Gransnet forums

News & politics

The DUP- one country (except when it isn't)

(46 Posts)
trisher Tue 19-Mar-19 19:37:40

The DUP has voted for cuts which will see free school meals removed from families on universal credit in England, but the income level is higher in N. Ireland so meals will remain there. Is this fair or just? They keep on about one country but apparently only when it suits.

jura2 Tue 19-Mar-19 19:42:14

indeed

annep1 Tue 19-Mar-19 19:51:21

Trisher I am a British citizen in Northern Ireland. This is totally wrong. I am ashamed of the DUP.

trisher Tue 19-Mar-19 20:38:30

Thanks annepl it is good to know that the politicians may be without principles but ordinary people still have them.

EllanVannin Tue 19-Mar-19 21:13:01

These so-called politicians are definitely from planet Zog.

They have no idea whatsoever that those who are on Universal credit are on it because they can't manage ! So removing free school meals from these people is nothing short of cruel when it could be the only meal a child has each day ! It's dreadful.

annep1 Tue 19-Mar-19 22:01:13

I will be interested to hear what my MP has to say as I will write to him tomorrow. He already knows what I think of UC and the stress it causes claimants.

Urmstongran Tue 19-Mar-19 22:43:36

I can’t be the only voter who has become much more engaged politically since Brexit and now is astonished by the duplicity of our MP’s.

I think many of us are now following events in general much more closely.

Ginny42 Wed 20-Mar-19 05:48:09

The DUP should not be permitted to vote on issues affecting England and Wales only. The one cited by the OP is a shock - free school meals taken from the poorest children.

Don't SNP MPs have to refrain from voting on issues which apply to England and Wales only?

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Mar-19 07:23:25

Well Ginny as the SNP are left wing, we make sure they can’t vote on English only matters but as the DUP are right wing, not only is it absolutely fine for them to vote on matters like this that don’t affect them, but we throw vast amounts at money at them to buy tbeir support and allow them to hold us all to ransom. Nasty nasty bigoted misogynistic religious bigots

crystaltipps Wed 20-Mar-19 07:39:43

The DUP have mucked up their own Parliament so get to muck up everyone else’s.

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Mar-19 07:47:20

It’s utterly astonishing isn’t it how they ‘speak’ for NI and we allow them to. May’s dirty deal with them will eventually go down in history as one of the most sordid aspects of this whole sorry fiasco.

Anja Wed 20-Mar-19 07:52:08

Yes, it is a very Dirty Deal. Our PM couldn’t see beyond her own future when she effectively ‘lost’ the GE by losing her majority.

POGS Wed 20-Mar-19 09:36:28

trisher

"The DUP has voted for cuts which will see free school meals removed from families on universal credit"
----
Have you not made a sweeping statement?

This a bit of a long read but I think does give balance to the OP and for the reader to make a conclusion.

fullfact.org/education/free-school-meals-and-universal-credit/

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43661817

'Free school meals are changing but will children lose out?'.

Just putting a

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Mar-19 09:59:54

POGS my understanding was that the OP was about the fact that the income levels for free meals are more generous in NI and that therefore it was plainly wrong for the DUP to vote on legislation that does not affect them negatively

POGS Wed 20-Mar-19 10:13:03

maryeliza

" Well Ginny as the SNP are left wing, we make sure they can’t vote on English only matters but as the DUP are right wing, not only is it absolutely fine for them to vote on matters like this that don’t affect them,"
-

Off the top of my head I recollect the SNP voted against the UK government plans to change Sunday trading laws in England and Wales whilst Scotland as a devolved nation makes it's own decision without interference from Englan/Wales or Northern Ireland.

trisher Wed 20-Mar-19 10:33:39

Thanks maryeliza for your correct answer. The point is POGS not that school meals have been removed from poor families (Although I despair of anyone who thinks it is Ok for a rich country to have children who are under nourished) but that the level of benefit in N.Ireland before meals are removed will be higher than the rest of the UK. As I said one country except when it suits.
And the DUP are right wing, have been bought by the Tories and apparently can still do as they wish.
Arguably there are areas of the UK where the cost of living is very high and where these cuts will cause absolute misery for families who are often poorly paid, hard working, and struggling to cope anyway. But hey if you have to kick someone make sure it's people who probably won't kick back.

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Mar-19 10:37:00

Another example trisher where a desperate rush to defend the DUP in all its misogynistic, hypocritical, bigoted, on sale to the highest bidder glory gets in the way of actually trying to understand that they might just might be open to a tiny bit of criticism

trisher Wed 20-Mar-19 10:45:51

There was a post on my Facebook page from someone who works in schools, about dealing with children who haven't eaten anything since their school lunch the day before, and I was cataputed back to when I was teaching, and there was free milk, which we gave out first thing in the morning because many of the kids hadn't had breakfast. And I despaired that we haven't moved on at all.

Ginny42 Wed 20-Mar-19 10:52:58

Look at these figures from the Gov website.

Your child may be eligible for free school meals if:

Northern Ireland:
You receive Universal Credit and your earnings are not over £14,000.

England:
Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get).

It's true families may have other benefits, so it may not be as bleak as it seems, but as a crude measure these figures indicate that the household income to qualify in NI is almost twice that of families in England.

POGS Wed 20-Mar-19 10:53:11

trisher

"The DUP has voted for cuts which will see free school meals removed from families on universal credit in England,"
---

You made a sweeping statement and those posters who will rely on a poster for their information would believe that comment and indeed that happened if you read the posts that followed your OP.

Here is another link for those who are interested :-

www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-labour-arent-telling-the-full-story-about-free-school-meals

As for the point re the DUP I wish ALL of the 4 nations had a truly devolved government if I am being honest. I do not particularly know when and if the Northern Ireland MP's vote as they do and I do not know if the free scholl meals vote was done under EVEL. If it was then I believe the DUP should not vote but that should apply to Scotland and I mentioned the Sunday Trading Laws.

POGS Wed 20-Mar-19 10:58:01

maryeliza

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Mar-19 10:37:00

Another example trisher where a desperate rush to defend the DUP in all its misogynistic, hypocritical, bigoted, on sale to the highest bidder glory gets in the way of actually trying to understand that they might just might be open to a tiny bit of criticism.
----

If you are talking about me have the guts to address me?!

Your problem is you do not like to be challenged nor do you like to debate but you carry on with your ' style' of posting as it only serves to signal to others your short comings which can be seen on many threads.

POGS Wed 20-Mar-19 11:05:13

As for the difference in ' funding ' then if it is a ' principle' for those who want equal funding then make a ' principled' stand and call for an end of the Barnett Formula.!

Or is the Barnett Formula another case of when it suits it is a good thing?

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Mar-19 11:25:12

Oh didums POGS you have cut me to the veritable quick, oh misery, oh sadness, oh heartache, oh sorrow - oh JCGAFF.

trisher Wed 20-Mar-19 11:27:44

POGS are you really saying that you think that child poverty and children who go hungry is OK?
I suggest you go into a school where the children are hungry and speak to them. There is a considerable amount of research to show that brain development is closely linked to proper nutrition and failure to learn is a direct result of not being fed properly.
As for the Barnett Formula even Barnett admits that it. isn't the right solution to the problem
Barnett was to eventually view the formula that he devised as unfair. In The Scotsman in January 2004 he wrote, "It was never meant to last this long, but it has gone on and on and it has become increasingly unfair to the regions of England. I didn't create this formula to give Scotland an advantage over the rest of the country when it comes to public funding.
But good try at distraction!

trisher Wed 20-Mar-19 11:29:26

And I recommend this if you really want to know about child poverty
www.cpag.org.uk/sites/default/files/Free%20School%20Meals%20and%20UC_CPAG%20response%20to%20consultation.pdf