Gransnet forums

News & politics

No repeat Brexit vote this week?

(32 Posts)
humptydumpty Mon 18-Mar-19 16:14:33

This breaking news has just appeared on the BBC:

John Bercow has ruled out another vote on the government's previously rejected Brexit agreement if the motion remains "substantially the same".

Ginny42 Tue 19-Mar-19 09:11:14

Well done Bercow for bringing the House to order in an example of how sovereignty works. Surely someone in TM's entourage should have known this was going to happen. You might have expected someone on the Labour benches to have known this too.

May was blatantly attempting to force the House to accept her deal and creating a crisis in full view of the viewing public. Her aides allowed her to make a fool of herself.

Erskine May is currently in charge of Brexit. No relation apparently.

Fennel Tue 19-Mar-19 09:29:12

I thought she had re-hashed the deal for this attempt?
I must have got it wrong.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 19-Mar-19 09:46:29

Oh! What a tangled web we weave when once we practise to leave.

Grandad1943 Tue 19-Mar-19 09:52:41

Ginny42, Quote [ Well done Bercow for bringing the House to order in an example of how sovereignty works. Surely someone in TM's entourage should have known this was going to happen. You might have expected someone on the Labour benches to have known this too.]End Quote

Ginny42, I would totally agree with almost all of your above post except for the last sentence. In that, there were undoubtedly MPs on the Labour benches that did realise what Theresa May was doing was an abuse of the House of Commons rules.

However, that would have made little difference as May, and the rest of the Numties in this useless government are totally responsible for this Brexit debacle and have been at every stage since 2016.

It's the Tories that have brought us all to the crisis situation we are in now, and the Labour party have not been able to change that as they are not the government.

Anyway in the office now, so better get my head down. Look forward to posting again later on this subject.

Davidhs Tue 19-Mar-19 16:51:33

Of course it’s easy to blame the Tories for the mess we are now in but it goes back further than that. If Milliband had made a decent showing at the 2015 election Cameron would not have been elected AND if Corbyn had actually made some effort in the next one it would have been all sorted long ago
As it is we have had a totally impotent opposition for the last 8 yrs and it has taken Bercow to shake TMs confidence and he’s supposed to be independent.

andycameron69 Tue 19-Mar-19 17:06:14

I am going to have some meaningful Budweisers later

grin

roll on WTO no Deal.