Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May must go

(111 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 19-Mar-19 09:30:43

Corby! - sounds like on of the queen's dogs!

Luckygirl Tue 19-Mar-19 09:30:12

....unfinished first sentence - dear me. I was trying to say that a cross-party approach would have been the right one.

Luckygirl Tue 19-Mar-19 09:29:09

Whatever one might think of Polly T, her observation that the interests of the country would have been better served by a cross-party approach to this very serious issue. Instead we have this unedifying bun fight.

May got it all wrong from the start - her main cincern has been retaining power for her party; and showing her hand right at the beginning of the negotiations by setting a date for triggering Article 50, was a crass error.

And as for poor Corby - he is really out of his depth. Now, I presume that he wanted the motion to be defeated if the third presentation had happened; but his response was to suggest that if it was defeated again he would be calling for a GE. Now come along Jeremy....is that going to make the rebel Tories more, or less, likely to support the motion? Dear me.

EllanVannin Tue 19-Mar-19 09:27:54

Who do we have in her place ?

Teetime Tue 19-Mar-19 09:23:58

I agree POGS - the lady will go but in her own sweet time rather than in the interests of the country.

POGS Tue 19-Mar-19 09:21:17

" The country fell into the hands of someone only capable of making a very bad situation infinitely worse."
-----

Toynbee once thought Corbyn was the wrong leader and that sentence would not have been out of place when she spoke of Corbyn back in 2015/2016. Like most commentators they can swivel on a pin head to make the story fit ' their ' own personal agenda.

Toynbee would always be saying Theresa May should go.

When talking of Unicorns it would be wise not to put forward an argument that is equally full of Unicorns as is the case in believing a national council, a Speaker’s conference or a commission of all parties and interests, with citizen’s assemblies to lay out what was actually possible would have been a way forward.

kittylester Tue 19-Mar-19 08:29:16

Good post,*soda*.

I despair!

sodapop Tue 19-Mar-19 08:27:52

Where will we find this super being who is wise, clever, empathetic and perceptive. Definitely not working as an MP.
I agree with Wobbles a cross party commission would be the way to go but given the present mob they wouldn't even be able to decide where to sit.

eazybee Tue 19-Mar-19 08:20:20

Yes; Theresa May should go; she is achieving nothing and dragging the country into into a mire of her own making.

But so should Polly Tonybee, well past her sell-by date, who never uses two words where she can use twenty, and can't even review the papers on Andrew Marr without immediately contradicting the other presenters.
Her proposals: 'A national council, a Speaker’s conference or a commission of all parties and interests, with citizen’s assemblies to lay out what was possible.'

Simply a talking shop that would never even agree to form a committee; her comments remind me of Dame Mary Warnock criticising Margaret Thatcher's dress sense; ill-judged, lacking personal expertise and completely irrelevant.

Wobbles Tue 19-Mar-19 07:44:48

A brilliant quote. She decimated the Police Service when she was Home Secretary. I will never understand why a cross party commission wasn't set up to deal with Brexit and its issues.

Anja Tue 19-Mar-19 07:36:39

How long must we put up with this blithering incompetent?

Poly Toynbee summed up her lack of ability and vision in this quote

“How different all this might have been under a wiser, cleverer, more empathic and perceptive leader. She could have reached out from her first day to try to heal the great gash in the country caused by David Cameron’s reckless referendum. Imagine if she had called a national council, a Speaker’s conference or a commission of all parties and interests, with citizen’s assemblies to lay out what was actually possible and what was fantastical nonsense in ways forward. But that is a unicorn wish: she is what she is. The country fell into the hands of someone only capable of making a very bad situation infinitely worse.”