Gransnet forums

News & politics

Isn't there living space in the Embassy?

(41 Posts)
paddyann Thu 28-Mar-19 10:42:56

Apparently ,according to the NY Times,the Home Office ,thats the UK home office has just spent 16 MILLION DOLLARS on an apartment for a UK diplomat ??? Thought we were skint.If there isn'taccommodation in the Embassy why not ..and if there is why are they spending this vast sum of money on one man 's temprary home.I thought MP's were taking the mick with their expenses but this beats even them !

AllatSea48 Thu 28-Mar-19 10:56:52

Couldn't agree more - completely outrageous! It's our money too, -from our taxes, from our hard earned money ((and now, minuscule pension (taxed again too as just outside non taxable allowance)). Why oh why isn't that money being put towards the needs of the less fortunate in this country, the homeless, legal aid, the NHS, etc, etc etc. How can they justify such self indulgence?

gillybob Thu 28-Mar-19 11:00:04

I saw that paddyann and I think it's disgusting.

They can't justify it AllatSea and won't even try. angry

Urmstongran Thu 28-Mar-19 11:08:51

So about £8mn ?
Just less than what the government spent then on all those Remain leaflets delivered to every household in the U.K. back in 2016.
It seems a government always finds money down the back of a sofa when it needs to ...

Baggs Thu 28-Mar-19 11:25:25

Is this for a UK diplomat in New York? If so it might not be all that expensive comparatively speaking. Also, it will only be the diplomat's residence while he or she is the diplomat. It will remain the property of the UK government, won't it? In which case, it could be looked on as an investment.

mcem Thu 28-Mar-19 11:45:23

That's well over £12 million not "about 8"!

Urmstongran Thu 28-Mar-19 12:08:42

I stand corrected mcem it’s a long time since we went to Florida - I just did the conversion in my head.

Jalima1108 Thu 28-Mar-19 12:09:22

It will remain the property of the UK government, won't it? In which case, it could be looked on as an investment.
Yes, of course it will.

knspol Fri 29-Mar-19 10:29:00

Totally agree a waste of money. Agree he has to have a place fitting his position as he has to 'look the part' BUT why the need for such a large place plus the cost of the staff required to maintain such an extravagance. Surely any business entertaining could be done at the embassy or some other suitable place

DJS685 Fri 29-Mar-19 10:29:48

My husband has worked for the UK FCO on its properties in New York and has seen this residence. It is for the main residence for the Consular General and it will be used for entertaining and business as well as a residence. He told me that the Australian government also has an apartment in that building.
And apparently $16m is not expensive for properties in NY ...

Annaram1 Fri 29-Mar-19 10:36:20

I AM SHOCKED TOO!!! But if it is an investment it may be cheap in NY.

Saggi Fri 29-Mar-19 10:44:37

What dyou want the UK ambassador to do ....rent a mobile home. For goodness sake if we can afford that load of free -loaders called the royal family we can afford a decent residence for an ambassador. Get real...£12,000,000 in NY..... !!!

maryhoffman37 Fri 29-Mar-19 10:59:35

It's £12m and quite unacceptable.

Jalima1108 Fri 29-Mar-19 11:03:52

What d'you want the UK ambassador to do ....rent a mobile home?
Precisely - that would really make us look down and out and on our uppers post-Brexit!
At least some would be satisfied though - the UK is 'finished'!
grin

Blinko Fri 29-Mar-19 11:11:50

So as it's UK taxpayers money, I expect that means we can all stay there when in NY? Thought not.

Jalima1108 Fri 29-Mar-19 11:12:55

There is a sumptuous ensuite just waiting for us, Blinko, we just have to keep smiling and shaking hands with people we would rather not meet grin whilst doing trade deals at the same time.

Ginny42 Fri 29-Mar-19 11:19:07

Whilst we have people sleeping on the streets of our major towns and cities?

Jalima1108 Fri 29-Mar-19 11:23:50

It is an entirely separate issue.

We can afford both that and to help the homeless by providing more hostels/homes but the reasons people are sleeping on the streets are many and complex and many need more than just accommodation..

nannypiano Fri 29-Mar-19 11:30:58

The government gets confused as to who is royalty and who isn't. One thing is for sure that even though we are financing their rich and wonderful lives, we are and have always been the peasants and should be very grateful for any crumbs they throw us. They are never short of money when it comes to what they think is a good idea and where they might benefit. Brexit might have been a nightmare, but it's certainly opened my eyes to the idiots and greed running this country and I worry that there isn't one person that will be able to do the job satisfactorily without big brother EU making the decisions as they have been for so long. Watch this space.

Craftycat Fri 29-Mar-19 11:50:35

I always thought the country concerned had to pay for their own Embassy. Do we pay for ours abroad then? If so I would suggest a nice flat & if they need to take people out to wine & dine use a restaurant.
I'm sick of financing a few favoured people who do little or nothing for this country. In this day of technology why do they need to live abroad? Have they never heard of Skype!

Kim19 Fri 29-Mar-19 12:11:32

Any thoughts as to why this is being circulated now? I don't believe it's new news.

grumppa Fri 29-Mar-19 13:06:05

At least it's not in Trump Tower.

JohnD Fri 29-Mar-19 13:22:53

Agree it is scandalous, but like look after like. Did you see where the Director of the Trust running one of the sets of Academy School made sure his family all received well paid jobs which meant much less money for the Schools.

Jalima1108 Fri 29-Mar-19 14:13:23

If so I would suggest a nice flat & if they need to take people out to wine & dine use a restaurant.
Well, you have to make sure that wherever you meet people is not bugged for a start!!

I have no idea what the royals have to do with this thread.
Ambassadors, diplomats and all their staff are an essential part of any country's relations with the rest of the world.

Come back Baggs, some of the naivety on the thread is astonishing!

Willow10 Fri 29-Mar-19 14:36:13

Just heard that our lovely little library is closing. What a shame that we are so hard up .......