Gransnet forums

News & politics

'Lisbon Treaty 2020'

(52 Posts)
MaizieD Tue 05-Mar-19 14:12:56

I am posting this because a post about this 'treaty' is going viral on social media (and, indeed, has already been posted here on Gnet fairly recently). It's titled 'Lisbon Treaty 2020' and consists of a list of things which are supposedly going to happen to in the EU after 2020.

It is completely fake and utterly untrue. There is no such thing as a Lisbon Treaty 2020 and there is nothing at all in the real Lisbon Treaty (2009) which justifies it.

There is a refutation of it here in the form of a twitter thread by Steve Peers, Professor of EU Law at Essex University:

threadreaderapp.com/thread/1087258784001654784.html

And an article by Polly Toynbee from today's Guardian:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/04/anti-eu-brexit-fake-news

Of course, there are Leavers who will believe that all the viral post says is absolutely true but I'm not writing this thread for people who don't recognise the truth when it rises up and hits them in the face It's for Remainers who may see the viral post on their social media and want an authoritative refutation

varian Wed 13-Mar-19 18:46:30

Jacob Rees Mogg, John Redwood and the other advocates of "no-deal" are indeed looking forward to lining their pockets as they are advocates of "disaster capitalism". Mogg's father wrote a book about it.

What you do is move all your money out of the UK, then deliberately cause a political disaster in the UK so the socaial fabric and the economy collapse, then swoop in like vultures to buy up all the assets of the many firms which go bust for a song and get even richer.

Stack away all your profits in a tax haven and Hey Presto- you are no longer a tax-dodging multimillionaire - you are a tax-dodging billionaire!!!

Nanniejc1 Wed 13-Mar-19 16:54:33

maxdecatt I agree 100% it’s about time someone stood up for the Brexiteers on gransnet.Everyone I know voted to leave ,young & old......I’m furious that the politicians refuse to accept a ‘No Deal’ Brexit which is what the majority voted for,not for a ‘crap’ deal cobbled together with Junker & Merkel,which obviously benefits the EU.......no one seems to like the deal.....Remainers or Leavers.May has never believed in Brexit so it’s time she went ,she’s a disaster,weak & feeble .Its about time the Conservatives did what they put forward in their manifesto.Im sick to death of all the scaremongering,nobody believes it anyway,in fact I don’t think many people trust the politicians anymore,they are all lining their own pockets.

Toots Wed 13-Mar-19 08:08:06

maxdecatt you say it as it is... you are a breath of fresh air!.. (though it makes pretty depressing reading because sadly it's so true... ?)...

Shizam Tue 12-Mar-19 22:52:16

So sad that my country has come to this. Just awful. I would rather be governed by EU than the shower of power-crazed idiots that we currently have. And a recent poll said most people in Britain don’t know or care about the Irish border! Just shocking.

varian Tue 12-Mar-19 18:18:49

As long as we are in the EU we have the power to veto any such move if we judge it is not in our national interest.

quizqueen Tue 12-Mar-19 16:21:04

The EU wants greater union for its member states and that is a truth. When the UK is outside of the EU, everyone can watch what happens in the future and the truth will be revealed.

varian Tue 12-Mar-19 16:16:29

I have just watched BBC reporter Simon McCoy interview an ultra-brexiter Tory MP (Daniel someone?) who repeated this lie about the EU forcing all member countries to use the euro from 2020.

I was shocked that this MP, like fellow liar Esther McVey, should deliberately repeat what he must know to be a piece of propaganda fake news, and I was even more shocked that Simon McCoy did not challenge him!

The Brexit Broadcasting Corporation has completely lost the plot. No-one can any longer trust anything they hear on the BBC.

Charly Tue 12-Mar-19 16:06:33

Thank you, MaizieD. I certainly share your concern.

chrissyh Tue 12-Mar-19 15:37:37

Although I am an ardent Brexiteer I didn't believe this when I read it. I researched it and couldn't find anything to back it up. I then read the twitter thread by Steve Peers which confirmed my thoughts. If this had been true, I'm sure those few true Brexiteers in parliament would have made sure everybody knew about it.

petra Tue 12-Mar-19 15:03:57

nahsma
Would you describe Geoffrey Cox, the attorney general, who also voted to leave, a sentient adult?
Or is it only GN posters?
I think if you were to go toe to toe with him he would squash every argument that you came up with for staying in the eu.

petra Tue 12-Mar-19 14:46:19

maxdecatt
Where have you been all this time?
Nice to have you onboard, though. ?

Esmerelda Tue 12-Mar-19 14:35:38

I'd seen a post about this ages ago (how it was all fake, I mean). Anyway, as advised by my dad many years ago, I don't believe everything I read in the newspapers, just as I don't believe everything I read on line or see on TV. Incidentally I don't believe anything that politicians say!!?

varian Tue 12-Mar-19 14:17:13

What the more blinkered and brainwashed call "scaremongering" is in fact sensible warnings about the dire consequenses of a "no-deal" brexit. Not the end of the world, but the end of our future as a thriving, prosperous, socially cohesive, tolerant and well respected nation. No-one should wish to inflict that on their children and grandchildren.

Kisathecat Tue 12-Mar-19 13:34:05

It’s a bit like the warnings that you get with prescription drugs. Antidepressants - May cause anxiety and suicidal thoughts, steroid creams - May cause a rash, beta blockers - May cause palpitations. It’s all there but people just don’t want to see what is clearly stated. In black and white.

Mouse Tue 12-Mar-19 13:12:49

I find it hard to understand why people believe such rubbish. A little research soon shows it up as false.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 12-Mar-19 13:02:40

Varian. Scaremongering by BMW /Toyota feeding the minds of 'remainers' into believing sad a 'no deal' can only mean 'an end of the world is nigh'.

maxdecatt Tue 12-Mar-19 12:32:50

As his wife is German they were fully entitled to German passports...well not really. They, like you no doubt, are entitled to EU passports. From midnight on the 29th (unless the Quislings scupper things again) you will be entitled to a UK passport. Rejoice!

MaizieD Tue 12-Mar-19 12:32:48

All your own words, maxdecatt? hmm

breeze Tue 12-Mar-19 12:27:40

RosieLeah I find your comment offensive and insulting. You are obviously too dense to recognise a joke when you see one. Get your superior self off to pedants corner. So I should’ve said ‘Celt’ instead of ‘Saxon’ boo hoo. It was a joke said on a lengthy thread where I had already made my serious points. It was in reference to how far do you go back regarding resentment and clearly a joke. To use me as an example of an uneducated GN is unfair and spiteful. I’ve enjoyed a long and successful career thanks which involved using my brain. Let’s hope you don’t make any slip ups on any future threads eh.

silvertone Tue 12-Mar-19 12:26:03

Here is another authoritative assessment of the 'Lisbon Treaty 2020' nonsense.

fullfact.org/europe/viral-list-about-lisbon-treaty-wrong/?fbclid=IwAR0ukeQalzNC7yt3Dd3qm-ctVY0GuKPrRZoRnirBX0g8IDOMMdTBxXMT9OM

nahsma Tue 12-Mar-19 12:06:13

Is 'andycameron69' a troll? I find it hard to believe that a sentient adult could really believe such tosh. It is unfortunate that the lies promulgated by the likes of Farage, Johnson, et al, were not exposed more clearly before the 2016 referendum. Johnson is a proven liar and Farage is a chancer. They both have only their own interests at heart. Farage has acquired German passports for his offspring so they won't be inconvenienced by their father's self-indulgent shenanigans.

maxdecatt Tue 12-Mar-19 11:55:10

You do not need to see a "bad law" of the EU to know that the EU has becoming an overshadowing monolith that is crushing the life out of nation states. As a trading bloc it is acceptable, but when it starts to throw its puny weight about on the world stage there can only be one result.... disaster for all member states. If a nation cannot enact laws that the EU does not like, cannot protect their individual borders, cannot accept or reject those it considers dangerous, cannot decide their own foreign policies, cannot establish trade links without EU approval....can it be something a proud nation would want to be a part of? Then consider the fact that the real power of the EU rests with unelected bureaucrats that are the rejects of their own countries....think Juncker (the Luxembourg money-laundering kingpin banking shyster who escxaped gaol by bribery.) Tusk, the football thug turned Prime Minister of Poloand until bootred out for incompetence and corruption. They, and many more like them, are the power-brokers in the EU. Cross them and you will suffer...they have said that many times...with the active connivance of Quisling Remainers. It is they that have set about underming the democratic will of the UK voters. They know that without the UK the days of the EU are numbered, so they are deperate to foil Brexit by any means. Then think about the fact that the EU accountants have refused to sign the annual accounts for every year of the past 20, because they can see that the EU finances are riddled with bribery, corruption, money laundering and money squandering. If the EU is so wonderful it is surprising that the Remainers remain in the UK. Why have they not fled to the EU, in a sort of reverse flee to safety.... as practised by just about EVERY loudmouth EU country that fled to the UK when Germany threatened them and then thrashed them. Think: France, Belgium, Holland, Poland et al. It is a home truth they all avoid talking about as they happily take cash from Germany. When Germany finally presents the bill they will be unable to pay. When you cannot pay your assets are seized. As far as Germany is concerned that is a simpler and cheaper way of taking over than going to war. Finally, those that call for a second referendum NEVER tell us what they will do when they lose again. I wonder why? Have they not thought about it?

LuckyFour Tue 12-Mar-19 11:46:00

I'm sick of hearing that older people are to blame for Brexit. My DH and I voted to remain and so did my sister and family and all of the friends I have spoken to about this. My DD and her DH voted to leave. When asked why, she said Britain should not be ruled by Europe. My DGS had just turned 18 and voted remain. We all holiday a number of times a year in Europe and love it. I don't get it!

BRedhead59 Tue 12-Mar-19 11:06:19

This is one of the problems with social media we need to be very careful what we believe - always triangulate

counterpoint Tue 12-Mar-19 10:28:52

Still waiting to hear of a specific bad law forced on us by the EU.