Gransnet forums

News & politics

Dominic Grieve

(108 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 30-Mar-19 11:41:12

The remain-supporting Conservative MP, Dominic Grieve, is facing deselection by his party after losing a confidence vote held by his local association by 182 to 131 votes.

The Conservative association in his Beaconsfield constituency said it no longer had confidence in the former attorney general after he put his case to members at a meeting last night.

Hopefully he will be the first of many! Yvette Cooper’s constituents voted by 71% to Leave the EU.

Day6 Mon 01-Apr-19 14:32:53

And there was me being told this only happened under Jeremy

Ah, but Anja, Jeremy is poster boy for hard-left Momentum, so he is safe. We all know Momentum favours only hard left politicians. Kate Hoey on the other hand, who has integrity in spades, has had her card marked, as have most Labour MPs who aren't in the "I love JC Club"

Now that IS a sinister set-up.

GabriellaG54 Mon 01-Apr-19 14:53:50

Jura2*
A helpful hint. grin
Fewer* than 500 votes not less than.
Fewer = number
Less = amount

Urmstongran Mon 01-Apr-19 14:57:40

Well the constituency vote is academic as Theresa May has just said she is going to step in and ensure he keeps his seat.

Our betters deciding what’s best for us again. Jeez. Does it never end?

Jabberwok Mon 01-Apr-19 16:15:29

I despair! Lets hope the next eelection gets rid of this arrogant self centered man!

varian Tue 02-Apr-19 14:32:30

Tory Party Chairman Brandon Lewis has stepped in to stop Dominic Grieve being deselected and now we hear that ultra brexit cheat Arron Banks to contest Brandon Lewis's seat

jura2 Tue 02-Apr-19 14:36:25

Thanks Gabriella, how kind to correct me. In my mind I considered them as a 'lump'- so was quite correct then.

varian Sun 07-Apr-19 15:33:54

Dominic Grieve, writing to his constituents in the "Bucks Free Press" clarifies the duty of an MP-

"MPs are indeed there to serve their constituents, but it is the duty of anyone undertaking a task in these circumstances not to be an automaton but to apply their own thoughts and experience on behalf of their constituents.

I do not wish to be at odds with my constituency party which has supported me over many years, but I believe strongly that there are flaws in the withdrawal agreement and the deal, which would be best resolved by taking the whole issue back to a further referendum so that we can go ahead with that compact between Parliament and people."

www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/17555001.i-dont-wish-to-be-at-odds-with-the-constituency-who-have-supported-me/