Gransnet forums

News & politics

No repeat Brexit vote this week?

(31 Posts)
humptydumpty Mon 18-Mar-19 16:14:33

This breaking news has just appeared on the BBC:

John Bercow has ruled out another vote on the government's previously rejected Brexit agreement if the motion remains "substantially the same".

humptydumpty Mon 18-Mar-19 16:17:42

Ahead of suggestions that this should also apply to a second referendum - the whole point of that is that it would not be the same as the last one!

lemongrove Mon 18-Mar-19 16:23:48

Oh yes it would! grin

There now needs to be something different added to the deal, so the EU will need to do that ( if they want a deal to go through) so that Parliament can vote again for it.
The EU always say they can’t ‘give any more’ but in the end, if they don’t want us to simply leave this month, they will
Have to.

lemongrove Mon 18-Mar-19 16:25:53

Either that or a longer delay, so that our useless MP’s can thrash something out.

humptydumpty Mon 18-Mar-19 16:27:07

No, lemongrove, it would not be the same: instead of a simplistic in/out vote, we could, for example, be asked to choose between TM's deal or remaining, to describe just one scenario.

I see no reason why the EU should feel obliged to come up with something new - we were the ones who asked to leave so the ball is in our court.

humptydumpty Mon 18-Mar-19 16:28:54

I think we need a reason to ask for a delay, so if TM can't get her deal through, a longer delay could be justified on the grounds of a second vote or a GE, or another (cross-party) approach to negotiations.

RosieLeah Mon 18-Mar-19 16:28:56

That's good news. What we need to do now is either leave as planned with no deal...or delay, push Mrs May aside, get together and thrash out a deal which best benefits the UK, not the EU.

Gonegirl Mon 18-Mar-19 16:37:46

Well that's a bit disappointing. I do like these "meaningful" votes. smile

humptydumpty Mon 18-Mar-19 16:41:52

Yes, me too, because they're so 'meaningful'!

RosieLeah Mon 18-Mar-19 16:42:11

I have been enjoying the drama in the House of Commons, and seeing Mrs May's face when she didn't get the result she wanted. It's interesting to hear what journalists are saying about her.

MaizieD Mon 18-Mar-19 17:15:48

Well!

21 month extension with a GE or PV, or, crash out in 12 day's time with no deal?

jura2 Mon 18-Mar-19 19:15:37

Absolute madness

Luckygirl Mon 18-Mar-19 20:58:43

I have been puzzled for the last week as to how it is possible to put the same motion to the house over and over again. It would seem it is not possible. That does make logical sense as a principle, whatever the motion. There must be some rule that says the same motion cannot be put within a certain time frame.

Not taking Brexit sides here, but it is a bit sickening for the House to be asked the same thing again, while in between parties are being bribed to vote as PM wants. That cannot be democracy nor anything remotely near it.

jura2 Mon 18-Mar-19 21:21:13

Indeed Lucky, how right you are.

mcem Mon 18-Mar-19 22:05:59

I liked the comment that it has been a very rare event for the Speaker to rule out the introduction of a motion/ debate/vote on the grounds that it's substantially the same as one which has previously been debated. I think it's something like 5 times since 1604.
Shortly after the ruling in 1604 there was the Gunpowder Plot.
Bring it on!

Lazigirl Mon 18-Mar-19 22:06:47

Yes, I agree this bizarre situation unfolding each day failed the democracy test some time ago. I feel for those who jobs and livelihood depend on having some idea of what sort of terms we will leave on.........or not. However entertaining the drama may be for some of us, the outcome may be devastating for many.

Luckygirl Mon 18-Mar-19 22:19:21

There is nothing entertaining about this - it is disgraceful how this issue is being dealt with politically. Bribery and chicanery - which seem to be playing out in full view, with no attempt to pretend otherwise.

How can we be a part of organisations monitoring elections in dubious, and supposedly less civilised, democracies when this is playing out here? It feels totally sickening.

mcem Mon 18-Mar-19 22:24:54

Yes indeed Lucky
It's months since I said that a different country faced with the facts we've seen on deception, lies and bribery, would be facing international charges of corruption and would have the vote overturned and rerun!

mcem Mon 18-Mar-19 22:28:00

Ps my post was less about "entertainment" and more of a plea for a reincarnated gang led by Catesby and Fawkes!

Davidhs Tue 19-Mar-19 06:52:10

Bercow certainly knows how to throw a spanner into the works, now it all depends what the EU can agree for an extension. That may not be easy because it needs to be unanimous and agreeing at all is not a given.

So is TMs deal really dead, or will it be resurrected at 11pm on the 28th.

Sophiesox Tue 19-Mar-19 07:05:41

Apparently, MPs may be asked to vote on whether this 400 year old rule should be ‘set aside’(ignored). Can’t say I’m surprised since they’re disregarding old rules and making up new ones as they go along anyway!

Grandad1943 Tue 19-Mar-19 07:12:28

This government is, without doubt, the worst administration this country has had since the collapse of the Chamberlin led Tory government in nineteen forty.

That too left Britain totally unprepared for events that took place in Europe.

crystaltipps Tue 19-Mar-19 07:12:31

The PM could prorogue Parliament and call another session and present her deal again in another session, where it will probably fail. A lengthy extension seems to be another option. Whatever happens the constitutional crisis deepens, this government is throwing money down a black hole, important domestic issues are being ignored.

Anja Tue 19-Mar-19 07:18:35

In crushing the life out of debate by using the clock, in using no-deal or no-Brexit as lethal weapons, the prime minister has caused a constitutional crisis not seen in our lifetimes. Bercow is right to seize back sovereignty for the Commons against the abuse of power by May and her chaotic government.

Anja Tue 19-Mar-19 07:31:11

If we can get a long extension then that lends the possibility of all sorts of change, not least a change of ‘leadership’.