full pay and overtime.
When are the decision makers going to say 'Enough!' ?
They don't want to look for a missing pilot but expect to fund a jolly, looking for a girl of 15...?
Would she even be recognisable?
Let the parents spend the not I considerable amount that the public raised.
The police can't even turn up to crimes here even though the victims have solid proof of a crime.
'We only have 3 officers covering the whole of Yorkshire', is the cry, or summat like that.
Makes my blood boil.

GabriellaG54 Fri 01-Mar-19 20:27:27

I considerable angry inconsiderable grin

GabriellaG54 Fri 01-Mar-19 20:30:01

Urmstongran
hmm er...yes...er...no...yes, it's a no. ?

varian Fri 01-Mar-19 20:56:05

I, so sympathise with the parents of Maddie, but I wonder how many other children have gone missing over these years who have not been so thoroughly investigated.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Mar-19 20:58:17

We have walked past the apartment where she disappeared from 100 plus times, my heart says one can never give up looking for a child.

My head is saying enough is enough

Anniebach Fri 01-Mar-19 21:26:39

Yes, The parents were accused of murdering her, the loss of a child is torture, to be accused of killing your child ?

Lisagran Fri 01-Mar-19 21:31:46

The parents were not accused of murdering her by the police - such suggestions were made online by the public, or in the press........

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Mar-19 21:41:25

Lisagran they were “persons of interest” under Portuguese Law sorry I cannot spell the term used. Which translates to maybe involved in the murder of!!

Heart breaking for the family.

Grammaretto Fri 01-Mar-19 21:41:51

The money apart, it's so desperately sad and if the continuing hunt gives people hope then it must be worth doing.
I read your subject line and automatically assumed there was some news.

Anniebach Fri 01-Mar-19 21:47:15

The parents were formal suspects in Portugal , this was lifted the following year because of insufficient evidence

Amaral , officer in charge even wrote a book claiming they were guilty

Urmstongran Fri 01-Mar-19 21:52:44

Sorry Grammaretto if I misled you. Not intended I assure you. I just hoped to be direct when finding it again to post on.
Sometimes threads are entitled something like ‘what do you think’ etc and I lose track a bit of what the subjects are and have to open a few to find the one I’m looking for. Maybe I just have a rubbish memory.
If anyone thinks the title is insensitive I’m happy to ask GNHQ if I can alter it?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Mar-19 21:54:51

Anniebach at the end of the day parents have lost a child - I cannot imagine anything more heartbreaking

Day6 Fri 01-Mar-19 21:56:51

Yes, it's a heart and head case, isn't it?

I feel for her parents, but, nothing has brought her back so far. Thorough investigations have taken place, so they could not have asked for more support in finding their daughter. It has to stop now.

Anniebach Fri 01-Mar-19 22:28:35

GrannyGravy, they have lost their child, formal suspects ,
Accused by some media, inundated with abusive , letters, the police officer in charge writes a book explaining how they did it,
I have no idea what their thoughts are about leaving the children that evening to have supper but they may be living with ‘if only’ how does any parent cope with all that.