Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit-what else?

(272 Posts)
Mollygo Wed 27-Mar-19 09:01:35

Just joined GN and I thought this would be the place to ask. On the news today I heard them talking about getting rid of Mrs May and getting a “proper brexiteer”.
What’s one of those?

MaizieD Wed 27-Mar-19 09:34:12

It's a true believer in the existence of fairies, unicorns and Father Christmas. Or, it's a very wealthy man (they all seem to be men) who is on track to make a lot of money from the destruction of the NHS and our economy.

MaizieD Wed 27-Mar-19 09:36:16

P.S I hope you have nerves of steel, Mollygo, because this topic and forum are not for the fainthearted.

Welcome to Gnet ?

maryeliza54 Wed 27-Mar-19 10:00:02

The adjective ‘proper’ should never be applied to a Brexiteer who could replace TM. All the possible contenders are some of the most ‘improper’ people you could imagine ?

EllanVannin Wed 27-Mar-19 11:06:25

I'd have a different name------a traitor.

Mollygo Thu 28-Mar-19 12:15:36

Thanks for the responses. I think it’s clearer now wink

Anniebach Thu 28-Mar-19 12:19:24

Kate Howey is a very wealthy man ?

Dennis Skinner is a very wealthy man on track to make money from the destruction of the NHS ?

varian Thu 28-Mar-19 14:25:27

78% of Kate Hoey's Vauxhall constituency voted Remain. In spite of being a Labour MP she talks, acts and votes as if she was in the DUP. Unsurprisingly over 30% of her constituents hav already signed the Revoke Article 50 petition.

www.livefrombrexit.com/petitions/241584

GabriellaG54 Thu 28-Mar-19 14:41:45

Mollygo
Molly, you're only, in the main, going to get bile from certain people and not a balanced view, only their view (as this is only mine)
Do read everything and make your own mind up.
Some comments are rather more balanced than others and there are faults on both sides.
The ramifications of staying or leaving are only predictions and not set in stone.
Not even the cleverest among us can accurately predict what will or will not happen and no-one on here has a hotline to Junker, Barnier, Macron or any of our UK MPs.
We are only putting forward our own views (with the exception of some, who post links)

varian Thu 28-Mar-19 14:47:28

It is useful to post links, especially those which enable us to check out facts, statistics and expert opinions.

GabriellaG54 Thu 28-Mar-19 16:15:58

It depends on where the writer of the opinion stands.
Telegraph v Guardian, no-one is truly impartial and even 'experts' disagree with each other.
Who decides who is to be cited as an expert?

GabriellaG54 Thu 28-Mar-19 16:18:54

...and the people who post links invariably only post links which purport to support their view.
Carefully managed cherry-picking on both sides - none of it impartial.

Jalima1108 Thu 28-Mar-19 17:23:42

Hello Mollygo - as this is your first post, welcome to GN smile

Urmstongran Thu 28-Mar-19 18:00:07

Hi Mollygo welcome - if we’ve not already spooked you! Any discussion on Brexit can get pretty heated.

varian Thu 28-Mar-19 18:17:30

Hi Mollygo. It is good to see a new gransnetter starting a thread. GG has told you that the people who post links do so to support their own view. That is not entirely true, sometimes links are for general information, but it is probably true a lot of the time. That is because if you make some unsubstantiated claim like "so and so said such and such" other posters will ask how you know that is true, so links are helpful. If you want to make some similar claim, by all means post a link.

Wobbles Thu 28-Mar-19 19:04:44

Welcome Mollygo
To answer your original question - A proper Brexiteer is somebody who wants to Leave the EU with or without a deal.

varian Thu 28-Mar-19 19:45:28

A good definition wobbles. In other words a "proper brexiter" is someone who does not care how much damage brexit could do to them, their children, their grandchoildren and their country.

Wobbles Thu 28-Mar-19 20:06:15

And a "Proper Remainer" is someone who belittles the outcome of the 2016 referendum and the 17 million people who voted to leave the EU.

Wobbles Thu 28-Mar-19 20:10:50

belittles I meant to write ridicules

Smileless2012 Thu 28-Mar-19 20:13:55

For goodness sake varian what on earth gives you the moral high ground and the audacity to assume, which by the way makes an ass out of you and me, that those who voted for Brexit don't care about their own welfare, the welfare of their children and GC and the country they live in?

Your constant insults of those who voted to leave the EU as boring as it is predictable.

varian Thu 28-Mar-19 20:20:52

Surely anyone who has been paying attention to the news for the last three years, and not just lapping up the propaganda of the right wing tabloids, now understands that any kind of brexit would be very bad for our country and a no-deal brexit disastrous.

That is why most British people, even some who were fooled into voting leave three years ago, now want the UK to remain in the EU.

Smileless2012 Thu 28-Mar-19 20:27:24

You don't know what "most people" think varian and there you go again, insulting the intelligence of those who voted for Brexit.

And how dare you accuse me of "just lapping up the propaganda of the of the right wind tabloids". You have no idea which papers, if any, I read. Don't bother denying your slur; your post comes immediately after mine.

I voted to leave, I wasn't "fooled" by anyone. Mr. S. voted remain but would vote leave if there were a second referendum.

Smileless2012 Thu 28-Mar-19 20:29:09

Meant to put right wing tabloids. Must be all your hot air that led to my typing error varian

varian Thu 28-Mar-19 20:29:40

Brexit: Political will of the people 'must be in question' as 55 per cent now want to stay in EU, poll finds

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-will-of-people-poll-leave-remain-eu-second-referendum-vote-centre-social-research-curtice-a8839996.html

Mollygo Fri 29-Mar-19 12:30:49

Ooh I like a bit of heat.
With no expert knowledge to fall back on, I notice that some media claims say that the remain vote has gone up and others, that the leave vote has increased.
Now I’m confused! Which media do I believe or shall I take all of them with the usual pinch of salt?
Yesterday, I heard David Lidington (Con) say that ministers have a duty to put the National Interest first. What a ‘nothing’ statement if no one, even on Gransnet, can agree what the National Interest is. Then I heard Stephen Doughty (Lab) say that HE is working closely with members across all parties to find a solution. Politicians working together? Wow!
Best word I’ve read for the current situation? Omnishambles. Best illustration I’ve seen is above . . .