Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit-what else?

(273 Posts)
Mollygo Wed 27-Mar-19 09:01:35

Just joined GN and I thought this would be the place to ask. On the news today I heard them talking about getting rid of Mrs May and getting a “proper brexiteer”.
What’s one of those?

Lily65 Sat 13-Apr-19 09:17:05

I do feel mean UG. It was an idiotic thing to say and I apologise. Time for break from here and politics.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Apr-19 09:32:07

Martin Kettle

“for the right, the aim was to bend the Tory party to their obsessional will, instead they have wrecked their party”

Strangely “ the 2016 referendum may have done more for European consciousness, than all the preceding years of neglect ......the feeling of Europeaness is growing faster in the U.K. than any other European country”

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/11/nationalist-right-lost-battle-for-brexit-second-vote

Urmstongran Sat 13-Apr-19 09:47:50

Ah thank you Lily65 that’s nice of you. You’re forgiven! Don’t disappear - we all say daft things now and again. You hurt my feelings but it’s nicer to be friends again!

Really.

jura2 Sat 13-Apr-19 10:20:34

However, her message was somewhat harsh- but there was nothing daft about it, for sure.

Nonnie Sat 13-Apr-19 11:26:59

I've been away from the TV for a couple of days but have seen protests on Twitter that NF was given airtime without anyone being given the opportunity to counter what he said, is it true?

Firecracker123 Sat 13-Apr-19 13:17:22

Love him or hate him Nigel gets people talking. All the Remainers on Twitter having a paddy over Nigel ?

Labaik Sat 13-Apr-19 16:09:47

Can anyone tell me what policies he has other than leaving the EU? #onetrickpony

Urmstongran Sat 13-Apr-19 18:08:40

Nope Labaik but that’ll do for now! It’s been such a long time coming - now someone can give it (and us!) the boosts it needs.

mostlyharmless Sat 13-Apr-19 18:16:42

YouGov polling not happy reading for Conservatives.
Shows the rise of Brexit Party and UKIP.

pbs.twimg.com/media/D4BBjK7WwAAuCwS?format=jpg&name=large

jura2 Sat 13-Apr-19 19:07:04

youtu.be/9q9LpRLsxzo

Labaik Sun 14-Apr-19 01:25:58

So he hasn't got any other policies then....

jura2 Sun 14-Apr-19 08:36:40

on the NHS?
on education?
on the environment?
on welfare
and animal welfare
security
on roads and transports on .. on .. on ..

He sponged off the EU and us for years and years, being paid a fat salary for doing sweet * all.

BTW did you know (I didn't) - that we are the only EU country which decided to all fishing quotas to be sold abroad- the UK's decision, NOT the EU - almost 50% of our fishing quotas were sold, by the UK to Spanish, Dutch and Iceland companies - 29% to Rich List families and their massive fleet, not quaint fishing village.

Urmstongran Sun 14-Apr-19 09:35:54

“Now from my place in the Lords, I can only urge all my Conservative colleagues in the Commons to act to save our party and the country from the growing dangers of a failure to honour their pledges to deliver Brexit without strings.

The prerequisite for that is the removal of Mrs May from No 10 to make way for a genuine Conservative. That must be done very soon or first the Conservative Party and then this kingdom will be destroyed by the neo-Marxists.
There is not much time before it is too late”

Lord Tebbit is a former chairman of the Conservative Party

varian Sun 14-Apr-19 14:56:56

You are to right flag up the way our fishing community was let down by the British government who allowed our quotas to be sold to other countries and by our UK representative on the EU Fisheries Committee, one Nigel Farage, who only attended one out of 42 Committee meetings.

If you know anyone connected with the fishing industry, lease point this out.

Labaik Mon 15-Apr-19 13:45:35

Much as I sympathise with fishing communities I think the British people have a strange idea that fishing is vitally important to our economy [an article I read pointed out that it contributed a miniscule amount]. And also the EU have ploughed money into fishing communities that central government would have chosen to ignore....

Whitewavemark2 Tue 16-Apr-19 07:34:42

Tories panicking

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/15/downing-street-under-pressure-to-close-down-labour-talks-on-brexit

Whitewavemark2 Tue 16-Apr-19 07:38:34

I hope the Tories are listening

www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/pelosi-warns-no-us-uk-trade-deal-if-belfast-agreement-weakened-by-brexit-1.3861459

Whitewavemark2 Tue 16-Apr-19 09:54:23

A well deserved rest

mobile.twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1118055881042735105/photo/1

Joelsnan Tue 16-Apr-19 10:52:57

Labiak
And also the EU have ploughed money into fishing communities that central governmen would have chosen to ignore

It has been mentioned many times that the EU does not directly fund initiatives. The UK pays into the fund then the EU decides how much each country can have back (after they have creamed an administration fee) See link below.

'As a group, the 28 EU Commissioners have the ultimate political responsibility for ensuring that EU funds are spent properly. But because most of the funding is managed within the beneficiary countries, responsibility for conducting checks and annual audits lies with national governments.

Over 76% of the EU budget is managed in partnership with national and regional authorities through a system of "shared management", largely through 5 big funds - the Structural & Investment Funds. Collectively, these help to implement the Europe 2020 strategy'.
europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/funding-grants_en

jura2 Tue 16-Apr-19 16:24:45

So, there are 2 huge obstacles to a USA-UK Trade agreement. From the right, and Trump - it is clear that he will want such an agreement to suit the USA and not t'other way round. He will insist we drop all our standards- based on EU standards- be in on workers' rights, welfare, animal welfare and bio safety, environment, etc, etc, etc + of course access to private contracts for an alternative to NHS, and much higher costs for drugs, etc.

But now- and on a very different level, the 'left' or Democrats- say they will refuse to have any deals with UK if the Good Friday Agreement is threatened at all. And now, I'd hope everyone has realised, that there is NO solution to the Ireland/NI border. It is totally impossible to have one open border between the EU and the UK - that is clear. And it is also clear that NI does not want to leave the Union to be part of a United Ireland. So there are NO solutions possible.

Nancy Pelosi makes that abundantly clear:

www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/401083523819776/

Whitewavemark2 Wed 17-Apr-19 07:11:56

It is worth reiterating.

It is shameful that the American House of Representatives, has to make it clear to The UK. Government that they will not tolerate harm to the GFA as a result of Brexit.

Why do they say this? Because it is an international agreement. It is the rule of law.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 17-Apr-19 11:28:40

Governments assessment of post-brexit Britain

finance.yahoo.com/news/devastating-chart-uk-governments-brexit-analysis-091434226.html

Whitewavemark2 Wed 17-Apr-19 12:26:27

ERG clash with American representatives

www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/us-politicians-and-brexiteers-clash-on-concocted-border-issue-1.3862750?mode=amp

jura2 Wed 17-Apr-19 12:50:40

www.facebook.com/TED/videos/284604449134599/

has social media forever undermined, or even destroyed, Democracy? And yet when people now know what happened, the denial is incredible.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 17-Apr-19 17:40:30

Microtargeting may well have done Jura.

1. It violates the privacy of the citizen
2. It violates the citizen's freedom to arrive at their own considered judgement and decision
3. It allows a small number of actors control of information
4. It is opaque giving voters limited control over the information and advertisements with which they are targeted.

Very little research has been done in the UK. Much more in the USA.