Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn's long game - driving journalists crazy- and you?

(258 Posts)
jura2 Mon 18-Mar-19 11:55:08

Certainly me- same with his close acolytes- never ever answering a direct question:

news.sky.com/video/share-11668308?fbclid=IwAR3pTX4HLh5lBMtW5RcJlHzr1lb9_vbZfvib1NDK2Oa5CGxy-8mO_ZxgyI0

What about you? He is still going on about being able to quickly negotiate a Norway style deal without any of the strings and responsibilities attached.

jura2 Sun 28-Jul-19 14:46:37

This thread is NOT about anti-semitism lemon- please.

Anniebach Sun 28-Jul-19 14:52:30

Are centre left posters allowed to post ? Or only the far left ?

jura2 Sun 28-Jul-19 14:54:59

Anyone can post, you know that - and I am certainly NOT far left. This thread is very specific and not about anti-semitism.

Anniebach Sun 28-Jul-19 14:59:07

Can the present Labour Party and anti semetism be seperated ?

jura2 Sun 28-Jul-19 15:13:05

Yes, in the OP's context. Thanks.

POGS Sun 28-Jul-19 15:19:46

Is Labour a Party of REMAIN or LEAVE.?

On one hand Corbyn has stated if there were a 2nd Refendum Labour will campaign to REMAIN.

BUT. If Labour were in power it would negotiate a DEAL and LEAVE.

The codswallop of the manta Labour wants to protect jobs, Workers Rights and the environment hence would not sign the UK/EU Withdrawal Agreement was seen for the sham it has always been to get a General Election.

Theresa May offered Labour concessions after talks , knowing it was political suicide and her job, the following 10 point concessions :-

The commitments would be guaranteed in law and include:

1. A legal commitment to conclude alternative arrangements to replace the Northern Ireland backstop by December 2020, so it never needs to be used

2. A commitment that, should the backstop come into force, the Government will ensure that Great Britain's border rules stay aligned with Northern Ireland.

3. Negotiating objectives and final treaties for the UK's future relationship with the EU will have to be approved by MP's.

4. A new Workers' Rights Bill offering protections at least as favourable as those in the EU.

5. No change in the level of environmental protection when the UK leaves the EU.

6. As close to frictionless trade with the EU as is possible once the UK has left the single market but an end to free movement of people.

7. A commitment to align the UK with EU rules for goods and products to protect thousands of jobs dependent on just-in-time supply chains.

8. A commitment to allow MPs to decide on future customs arrangements with the EU.

9. A vote for MPs on whether the deal should be subject to a Referendum.

10.A legal duty to secure changes to the current political declaration agreed with Brussels to reflect the new deal.

Labour achieved what it asked for and Theresa May gave concessions but Labour were out of the stalls still relying on the tired old mantra of the workers rights, environment angle, as they are to date.

Getting a Deal has become harder without passing the UK/EU Withdrawal Agreement but that does not faize Labour as they still think a General Election, their sole aim is in sight.

They could be right now Boris Johnson is Leader of the Tories but they have played a political game and 3 years of flip flop from the likes of Corbyn/Keir Starmer/ Barry Gardiner down the electorate still do not know if Labour is a party of REMAIN or LEAVE

POGS Sun 28-Jul-19 15:23:54

Jura

"Anyone can post, you know that - and I am certainly NOT far left. This thread is very specific and not about anti-semitism."
-

Many threads are specific but you yourself deviate from the OP, it happens.

jura2 Sun 28-Jul-19 16:01:39

yes it does, and yes I do. But it is not helpful to just shout 'anti-semitism' anytime the LP is mentionned. So this is a polite request to stick to Corbyn's current position on Brexit. Thanks.

Anniebach Sun 28-Jul-19 16:14:14

How can his current position on Brexit be discussed ? He hasn’t decided

Grandad1943 Sun 28-Jul-19 16:15:47

jura2 Quote [ Of course it is Grandad 'Oh, this crisis is nothing to do with the Tory Party whatsoever. grin

Excuses.....Excuses......Excuses, as usual from the right wing on the forum.' End Quote.

jura2, what you quote above was stated by me in an alternative thread today. I have not gone back through previous posts in this thread, but I feel sure I have not made a post here for a least two weeks.

jura2 Sun 28-Jul-19 16:16:51

Yes, you are correct.

POGS Sun 28-Jul-19 18:10:55

So is Labour a LEAVE or REMAIN Party as of today?

Has there been a concrete answer with a General Election looming?

Anniebach Sun 28-Jul-19 18:16:35

They will vote against ‘no deal’, that’s as far as they have reached.

Corbyn wants out so he isn’t going to fight for remain.

jura2 Sun 28-Jul-19 18:30:55

Grandad- your wisdom is required here

Anniebach Sun 28-Jul-19 18:45:11

Not by all

jura2 Fri 09-Aug-19 09:42:24

and what now?

Grany Fri 09-Aug-19 13:56:04

The Prime Minister should have the confidence to put their deal, or No Deal, back to the people in a public vote.

In those circumstances, I want to make it clear that Labour would campaign for Remain against either No Deal or a Tory deal that does not protect the economy and jobs.

Anniebach Fri 09-Aug-19 14:11:41

But labour does not want a people’s vote and Corbyn is not a supporter of remain

jura2 Fri 09-Aug-19 14:41:15

Grany: '... a Tory deal that does not protect the economy and jobs.'

such a deal is just not possible - that has been made clear again and again, and it totally makes sense. It is not the EU being 'difficult' or 'intransigeant' - it is just plain common sense that no country can ask for all the advantages, but none of the responsibilities.

jura2 Fri 09-Aug-19 14:47:31

... and without the backstop or proper arrangements for the EU/Irish border and UK/NI border- that protects EU countries' interests fairly, and respect the Good Friday Agreement.

It doesn't matter it Mrs May asks, or Johnson or Corbyn - it just can't and won't happen.

POGS Fri 09-Aug-19 20:38:08

Grany

Grany Fri 09-Aug-19 13:56:04

"In those circumstances, I want to make it clear that Labour would campaign for Remain against either No Deal or a Tory deal that does not protect the economy and jobs."
----

Corbyn has said in a 2nd Refendum / Peoples Vote Labour would campaign to ' Remain', agreed.

BUT

Corbyn says if Labour won a General ection Labour would negotitiate a better deal than the Conservatives.

Hence the question that is simple.

Is Labour a Party of Remain or Leave????

jura2 Fri 09-Aug-19 21:10:09

yep THAT is the question- some are, some are not and everything in between. It's a mystery sad

POGS Wed 14-Aug-19 12:00:11

Anybody!

Is Labour a LEAVE or REMAIN Party?

Anniebach Wed 14-Aug-19 12:08:37

They haven’t decided,

jura2 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:05:06

I think most of them have decided, Jeremy as not sad and McCluskey is pulling the strings anyhow.