Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeremy Corbyn

(453 Posts)
jura2 Sat 23-Mar-19 20:43:10

He really has to go.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/23/corbyns-cabinet-set-for-another-huge-rift-michael-savage-toby-helm?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR3WLCoxzMEe20fUyYSJnowUKB_UvzC6m-JgNqzXUbY81NKZF-gwwynIL60

Firecracker123 Mon 15-Apr-19 14:29:05

Grandad I am sure you are capable of looking up the Brexit Party on Google. They are a brand new party and concentrating on the EU elections. When there is a general election they will set out their policies for all to see.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 15-Apr-19 15:28:17

I do wonder what the obsession is with Jeremy Corbyn. It's the Labour Party and it's policies that matter - you either think they are overall the ones you would vote for or you don't. Jeremy Corbyn has raised Labour's profile and attracted thousands of new voters but he is neither God nor the devil and will not be there for ever. If you prefer another party vote for it, talk it up and tell us all about it but the way some people virtually stalk Corbyn on here verges on the sort of neurosis that affects stalkers.

Anniebach Mon 15-Apr-19 15:43:08

Corbyn is an obsession with the members who scream ‘Jeremy’ and those who get so het up if he is critcised ,

Politicians are critcised

Who is the ‘us’ referred to?

GracesGranMK3 Mon 15-Apr-19 16:04:45

I haven't seen that Anniebach, although I have seen posts about the Labour Party, their policies, etc. Perhaps you could point me to some - or at least one of these posts where someone is "screaming Jeremy" or getting "het up if he is criticised".

One of the reasons, in fact the main reason, I stayed away from GN was because of these vitriolic threads. I am just stunned that the same people feel the same need to keep up the same extreme comments against one man when politics, which these threads are posted under, is about the governance of a country. I feel rather sorry for the people who do this; it's very sad.

Strange question you ask but the answer is that when someone posts then "us" is everyone else - but I bet you knew that wink

Anniebach Mon 15-Apr-19 16:10:36

Hello GracesGran

You spoke of new voters , many have been filmed screaming ‘Jeremy’

‘Us’, you speak for all posting on this thread ?

GracesGranMK3 Mon 15-Apr-19 16:46:43

My answer is above yours Anniebach. I am not repeating myself.

I am having much more fun reading up on whether malicious gossip is immoral.

Anniebach Mon 15-Apr-19 17:13:54

Enjoy your reading, malicious gossip holds no interest for me

GracesGranMK3 Mon 15-Apr-19 18:45:03

I think we can all find enough on threads like Anniebach to make us want to leave them well alone but I am always interested to find what the philosophers have to say.

Anniebach Mon 15-Apr-19 18:49:54

What are ‘threads like AnnieBach’ ?

GracesGranMK3 Mon 15-Apr-19 18:59:49

I missed out the word "this".

trisher Mon 15-Apr-19 19:00:51

Anniebach malicious gossip holds no interest for me
Well you could have fooled me!!!! (speculation and suggestion about Corbyn's marriage breakdown isn't gossip? or malicious?)

Grandad1943 Mon 15-Apr-19 19:37:49

Anniebach Quote [Enjoy your reading, malicious gossip holds no interest for me] End Quote.

I seem to recall much malicious gossip only a few weeks back regarding Jenny Formby and her personal life which was posted by Anniebach.

Anniebach Mon 15-Apr-19 19:38:55

No trisher I did not speculate or make any suggestion, I quoted his brother who spoke of it in an interview,

I don’t do ‘malice ‘ .

And I don’t ‘feed the need’

Iam64 Mon 15-Apr-19 20:17:21

Firecracker - where are the posts saying people want a token black person or a woman to front the Labour Party?
I must be missing something.

trisher Mon 15-Apr-19 20:31:46

Perhaps you need to look up "gossip" Annie casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details which are not confirmed as true.
In repeating statements you don't know to be true you are spreading gossip.
Iam64 I think this is a reference to my post about David Lammy and how if we couldn't have the first woman PM we could possibly have the first black PM. Aparently this is wanting a "token black person" I bet Obama never knew that!

Iam64 Mon 15-Apr-19 20:53:07

You are probably right trisher. I suspect my response that I'd be delighted to see either a woman or someone from a BME community as Labour leader fitted that token woman or black notion.

Margaret Thatcher anyone?!

lemongrove Mon 15-Apr-19 21:06:37

An interesting post Grandad about speculation that Corbyn may well stand down before a GE.If there was to be an election this year, then he will stand, but in two years?
I think Starmer is jockeying for position, but doubt the members would want him as Leader.
As for a black Leader of the Opposition, or a woman, obviously the best person for the job is the best person( Corbyn wasn’t though!) but there are enough women Labour MP’s to choose from I would have thought.

GracesGranMK3 Tue 16-Apr-19 10:01:17

"No trisher I did not speculate or make any suggestion, I quoted his brother who spoke of it in an interview,"

What is that but gossip. Repeating what you have heard about someone else without any proof if it is true or not. You have listened to the source of the gossip and spread it further.

I have had it happen to me and I can imagine some on here sharing with great glee the same sort of misinformation which actually affected my family.

It is both pernicious and immoral but those who do it continue to polish their holier than thou halos while starting yet another thread along the same lines.

Anniebach Tue 16-Apr-19 10:06:49

lemon the next leader will be chosen by Momentum and the unions

trisher Tue 16-Apr-19 10:21:37

Gossip again. The next leader will be elected by the Lbour party membership. as Jeremy Corbyn was.

jura2 Mon 22-Apr-19 21:35:15

Wake up Labour, wake up Jeremy Corbyn - before it is too late. How can anyone still say 'oh trust him, he is playing the long game, he knows what he is doing?

Listen to Margaret Beckett, and Watson, please:

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/17/labour-giving-farage-eu-election-victory-margaret-beckett-brexit?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR1EAD6jbJiUJdl88LWewrUAoTvfPOQ2-RnF51mLTVUApNvRpVV0YqptKLY

Grandad1943 Mon 22-Apr-19 22:01:51

Jeremy Corbyn has followed the Labour Party conference made policy on Brexit. That policy is that the leadership of the Parliamentary Labour Party should as priority seek to bring about a General Election. However, should that not prove possible to only then seek a second referendum.

As it looks as if the current Tory Government could collapse at any time, that conference decision and Corbyns steadfast support of it may shortly prove to be the correct policy.

The Labour Party Conference at no time endorsed any motion or decision that the Brexit policy should be for Britain to remain in the EU without the endorsement second referendum.

Margaret Beckett and others should remember the above if they value their Constituency parties continuing support.

Anniebach Tue 23-Apr-19 08:58:39

So threatening - should remember that If they value their constituency party’s support .

This is the Momentum Party not the Labour Party

jura2 Tue 23-Apr-19 09:52:26

Grandad- the Conference was a looong time ago- and things have changed massively since then. Just like May's red lines- JC has to adapt and adjust to the current emergency situation- and think of the Country, not the Party.

trisher Tue 23-Apr-19 09:54:31

Does that mean you don't believe constituency parties should not have the power to choose who stands as the Labour Party candidate, Annie?
Weren't you once a member? Didn't you choose?