Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May must go

(111 Posts)
Anja Tue 19-Mar-19 07:36:39

How long must we put up with this blithering incompetent?

Poly Toynbee summed up her lack of ability and vision in this quote

“How different all this might have been under a wiser, cleverer, more empathic and perceptive leader. She could have reached out from her first day to try to heal the great gash in the country caused by David Cameron’s reckless referendum. Imagine if she had called a national council, a Speaker’s conference or a commission of all parties and interests, with citizen’s assemblies to lay out what was actually possible and what was fantastical nonsense in ways forward. But that is a unicorn wish: she is what she is. The country fell into the hands of someone only capable of making a very bad situation infinitely worse.”

Wobbles Tue 19-Mar-19 07:44:48

A brilliant quote. She decimated the Police Service when she was Home Secretary. I will never understand why a cross party commission wasn't set up to deal with Brexit and its issues.

eazybee Tue 19-Mar-19 08:20:20

Yes; Theresa May should go; she is achieving nothing and dragging the country into into a mire of her own making.

But so should Polly Tonybee, well past her sell-by date, who never uses two words where she can use twenty, and can't even review the papers on Andrew Marr without immediately contradicting the other presenters.
Her proposals: 'A national council, a Speaker’s conference or a commission of all parties and interests, with citizen’s assemblies to lay out what was possible.'

Simply a talking shop that would never even agree to form a committee; her comments remind me of Dame Mary Warnock criticising Margaret Thatcher's dress sense; ill-judged, lacking personal expertise and completely irrelevant.

sodapop Tue 19-Mar-19 08:27:52

Where will we find this super being who is wise, clever, empathetic and perceptive. Definitely not working as an MP.
I agree with Wobbles a cross party commission would be the way to go but given the present mob they wouldn't even be able to decide where to sit.

kittylester Tue 19-Mar-19 08:29:16

Good post,*soda*.

I despair!

POGS Tue 19-Mar-19 09:21:17

" The country fell into the hands of someone only capable of making a very bad situation infinitely worse."
-----

Toynbee once thought Corbyn was the wrong leader and that sentence would not have been out of place when she spoke of Corbyn back in 2015/2016. Like most commentators they can swivel on a pin head to make the story fit ' their ' own personal agenda.

Toynbee would always be saying Theresa May should go.

When talking of Unicorns it would be wise not to put forward an argument that is equally full of Unicorns as is the case in believing a national council, a Speaker’s conference or a commission of all parties and interests, with citizen’s assemblies to lay out what was actually possible would have been a way forward.

Teetime Tue 19-Mar-19 09:23:58

I agree POGS - the lady will go but in her own sweet time rather than in the interests of the country.

EllanVannin Tue 19-Mar-19 09:27:54

Who do we have in her place ?

Luckygirl Tue 19-Mar-19 09:29:09

Whatever one might think of Polly T, her observation that the interests of the country would have been better served by a cross-party approach to this very serious issue. Instead we have this unedifying bun fight.

May got it all wrong from the start - her main cincern has been retaining power for her party; and showing her hand right at the beginning of the negotiations by setting a date for triggering Article 50, was a crass error.

And as for poor Corby - he is really out of his depth. Now, I presume that he wanted the motion to be defeated if the third presentation had happened; but his response was to suggest that if it was defeated again he would be calling for a GE. Now come along Jeremy....is that going to make the rebel Tories more, or less, likely to support the motion? Dear me.

Luckygirl Tue 19-Mar-19 09:30:12

....unfinished first sentence - dear me. I was trying to say that a cross-party approach would have been the right one.

Luckygirl Tue 19-Mar-19 09:30:43

Corby! - sounds like on of the queen's dogs!

Anja Tue 19-Mar-19 09:31:13

EV now there’s the kind of black sky thinking that got us into this mess in the first place.

Nicenanny3 Tue 19-Mar-19 09:36:39

Yes she must go but unfortunately she won't she's so pigheaded, she's survived one attempt to get rid of her. I think she is the worst Prime Minister ever, I can't stand listening to her anymore she just tells one lie after the other how many times did she say we would leave on the 29th March, no deal was better than a bad deal and now she's pushing her bad deal. She's a serial liar ? someone please get rid of her or the Conservative Party is finished.

EllanVannin Tue 19-Mar-19 09:37:40

Straightforward question which I expect a straightforward answer to, or have you got the same problem as all politicians have by never giving a straight answer, Anja ?

Davidhs Tue 19-Mar-19 09:46:47

She’s tenacious so if it is a short extension she will want to stay and nobody will change her mind on that. However a 2yr extension is a different matter, although, who would want the poisoned chalice if she did resign and would it make any difference.

MaizieD Tue 19-Mar-19 09:54:41

and can't even review the papers on Andrew Marr without immediately contradicting the other presenters.

Sorry, eazybee but I don't quite understand why she has to agree with all the other presenters.

who never uses two words where she can use twenty,

I think she does that because she expects her readers to be bright enough to understand more than just two or three word slogans and soundbites.

And I can't for the life of me understand what 'past her sell by date' is meant to mean? Are you suggesting that once people get to a certain age they have no business to be voicing their opinions or analysing situations? In which case, what are we all doing on Gnet? Is it an 'oldies' enclave where we can say what we think without annoying younger generations with our 'past their sell by date' thoughts?

POGS Tue 19-Mar-19 10:09:11

Maizie d

" And I can't for the life of me understand what 'past her sell by date' is meant to mean? Are you suggesting that once people get to a certain age they have no business to be voicing their opinions or analysing situations? "
-

You mean like Polly Toynbee suggests exactly that !

Even when she tweets , let alone the articles she has written on the subject, she suggests once people get to a certain age they have no business to be voicing their opinions or analysing situations? " !

Who remembers her tweet:-

' What was 'the will of people' is now 'the will of dead people'. From Saturday, new young remain voters on register tip the balance v old dead leavers. Time for a Final Say Referendum. '

MaizieD Tue 19-Mar-19 10:17:05

Good God, POGS. I always thought you were one for logic but this is not logical.

What was 'the will of people' is now 'the will of dead people'.

There is nothing in that tweet which says that older people's thoughts, opinions etc. have no validity.

Gonegirl Tue 19-Mar-19 10:18:13

Exactly what EV said. And the good question she put to OP.

Gonegirl Tue 19-Mar-19 10:20:07

TM has done the best possible. How can it make a difference who actually talks to EU up front? It's all done by lackeys behind the scenes.

Gonegirl Tue 19-Mar-19 10:21:29

It might be "black sky thinking" (new one on me!) but it still needs an answer.

POGS Tue 19-Mar-19 10:50:21

Maizie d

"Good God, POGS. I always thought you were one for logic but this is not logical."
--

My point is not only based on logic but fact.

Toynbee like many Remain commentators, journalists, activists and a great many GN Remain posters have said the older generation basically had ' no right ' to make a decision on the UK's future with the EU as it was not their future but the generations that followed.

That is the thought process behind Toynbee's ageist / crass tweet and I don't think Toynbee would deny it if questioned . I have heard , read and watched Polly Toynbee being interviewed so many times over the years there is no grey area over her stance on the subject.

" What was 'the will of people' is now ' the will of dead people '. From Saturday, new young remain voters on register tip the balance v old dead leavers. Time for a Final Say Referendum. '

It spoke volumes!

spabbygirl Tue 19-Mar-19 11:00:53

TM is a blithering idiot, I describe her as an over promoted town hall official. I don't see anyone else in the party as having the charisma or vision so goodness knows who will come next. One Tory is the same as another I reckon.
Corbyn will be a great leader, perfect to sort out the mess Neo-liberalism has left this country in. Mexico's new president has vowed to abolish free market politics that have been 'a calamity' for the country.

lemongrove Tue 19-Mar-19 11:16:03

Surely you jest Spabbygirl grin

POGS Tue 19-Mar-19 11:35:23

spabbygirl

" Corbyn will be a great leader, perfect to sort out the mess "

How?