Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeremy Corbyn

(453 Posts)
jura2 Sat 23-Mar-19 20:43:10

He really has to go.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/23/corbyns-cabinet-set-for-another-huge-rift-michael-savage-toby-helm?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR3WLCoxzMEe20fUyYSJnowUKB_UvzC6m-JgNqzXUbY81NKZF-gwwynIL60

Mycatisahacker Sun 05-May-19 09:26:42

smile

Anniebach Sat 04-May-19 13:18:33

We did in Wales Mycatis Not for exams , I think more because of the Welsh/English problems

Mycatisahacker Sat 04-May-19 13:10:10

No I accept that tricher I was really referring to the recent troubles.

I did study the Irish problem as it was called for O level in 1979!!! Wonder if anyone whose remembers doing that? smile

trisher Sat 04-May-19 13:04:12

Mycatisahacker I do wish people would learn a little Irish history. The IRA was not formed, nor did it spring up because of catholics in N. Ireland. It began in 1922. in Eire
Do you then consider that the lives of those on the mainland are worth more than those in Eire? Loyalists systematically killed catholics and had done so for many years with no prosecutions, partly because the RUC was so dominated by Protestants.

GabriellaG54 Sat 04-May-19 12:40:05

AnnieBach
Nowhere in my comment did I mention that they wanted to leave.
I was referring to a comment made by trisher @10:34.
Nothing to do with leaving. Please don't jump on comments before you know what the poster is talking about.

Mycatisahacker Sat 04-May-19 12:24:37

And absolutely the IRA did spring up because of the appalling treatment of catholic’s by the Protestants in NI. It was literally a disgrace.

There’s no denying that of course.

Mycatisahacker Sat 04-May-19 12:18:38

trisher

Probably because the UDA and I am not defending any terrorist activity, they didn’t try to kill a democratically elected PM and her cabinet or succeeded in killing one MP. In addition to killing many innocent members of the public in London Manchester and Birmingham.

I am in no way a fan of the DUP and I thought TM literally paying them millions for their support was a disgrace. And it hasn’t paid her well in any event.

Corbyn s Contact’s with terrorists are brought up because he doesn’t seek to bring peace he selects the terror group he suppose like the IRA and Hammas and then supports only their side.

He is silent on the fact that Hammas hasn’t held elections in Palestine for years and executes anyone who protests this.

Anniebach Sat 04-May-19 11:48:30

Not true Gabriella, not all Catholics want to leave the U.K

GabriellaG54 Sat 04-May-19 11:43:13

Someone on another thread a couple of weeks ago, declared I was wrong to say that (many) wars were religion based and declared that wars were about man hating man and using religion as a convenient 'mask' (my word)
Now, another thread and it's stated by one poster that the unrest (mentioned in the comment) in Ireland was between Catholics and Protestants each fighting for their rights which proves my point. Race and religion will always raise the hackles as evinced on here and in other threads and in RL as pointed out by NF. Always

trisher Sat 04-May-19 10:34:19

Does that matter Annie ? It is thanks to those who always kept the door open to the IRA and those who were fighting for the rights of Catholics in N. Ireland (and let us not forget that the British government and members of the Protestant community had consistently denied those rights) that we had a peace process. If you can't forget the IRA and Corbyn why should the rest of us forget that the Loyalists have always been tied to the British establishment?
If you were willing to move on I certainly would be but you can't expect to get away with blaming one side for everything.

Anniebach Sat 04-May-19 10:01:24

trisher May is working with the DUP, they are members of Parliament, if Corbyn was to become PM and Sinn Fein take their seats and worked with Corbyn it is their right.

Corbyn was supporting the IRA through the troubles and after , did May support the loyalists ?

trisher Sat 04-May-19 09:48:56

Myhatisahacker if that is true (and I have no argument with it) why do you suppose that Corbyn's contact with the IRA is so often used as a reason to dislike him, whereas the link between May, the DUP and terrorism is ignored?

Mycatisahacker Sat 04-May-19 08:54:59

I think it’s pretty pointless comparing the nastiness of terrorists in Ireland.

They were and are all vile

Mycatisahacker Sat 04-May-19 08:45:15

I think the lib dems did well, as has happened many times before, because most people regard both Theresa and Jeremy as hopeless inept and lacking any leadership qualities.

And I agree with them they are both utterly hopeless.

lemongrove Sat 04-May-19 08:25:10

Much as I dislike Corbyn as the opposition leader ( let alone as a future PM ?) he is actually mostly right about why the Lib Dems have done so well.
The results are not that people admire the LD all of a sudden, but as a gesture, a massive two fingers up to the two main parties for playing silly buggers over Brexit.
Remainers who can’t accept leaving the EU at all would have voted for the LD’s as well.
It was bound to happpen.

Anniebach Sat 04-May-19 08:14:43

The loss of Tory councillors yesterday was the worse since 1995 local elections, the Labour Party made huge gains, and 1997 won the general election with a large majority

2019 the Tory party lost many councillors, the Labour Party lost councillors too, they should have made huge gains.

Iam64 Sat 04-May-19 07:41:39

Yes to urmstongran’s view on the current labour leadership

GabriellaG54 Fri 03-May-19 22:26:18

?????

Urmstongran Fri 03-May-19 22:15:32

Corbyn's idiotic statement that it's 'very very clear' that the public want a Brexit deal done - despite the upsurge in voters opting for pro-Remain candidates - shows that he's as arrogant and deluded as May.

When is the membership ever going to wake up to the fact that it's been shafted by him, Milne, Murray, Lavery and that self-indulgent oaf McCluskey? He has to go.

Otherwise that party are heading for a catastrophic defeat, later this month and at the GE whenever it comes. Labour supporters won't forgive the party for being the handmaiden of Brexit under this pathetic 'leadership'.

Anniebach Fri 03-May-19 21:56:56

This senior member of society was not being sarcastic, just quoting what a member of Sinn Fein said in a tv interview shortly after Corbyn became leader .

Lily65 Fri 03-May-19 21:39:39

Oh For God's sake regarding Ireland lets not assume Sinn Fein are the baddies and the other lot are the goodies. The lot TM cosied up to are terrifying.

trisher Fri 03-May-19 21:39:11

Good! Anniebach It is time that we were able to move on and as we have one lot of terrorists there we may as well have the others.
I didn't expect you to comment about the DUP.

MawBroonsback Fri 03-May-19 21:13:43

No GabbyG
It isn't “ Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit”, it's “Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit… but the highest form of intelligence
Oscar Wilde, of course.

GabriellaG54 Fri 03-May-19 21:01:10

The above to AnnieBach

GabriellaG54 Fri 03-May-19 21:00:33

Sarcasm is a low form of wit and most unbecoming when 'written' by a senior member of society.