Gransnet forums

News & politics

LP anitsemitism / CP islamophobia

(105 Posts)
humptydumpty Tue 05-Mar-19 16:54:39

There's been much discussion on GN about allegations of LP anti-semitism; I would be interested to hear what people think of islamophobia in CP:

"But Baroness Warsi, who was the UK's first female Muslim cabinet minister, has said her party had "turned a blind eye" to prejudice and become "institutionally Islamophobic".

She suggested the "rot had set in" several years ago and accused senior party officials of being "in denial" and presiding over an "opaque" complaints process." (BBC)

Grandad1943 Sun 10-Mar-19 21:30:10

POGS, the truth is that no one knows how many complaints regarding Islamaphobia have been forwarded to the Chairman of the Conservative party because that office will not divulge any figures. All they state is they see "no problem."

In the above, until they are more forthcoming with an inquiry, I cannot perceive how anyone can just condemn the Labour party who acknowledge they have a racist problem, when the Tory party will not give any access to the extent of racism in that party.

Baroness Warsi with a growing number of others certainly has knowledge of the extent of Islamaphobia in the Tory party as that brave women has been on the receiving end of some of it.

Therefore it is time the executive of the Tory party publicly acknowledge that there is a widespread problem of racism and gave details that can be verified of the number of complaints and other incidents there has been inside the party.

After all, with such small membership numbers, it should not take much time for the executive to compile such data even if they have to contact every subscribed member. Of course, that would have to include the person who was expelled from the party for Islamaphobic actions, but then re-admitted as a new member.

Grandad1943 Sun 10-Mar-19 21:43:24

Below is a link to a Guardian report that demonstrates the extent of Islamaphobia in the Tory party and the "reluctance" to deal with it or even acknowledge the extent of the problem.

Link to the Guardian report can be found here:-
www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/05/tories-suspend-14-members-over-alleged-islamophobia

POGS Sun 10-Mar-19 22:50:28

Grandad

You are a flogging a dead horse!

I have posted my response to the 14 in answer to your poi t and I have been open and fair on my opinion of islamophobia and antisemitism in ANY party. ! Read my posts.

From your link :-
Tory spokesperson said the Facebook group was “in no way affiliated with the Conservative party”, but it had identified “some people who are party members and they have been immediately suspended, pending further investigation”.

Apart from the 14 suspended members, the membership of three others is believed to have lapsed, leaving a further eight whose position is unclear, although the Conservatives do not immediately believe they are members."

There may be more to come but at this moment in time the massive difference between what has been reported in Labour and your denial of the numbers convolved is astonishing.

I am NOT denying facts when they are presented and subsequently dealt with, why would I?

varian Thu 21-Mar-19 10:30:11

The leader of the newly formed Nigel Farage-backed Brexit party has abruptly resigned after the discovery of a series of now deleted anti-Islam tweets that were posted from her account before she took the role.

Catherine Blaiklock resigned on Wednesday, two months after she set up the party with the Ukip leader, who went on to represent the group in the European Parliament.

Twitter posts sent from the former Ukip economics spokeswoman's account said that Islam was a threat to most of society, was "incompatible with liberal democracy" and a submission "mostly to raping men".

It is understood Ms Blaiklock took the decision to stand down after journalists questioned her about the comments.

www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-party-leader-quits-after-antiislam-tweets-posted-from-her-account-a4097041.html