Gransnet forums

News & politics

Even Baldrick had a plan!

(65 Posts)
Anja Wed 20-Mar-19 07:48:38

What on earth is TM planning on taking to the EU now when she asks for an extension? Will they even grant her one?

Does she had a plan or is it more of the same?

Sparklefizz Sat 23-Mar-19 09:48:32

Back in the 70's I voted against joining the common market. However having been in for close to 50 years we can't just leave and go back to where we were then. Our lives and economies are intricately connected in so many ways and the world is now a different place, so I voted remain. Seems I backed the loser both times!

jocork Let us know in advance how you to plan to vote if there's a 2nd one grin

RD001 Sat 23-Mar-19 09:32:31

Google it.

andycameron69 Sat 23-Mar-19 08:48:37

whats STFU mean? btw?
me no understand

andycameron69 Sat 23-Mar-19 08:47:35

adore this thread

out we go, it is in law, no matter how much complaining takes place

party time

empty vessels make the loudest noise.

giggling smiles grin
party time

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Mar-19 23:50:06

John it’s much more complicated than that - there are the three dimensions of country, constituency and party. Additionally we recognise the completely personal dimension when a free vote is allowed on certain issues - especially social ones like abortion or divorce. As for the oath that’s just about allegiance to the Queen so really neither here nor there really

JohnD Fri 22-Mar-19 23:16:53

Never forget that the members are elected to represent their constituants and as most constituancies voted to leave they should fulfil their duties and get the country out on the date enshrined in law - 29th March. Personnel feelings should not be taking over from their duties. They all took an oath on entering Parliament.

jocork Fri 22-Mar-19 22:13:12

Back in the 70's I voted against joining the common market. However having been in for close to 50 years we can't just leave and go back to where we were then. Our lives and economies are intricately connected in so many ways and the world is now a different place, so I voted remain. Seems I backed the loser both times!

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Mar-19 12:11:46

Oh just STFU andy

andycameron69 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:05:35

just gorgeous news , so pleased to leave and , love this forum, so friendly too
gringringrin

varian Fri 22-Mar-19 11:03:33

Have you put money on that?

andycameron69 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:00:58

in law we are leaving friday next week

andycameron69 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:00:39

no way

varian Fri 22-Mar-19 10:59:49

Or Revoke Article 50, which they could do unilaterally, or hold a People's Vote.

lemongrove Fri 22-Mar-19 09:19:52

If the vote was passed ( for May’s deal) then there woukd be a technical extension until 22 May, if lost, until April 12th.
If that is the case ( the latter.....and it will be) then MP’s have to decide on no deal ( no chance) or asking for a longer extension.

quizqueen Thu 21-Mar-19 23:38:36

No deal is the only real Brexit; everything else keeps us locked in for years, possibly for ever.

maryeliza54 Thu 21-Mar-19 22:53:34

I thought the date of 12 April was if the WA were lost but that if it were won the date would be 22 May

maddyone Thu 21-Mar-19 22:47:37

The extension is till 12th April apparently.

4allweknow Thu 21-Mar-19 21:04:14

Just can't see the poi t in an extension unless there is some specific change to be worked on and so far we haven't been told of any. All the parties are having these inter party meetings to come up with a solution.I keep asking myself if they have the 'cure' why have they not announced months ago.

Peardrop50 Thu 21-Mar-19 20:01:37

I have read the question "What does leaving the EU look like?" so many times as though it's a scary prospect. Nobody ever seems to ask "What does remaining in the EU look like?" So many countries with failing economies, so much youth unemployment, so much corruption and debt. In my opinion remaining looks pretty darned bleak.

Perhaps TM is a secret leaver and her cunning plan has been to herd us towards a WTO outcome all along.

Nonnatimesfour Thu 21-Mar-19 17:41:38

I agree with Piscarii, Irishlady and Nanniejc1.

piscarii Thu 21-Mar-19 16:58:47

“Not spaghetti”
Yes we are a parliamentary (a representative) democracy - with a big but - in 2016 Parliament freely agreed to transfer its power directly to the people on one clear matter, should we remain in the E.U. or leave.
They did this never guessing what the result would be - that just shows how hopelessly out of touch the political class are with us.

railman Thu 21-Mar-19 16:31:57

A number of people have said no to a customs union, or access to the single market.

Why? Does it mean we can charge whatever tariff we like to import stuff, or export stuff into the EU?

How will that help the engineers building wings for Airbus planes, or Jaguar Land Rover's 'Just In Time' production line - how can we be sure that the 'widgets' we import to fit onto sub-assemblies that are then re-exported back to the Honda plant in the Czech republic are to the right specification.

Will it impact medicines - it appears it will affect nuclear medicine, or other essential isotopes for industry?

How does a 'no deal' affect exports from the UK into the EU that are time critical - maybe foodstuffs or other perishables - what standards for checking and assurance of safety will be applied.

There are just so many questions, and so far, having read some of the Government, and the EU's impact assessments, the UK Government plans seem very short on detail and substance.

But - the bright spot on the horizon is this - the UK has NOT YET started trade negotiations with the EU. So a 'no deal' is only related to our leaving the club, and NOT how we trade with it in future.

railman Thu 21-Mar-19 16:22:02

piscarii - but I and millions of us voted to join in the 1970s, and by ignoring that vote are we not in danger of being undemocratic?

There has been no campaign to leave the EU, supported by "the people". There have been no marches, no petitions, just a Tory party manifesto/Cameron claim that we need to refer to the people, and Farage/UKIP ratcheting up extremism.

So, if when we had no plan, no concept, or cost/benefit analysis of how leaving the EU would impact our economy, society, or way of life - why not have another vote if as you say - 'the people are sovereign' - or do we get only 1 chance in our lives?

If we only get one chance, what is the point of national and local elections - we all made a choice on a ballot paper years ago, so unless an MP or councillor has died, there is no point in another ballot.

I still have no idea how or in what way we people's daily life will be improved by leaving. May is currently behaving like a dictator, and that is troubling.

luluaugust Thu 21-Mar-19 15:24:40

sorry "was" not of

luluaugust Thu 21-Mar-19 15:24:17

I thought it was lovely that Mrs Merkel is supposed to have said she had no idea the whole process of hanging on a 17th century Parliamentary Statute!