Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May to Quit

(44 Posts)
Day6 Wed 27-Mar-19 18:16:53

"Downing Street have confirmed that if the deal passes this week, the UK will leave on 22nd May, at which point the process to elect a new leader will begin. May will remain in post until her successor is chosen but it will be the end of her negotiating anything to do with Brexit."

Grandad1943 Wed 27-Mar-19 20:07:53

The blame must lay solely with the fact that following the referendum result Britain then spent two and a half years demanding leave terms from the European Union that they were entirely unable to give.

This whole debacle has been brought about by British brain dead negotiators asking the EU to rip up the treaties that the entire European Union is based on and to which Britain freely signed up to, simply because the UK now wishes to leave.

That was never going to happen, and so, "we are where we are"

Urmstongran Wed 27-Mar-19 20:18:51

She is going (pushed by the 1922 Committee) on May 22 when (if) her deal gets through. Brexit will be delivered. Gove is favourite to take over. He is a Brexiteer and will lead the next stage of the negotiations. He will sweep a broom through the Cabinet office. Bye bye Hammond (the Eeyore) and probably Lidington too (another Remainer).

Things are looking up for Brexit!

phoenix Wed 27-Mar-19 20:25:26

Very rare for me to post on a politics thread, but I feel quite sorry for her.

Cameron called the referendum, the vote didn't go the way he wanted, so he baled out, and left someone else to clear up the mess.

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Mar-19 20:42:18

I don't understand it phoenix
If her deal goes through, ie if she is successful, then she is will resign!

What a mess it all is, thanks DC.

Urmstongran Wed 27-Mar-19 20:50:18

Goodness knows where TM is now. Arlene Foster has said the DUP cannot support TM Deal.

I don’t think it will get through now as the numbers don’t stack up.

Grandad1943 Wed 27-Mar-19 21:00:54

Urmstongran, Gove is hated by the supporters of Boris (The Buffoon) Johnson for the way he politically stabbed Boris in the back during the last Tory leadership election.

Angela Leason supporters hate both Gove and Johnson for past political deeds that have committed against her. So, the Battles within the Tory party will continue and in all probability get far worse.

The above will be taking place while Britain is trying to secure a trade agreement with the EU, which will be the hard part of Britain really leaving the European Union.

So, Theresa May resigning will not bring peace within the Tory party, or help in this countries future relationship with the European Union.

In fact, I feel "we ain't seen nothing yet" when it comes to infighting in the Tory party.

POGS Wed 27-Mar-19 21:12:52

The irony is Theresa May is falling on her sword because Parliament did not back the EU / UK Withdrawal Bill / Agreement, the numbers were not on her side.

Yet having asked several times nobody who backs Corbyn can tell me why Labour vote against the Withdrawal Bill /Agreement.

I am confused hearing and watching Labour Shadow Cabinet Ministers and MP's say the Withdrawal Bill is necessary and admit the EU will not renegotiate it. They even say the Backstop is necessary.

The SNP and Lib Dems were at least honest in there reason to vote against the Withdrawal Bill / Agreement.

Lily65 Wed 27-Mar-19 21:19:49

Is Phillip involved in cannabis?

Grandad1943 Wed 27-Mar-19 21:29:42

POGS, the Labour party policy on Brexit is as it was laid out by the party conference as I have pointed out to you many times for to this.

That policy is, to give first priority to bringing about a General Election, but if that proves not possible to then "consider" seeking a second referendum.

However, there are divisions in both major parties in regard to how Brexit should be handled. That stated, the Labour party are not the party of Government at this time. That accolade is held by the Tory party, and they got this nation into this current crisis by way of total incompetence, and it is for that party to get this nation out of that crisis.

Grandad1943 Wed 27-Mar-19 21:31:08

Apologies, that should be "prior to this" above.

POGS Wed 27-Mar-19 22:08:02

Grandad

I keep asking the question re the Labours position on the EU/UK Withdrawal Bill / Agreement and you keep answering with no reference to the question.

Do you have any thought on the question re the Withdrawal Bill?

Ohmother Wed 27-Mar-19 22:21:02

I think May has been stoic! Fighting for something she didn’t personally wish for whilst constantly being stabbed in the back. All whilst coping with diabetes and the harm stress can do to make it worse. She has risked her health for her country.

Grandad1943 Wed 27-Mar-19 22:25:51

POGS, it is this Tory governments withdraw plan, and they should be able to secure a Parliamentary majority on that bill by way of offering their DUP cohorts another motorway or two.

However, if the Tory party in the House of Commons cannot secure the backing for that majority from within their own MPs and the DUP, then anyone should wonder if they are competent to remain in government.

Perhaps Theresa May's last act as prime minister should be a trip to Buckingham Palace not to offer her resignation but to offer the resignation of this whole sorry government.

POGS Wed 27-Mar-19 22:38:04

Grandad

" POGS, it is this Tory governments withdraw plan "

It is the EU/ UK Withdrawal Agreement that various Labour Shadow Cabinet Ministers and MP's say is required , especially the Backstop and for the good of Ireland.

Parliament today and tonight thought it was going to work wonders but yet again Parliament has failed by all 8 Amendments being voted against.

Grandad1943 Wed 27-Mar-19 23:09:55

POGS Quote [It is the EU/ UK Withdrawal Agreement] End Quote.

It is not an EU/UK Withdrawal Agreement; it is a British Tory government/EU Withdrawal Agreement. However, that Tory government cannot even get all their own MPs or their DUP cohorts to support the very agreement that they negotiated.

However, they may now get the Speaker to grant one more attempt to get the Withdrawal Agreement through the House of Commons. Should that then fail to get a majority, surely this government should and must resign, and a General Election should take place.

After all, failure of that bill to pass through the House of Commons again, and support for nothing else in Parliment would leave this nation with no other option.

POGS Thu 28-Mar-19 08:43:41

Grandad

As you keep saying re Labour's policy :--

"That policy is, to give first priority to bringing about a General Election, but if that proves not possible to then "consider" seeking a second referendum."
--

I think Shami Chakrobarti gave a bit of the game away when asked a question ' Why was Labour not represented at the March Saturday'?

Her reply was something like. Tom Watson was there but we have a divided party and Jeremy was ' in the North' trying to keep support up there.

If there was another General Election the two main parties wouldn't know which way to jump and both their Manifestos and Parties have overridden what most of us know as a democratic vote so I don't think either of them truly want another General Election.

That policy is, to give first priority to bringing about a General Election, but if that proves not possible to then "consider" seeking a second referendum.

lutongranny Thu 28-Mar-19 21:04:50

tomorrow,,11 pm..,,,,,,,,,,

crystaltipps Fri 29-Mar-19 07:52:03

So if she wins she goes, but if she loses she stays?
Anyone understand this?
She is presenting her half *rsed WA that is no different from the previous one, just a bit taken out which will have to be drawn out later no doubt.
make sense anyone?
Historic? More like shambolic.