Gransnet forums

News & politics

Another atrocity !!

(48 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Mon 18-Mar-19 11:35:54

Reading breaking news www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/utrecht-shooting-live-latest-after-gunman-opens-fire-on-tram-in-dutch-city/ar-BBUUBOo?ocid=spartanntp

The world has gone mad !!

NanaandGrampy Mon 18-Mar-19 21:41:24

Does it truly matter what ‘type’ of atrocity it is MaryEliza ? That was my point - mans inhumanity to man is beyond the understanding of the general population .

I don’t care why it was done as much as I care that it WAS done and these type of acts are becoming either more frequent and widespread or the technology we now have makes the reporting more widespread.

What others posted - their beliefs, assumptions are just that - theirs.

maryeliza54 Mon 18-Mar-19 21:35:01

And I’m proud to stand up against racism

maryeliza54 Mon 18-Mar-19 21:32:33

The racist post has been deleted. It was racis. Full stop. I still maintain that starting this thread in the aftermath of CC was not helpful when we didn’t, and still don’t, know what type of ‘atrocity’ it is. It gave encouragement in the context of CC, to which some posters immediately linked it, to post smears, lies and half truths about refugees and asylum speakers.

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Mar-19 19:58:05

This thread is about the shootings in Utrecht Libbyw; there is another thread about the New Zealand atrocity where people have expressed their sorrow and their solidarity with the people of New Zealand wherever they are from.

This, too, is horrific but it does not seem to be terrorist related as far as we know so far.

EllanVannin Mon 18-Mar-19 19:57:22

Once again, it was Maryeliza who began her rantings re.racism when it hadn't even been mentioned, but I come off worse for standing up to her. Ah well, such is life,eh ?

I even got a caution from GN for standing up for myself !!

Posters say things, then vanish and I'm left to carry the can sad Story of my life.

EllanVannin Mon 18-Mar-19 19:49:48

Humpty Dumpty, the information was online about him attacking a family member.

Libbyw Mon 18-Mar-19 19:49:21

Some of these posts are disturbing. Compassion for a country in mourning is more appropriate. Time to remember the old saying “If you have nothing nice to say then don’t say anything”. We have lost our innocence and are in shock and sorrow. Some of your members are New Zealanders and it is sad to see these comments and especially the spread of misinformation.

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Mar-19 19:47:31

X post N&G and it is a pity that someone has to start an argument - especially when we are discussing some of the horrors we hear of in the world.

EllanVannin Mon 18-Mar-19 19:47:25

There are none worse than the British louts. I've said this for years since at least the early 70's and it's got steadily worse. Open the newspapers and you'll read about stabbings etc, women murdering their babies. They're aggressive if you happen to look at them the wrong way.
I know who I'd choose over these miscreants of ours grannyactivist.

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Mar-19 19:46:19

As the OP was factual, just reporting the news, I do not see why the thread should be deleted.

Before anyone corrects me and accuses me of spreading false information - that is what I think I heard on the news as I had one ear on the news and the other listening to a neighbour who had popped in to borrow something.

NanaandGrampy Mon 18-Mar-19 19:44:07

Actually I started the thread MaryEliza. It’s an atrocity whether it was a family dispute or an act of terrorism , and there was nothing ‘goady’ In my post , a simple reporting of the news which caused me to question mans inhumanity to man .

Jalima1108 Mon 18-Mar-19 19:42:45

I hope we are not letting young white male Australians into the UK any more.
Thank goodness my DGS has a British passport as well then.

I think it was reported on the ITV news that this was not a terrorist attack but a man attacking his partner (or ex-partner) and others were shot trying to intervene.

humptydumpty Mon 18-Mar-19 19:34:13

EV

"As I said, it sounds like a" domestic "that went horribly wrong as the chap seemingly went after a relative and those who intervened on the tram were also shot and injured."

Can you give a source for this? the BBC is quoting the PM as saying it's not clear what the motive was..

grannyactivist Mon 18-Mar-19 19:05:14

RosieLeah I take your point about the laxity regarding gun laws and border controls and agree that we need to find ways, globally, of keeping better records.

However, as the (foster) parent of young male refugees and the friend of some young male asylum seekers it actually hurts me to read posts that single them out as 'suspect' people. The implied threat from a tiny minority really should not prejudice us against whole people groups who have possibly endured horrors far worse than you or I would wish to imagine.

One of my asylum seeker friends is living in a hostel filled with British men and he is terrified by their behaviour. He has observed first-hand, in London; shootings, stabbings, police helicopter chases, street brawls, drunkenness and drug taking. He once called the police when he saw an attack occurring and subsequently had to be moved, under police protection, to another hostel for fear of reprisals. This is a young man who has suffered torture and seen his father and siblings killed in front of him. He knows that the people he is living among don't represent the majority of the British public, I just wish that others would afford him the same courtesy.

EllanVannin Mon 18-Mar-19 18:39:03

As I said, it sounds like a" domestic "that went horribly wrong as the chap seemingly went after a relative and those who intervened on the tram were also shot and injured. Apart from that, nobody appears interested.

There was nothing " goady " about the thread, it's only how you prefer to see it/interpret as such.
I showed interest because we have a friend in Amsterdam and I know she travels on a direct route to Utrecht on her way to work.

maryeliza54 Mon 18-Mar-19 18:24:52

It’s a pity that the word racist/racism has to be used on GN but what I do resist is ignoring such posts -at least I’ve got the guts to challenge such posts as Rosies above wI th its lies, smears and half truths. And I’ll say again starting this thread was goady and disrespectful in the circumstances of CC and given that the facts are not yet known

EllanVannin Mon 18-Mar-19 18:19:52

Yes, abrasive, acerbic, call them what you like, you can't resist the " R " word it seems.

maryeliza54 Mon 18-Mar-19 18:14:31

My saying it how it is posts you mean?

EllanVannin Mon 18-Mar-19 18:11:38

It would help if you address the person you speak of in your abrasive posts !

maryeliza54 Mon 18-Mar-19 17:57:13

It’s Rosie s post I’m referring to but starting this thread was goady to say the least and please go ahead and report me - I’d like the whole thread deleted quite frankly - it’s disgusting

EllanVannin Mon 18-Mar-19 17:54:59

Any more of your accusations maryliza and I'll report you.!!

EllanVannin Mon 18-Mar-19 17:52:20

TerriBull I don't think it was terror-related. It seems he was arguing with a family member and when others joined in he shot at them. All the same, he shouldn't have been carrying a gun.

maryeliza54 Mon 18-Mar-19 17:42:36

Oh goodness we won’t wait for the full story - facts getting in the way of venting racist posts- whatever next.

EllanVannin Mon 18-Mar-19 17:33:35

I don't know TerriBull.

TerriBull Mon 18-Mar-19 17:30:48

Not sure whether this is a terror related incident, allegedly a family dispute where members of the public who tried to intervene got involved. No doubt the full story will come out in due course.