Gransnet forums

News & politics

Misreading the country?

(416 Posts)
Jane10 Wed 13-Mar-19 07:01:27

It seems to me from talking to others and just listening in on conversations on buses and in shops etc that there is an overwhelming feeling that Westminster should just get on with it! This isn't a brexit/remainer thread. It's just expressing concern that Westminster is in its own little mixed up bubble and is just ignoring the people they're supposed to represent ie the great British public.

humptydumpty Wed 13-Mar-19 12:06:41

Exactly varian. And I heard on the BBC this morning that even if leaving with no deal is voted down today, it could still happen in the future!

jura2 Wed 13-Mar-19 12:06:41

JC needs to give way to someone who can explain all this clearly - and then put it back to the people asap.

humptydumpty Wed 13-Mar-19 12:07:54

I completely agree, jura, along with rulas as to minimum turnout and minimum margin in results.

jura2 Wed 13-Mar-19 12:16:46

And forgot to say, again- that Referendums are by our OWN Sovereign LAWS - advisory. Cameron had to right to announce it as binding- and by-pass OUR Laws in doing so.

mcem Wed 13-Mar-19 12:20:12

jura and "humpty* I agree.
Yvette Cooper shows an element of sense but unfortunately won't replace JC.
Even if in the next GE, Scots were to return SNP to every seat in Scotland, our voice would still be ignored.
Forgive me for being a little sceptical about the principles of democracy.
Statements saying that a 2nd brexit referendum would jeopardise the trust of the electorate are laughable.
After this dishonest fiasco, does anyone in their right mind still have a shred of belief or faith in Westminster or the FPTP system?

muffinthemoo Wed 13-Mar-19 12:24:38

The basic difficulty:

There is no majority, according to polls and parliamentary doings, either in Parliament or the country at large, for any of the three options on the table. (By majority I mean a 51, 52% of those polled)

There is no majority for no deal.

There is no majority for the withdrawal agreement.

There is no majority for remain.

The process is completely deadlocked because at this point there is nothing that can get 'just enough' support behind it.

The Malthouse compromise is a non starter because fundamentally, the discussion keeps losing sight of the fact this is a negotiation. A negotiation between the UK and the EU27 in which the EU27 have said as clearly as possible for some time now that the Malthouse plan is not acceptable to them. It is a non starter. Parliament voting for something that the 27 will not agree to is pointless.

Malthouse relies on a 'technological solution(s)' that no one at all, within government or outwith it, is able to identify. If there was a comprehensive or near comprehensive suite of technologies that would solve the problem of a hard border, we would be aware of it by now. Number plate recognition alone is not going to cut it.

The basic difficulty is that none of the options on the table are considered acceptable to a majority of the polity.

This is a deadlock that no one at present appears willing or able to articulate a method of breaking, and without being able to break it, the status quo as presently enshrined in UK legislation is that we will exit the EU with no trade agreement on 29 March. This is what will happen if nothing changes; this was already enacted and at this point, there is no Bill to take that off the table.

jura2 Wed 13-Mar-19 12:25:42

Dominic Grieve understands this totally.

www.facebook.com/777832385/videos/10157278128582386/

Granny23 Wed 13-Mar-19 12:29:16

bellacaledonia.org.uk/2019/03/12/everything-has-changed/?fbclid=IwAR0QlSxAj_aPTO7Z-jtNczVJzBPcJ_qLhjsTABO0ZRxbUj25yGFRvCYTE6o

This from my Facebook feed this am.

Another take on the situation which resonates with around 50% of those living in Scotland.

Anja Wed 13-Mar-19 12:38:59

Theresa May misread the country when she called the last election and slashed her majority. Because of that she has sold her soul to the DUP.

She has spent more time talking with the DUP than any of the other parties, which cannot be right.

After that disastrous result in the election, she ought to have called for cross-party talks, for the good of the country. Then at least a deal could have been worled out that all but the hard-line Brexiteers could have supported.

I was talking about the option to stay in the Customs Union with a ‘leaver’ at the weekend and he seemed to have this all muddled up with the Single Market. Labour would support a deal that included a Customs Union.

It seems that TM is a singularly stubborn woman who confuses ‘strong leadership’ with pigheadedness and the ‘good of the country’ with the ‘good of the Conservative Party’.

123coco Wed 13-Mar-19 12:50:18

lazygirl. Hear hear something that leavers tend to forget all the time !!!!

123coco Wed 13-Mar-19 12:51:55

maryeliza54. Exactly. You summed it up perfectly Cant see why leavers can’t see this !!

123coco Wed 13-Mar-19 12:59:56

I’ve never known anything that divided the country as much is this in my life time ! David Cameron should be shot , after the Tory party of course , as it’s always been about an internal EU problem with them . When we get to stay , and we will , let’s hope this is put to bed for good ! Jacob Rees Mogg can then Bring his millions back from the Safehaven he moved them to. As if !

123coco Wed 13-Mar-19 13:01:37

mcem. Oh so right. Nice to hear some intelligent responses from people like you

Jane10 Wed 13-Mar-19 13:08:13

I now understand why Theresa May called that general election. It was an attempt to get her party to agree within itself. That backfired. She obviously could see this ridiculous impasse happening and the GE was an attempt to avert it.
I'm so cross now that there's a good chance I'd vote brexit if given the opportunity again which I sincerely hope I won't be - another referendum would result in another dogs breakfast.
I want to see some decisiveness.

andycameron69 Wed 13-Mar-19 13:43:10

well I am pleased the majority of voters voted leave in our democratic country, That will be respected and carried out.

On we go to WTO deal, the only true Brexit that was voted for.

Exciting good times coming as we flourish

paddyann Wed 13-Mar-19 14:03:57

Andy ,you really need to take your medication !!

andycameron69 Wed 13-Mar-19 14:06:35

thank you

Wobbles Wed 13-Mar-19 14:25:24

A question which keeps going round in mind is - Westminster has numerous Cross Party committees. Why wasn't one set up to deal with Brexit and its issues to decide what is best for the Country as a proper committee would.

Jane10 Wed 13-Mar-19 15:27:03

Gosh yes Wobbles. This is a national emergency. There should be cross party liaison for the good of the country. I remember that coming up on these forums months ago!
Us Grans should be in power!

humptydumpty Wed 13-Mar-19 15:29:59

Another point - MPs can vote (at least) twice on TM's deal, but it is somehow undemocratic to have a second referendum?

MargaretX Wed 13-Mar-19 15:58:29

Countries which have better referenda have a Referendum in which the % is measured from the whole population of voting age. And of that number 60% must have voted to win.
According to this the Referendum which started this whole miserable situation would not have got off the ground.

It is Cameron's fault!

Not only the Uk will suffer but many EU countries will also suffer and they have long memories. The UK's good name has been damaged.

Lazigirl Wed 13-Mar-19 16:17:07

Perhaps if this country had a written constitution these problems with the referendum would not have arisen. We need some checks and balances when we have an incompetent government.

winterwhite Wed 13-Mar-19 16:27:16

If TM stays, which does seem extraordinary, I think she should remind the country that the referendum was advisory, remind leavers that their margin of victory was tiny and the voices of remain voters must be listened to, and remind remainers that the leave vote was first past the post and the wishes of those voters must be given full weight. Then as has been said by many, set up a true cross party working group, on which she has no seat herself, to report conclusively within 9 months. Something like that, but certainly dial down the Leave expectations of having everything their own way.

maryeliza54 Wed 13-Mar-19 16:31:12

There is a select committee called Exiting the EU with cross party membership but I guess it’s remit isn’t sufficient - what was needed was a coalition cabinet but sadly that boat has long sailed

winterwhite Wed 13-Mar-19 16:32:12

Something puzzles me that maybe Leave grans can help with, since we hear that the implications were well understood. What did you understand would be the position re the Irish border? How did that unravel like this?