Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeremy Corbyn

(452 Posts)
jura2 Sat 23-Mar-19 20:43:10

He really has to go.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/23/corbyns-cabinet-set-for-another-huge-rift-michael-savage-toby-helm?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR3WLCoxzMEe20fUyYSJnowUKB_UvzC6m-JgNqzXUbY81NKZF-gwwynIL60

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 21:24:25

Please, Keir Starmer, make a move

I am losing patience.

Cherrytree59 Sat 23-Mar-19 21:41:29

Agree Jalima
Sir Keir Starmer (Keir after Keir Hardy),
Would seem to have the credentials required to be a leader.
not a fence sitter

Anniebach Sat 23-Mar-19 21:42:38

Keir Starmer , unforgivable when DPP he didn’t prosecute the police Office who murdered poor Ian Tomlison .

Emily Thornberry may have a chance , but her mocking of white van man will be dragged up, plus on being asked about sending her children to private schools said ‘I wanted the best for my children ‘ then quickly added ‘I want the best for all children’

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 21:49:27

No, definitely not Emily, she is hypocritical, and I know that Keir Starmer may have his critics, and perhaps rightly so, but who else has the intellect to lead the LP?

Urmstongran Sat 23-Mar-19 21:59:54

Oh god - Keir Starmer? He adores the sound of his own voice. Once he gets up on his hind legs there’s no stopping him.

Anniebach Sat 23-Mar-19 22:00:28

Emily is a hypocrite , I am critical of Stammer , yes an intellect but !

There are several on the back benches but rarely get a chance to speak.

Just not of those females on the shadow front bench please

jura2 Sat 23-Mar-19 22:01:49

well- that is perhaps because there is a lot to be said in those disastrous time. He is very clever and very well educated and knowledgeable - so yes, Keir Starmer- brilliant.

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 22:02:48

Once he gets up on his hind legs there’s no stopping him.
Oh, I've not heard that much from him at all.
McDonnell has too much to say for himself imo.

M0nica Sat 23-Mar-19 22:12:33

Hilary Benn?

Anniebach Sat 23-Mar-19 22:13:05

Not many could be as weak as Corbyn.

Anniebach Sat 23-Mar-19 22:15:03

Yes MOnica but he isn’t far left and wouldn’t be a puppy dog for momentum snd the unions

Grandad1943 Sat 23-Mar-19 22:17:31

I hate to remind all posting in this thread, but Jeremy Corbyn has not resigned and is not about to resign against the background of the greatest political crisis in modern history.

He has been elected twice to lead the Labour party on the back of the largest majority ever achieved by a candidate for leadership of the party. In that, all the signs are that he retains the backing of the grassroots in the Labour movement, and those are the people that have twice elected him.

It is being said,Q that he may stand down prior to the next scheduled general election as he would be aged 72 at that time and in that would be the oldest Prime Minister ever to take up office if elected.

However, he is Labour leader as of the present, and will not be leaving that position while the present Brexit crisis continues I believe.

The fact that the one section of the gutter press recently devoted twenty pages trying to destroy Corbyn both politically and personally demonstrates how fearful the establishment really are of Corbyn and his abilities in General election campaigns.

Anniebach Sat 23-Mar-19 22:34:31

Like Ed Milliband, Corbyn had the unions and then momentum , thanks to Milliband’s £3 s vote sale

M0nica Sat 23-Mar-19 22:52:39

When has the fact that someone is in post and not intending to resign stopped people speculating about their successor? Speculation about successors has much more to do with what a larger group than just a narrow electorate think of someone.

Every member of the Labour party can be 100% Corbynites, but as the number of people in the electorate exceed the number of LP members. If every one of them think he is an incompetent looby then neither he nor his party will be elected.

I can never understand why MPs of any party, all of whom want to be in the governing party, always insist on voting for the person they most want as leader of their party, when really they should vote for the person in their party who will most appeal to the wider electorate and those two characteristics are rarely if ever found in one person, they are either one or the other.

What the Labour and Conservative parties should be doing is looking for the member of their party who appeals to the widest number of voters regardless of their political affiliation and is a good staunch party member and vote for them and support them whether their faction is in total agreement with everything they say or not.

Currently we are faced with the unedifying sight of both parties fissured with factionalism and fighting like ferrets in a sack and completely oblivious that there is an electorate they are meant to represent and with leaders who couldn't organise organise a tea party in a dolls house. (references to p*ss ups in brewerys seem inappropriatefor our current two leaders.)

Anniebach Sat 23-Mar-19 22:56:23

Corbyn has claimed £180 to pay for art work for a Corbyn calender

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 22:56:42

Jeremy Corbyn has not resigned and is not about to resign against the background of the greatest political crisis in modern history.
Oh, what a pity, just when we need an effective and strong Leader of the Opposition.
sad

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 22:58:00

The fact that the one section of the gutter press recently devoted twenty pages trying to destroy Corbyn
I never read anything in the press, preferring to make my own judgement, which is as in my post above.

Chewbacca Sat 23-Mar-19 23:14:00

Corbyn has been the most unpopular leader, of any opposition party, since 1955. On R4 this morning, it was said that he's 38 points behind the Tories. In the current climate, that takes some doing.

Grandad1943 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:14:02

M0nica, the broader Labour movement has affiliated to the palimentery Labour party for over one hundred years. In that, many Leaders of the party respected the support the trade unions gave the Palimentery party and attended their conferences etc and ensured those unions could operate effectively within society.

However the "Blair era" changed all the foregoing in that Blair & Co were only too happy to take the affiliation subscriptions of often poorly paid trade union members, but never once attended any union conference or revoked any section of Maggie Thatcher's many anti-trade union bills.

Therefore, those grassroots members now have gained a full say in the running and policy-making of the Labour party, and I feel that they now see the party as theirs and that will not change even if the party do not win the next general election.

In other words, they say the party is ours, it will stay ours, and if the wider electorate do not like that and do not elect us, too bad, things will still remain the same.

Chewbacca Sat 23-Mar-19 23:15:51

The "gutter press" don't need to put too much effort in trying to destroy Corbyn. He's doing a remarkably good job of that all by himself.

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Mar-19 23:16:04

How many voted for the manifesto and how many voted for the 'Oh, Jeremy Corbyn' chant because they were brainwashed?

Lyndiloo Sun 24-Mar-19 01:34:55

If there were a General Election coming, I would think that for the sake of his party, Jeremy Corbyn would step down and a new leader be elected. Nobody I know likes him - even staunch Labour Party voters.

But look around ... who else is there?

Same goes for the Tories and I fear that May would be in the same boat as Corbyn. (That'd be cosy!)

We seem to be starkly short of honest, trustworthy, sensible and intelligent MPs at the moment!

For Labour I would choose Hilary Benn. I think that he has all the qualities mentioned above. I don't always agree with him, but like his father, I feel that he has an integrity that is sadly lacking with so many MPs.

As for the Conservative Party ...? I really like Jacob Rees-Mogg, but I doubt he would attract many voters - mainly because he is too 'posh'. (He'd have to take elocution lessons in Cockney Slang!) David Davis ...? Again, a terrible scarcity of suitable candidates.

Come back, Winston Churchill - Your Country Needs You!

crystaltipps Sun 24-Mar-19 06:54:53

Winston Churchill was very pro Europe.

crystaltipps Sun 24-Mar-19 06:56:35

Jess Phillips, she was good on bake off, could be worse credentials.