Gransnet forums

News & politics

Another petition for those who care about honesty in a democracy

(49 Posts)
MaizieD Sun 31-Mar-19 11:04:47

So, the 'Revoke' petition has hit the 6 million mark grin

Here's another for concerned citizens to sign, calling for a public inquiry into the corrupted EU Referendum:

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241848/

Let's get it moving

Greta Sun 14-Apr-19 12:54:19

Interesting to see that this petition will soon reach 100,000.

GabriellaG54 Fri 12-Apr-19 00:25:46

Yawn...same old same old.
Some people aren't for turning but that doesn't stop others from running them down.
Why, I've no idea. They're on a mission which will never be accomplished.

varian Thu 11-Apr-19 18:20:19

If you don't want to hear anything that might be disturbing to someone with a closed mind, please don't listen to this radio phone-in conversation with a leaver advocating a leap into the unknown.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rj5tLnc8EY

Jabberwok Thu 11-Apr-19 13:49:23

I must admit to not being on Facebook, Twitter or any other website apart from GN, (now and again!) and Rootschat to help with family research. From the little I have gleaned, they for the most part sound pretty unpleasant, so not for me!

GabriellaG54 Wed 10-Apr-19 23:32:11

May I point out that your observations are only a repetition of the hundreds which have gone before. grin

GrandmaKT Wed 10-Apr-19 22:00:04

So, ignoring Gabriella's irrelevant post and getting back to the subject...
Like others, I have read so much vitriol and inflamed statements on both sides. Comments on the ITV Facebook site are particularly alarming. I seem to be drawn to reading them, like picking at a scab unfortunately! I tell myself that I need to know how most people are feeling, and then get depressed and have to reassure myself that the vociferous keyboard warriors do not speak for the majority.
It is such a sad situation we are in. We have been manipulated to the brink of civil unrest by a bunch of self-serving politicians. Before the referendum campaign how many people were strongly against the EU? I'm sure that it didnt even feature in most people's top 10 concerns.
Many, as we know, used the referendum as a protest vote against austerity, immigration, nhs issues etc etc, which leaving the EU will not change. Instead of addressing these issues earlier the Tory party have created the current dangerous situation.

GabriellaG54 Wed 10-Apr-19 21:35:17

duwn st chikdren uoset
down at children upset

GabriellaG54 Wed 10-Apr-19 21:30:03

if of

GabriellaG54 Wed 10-Apr-19 21:28:50

It's a sign if the times that the pc brigade have dumbed duwn everything so that the less advantaged among us don't feel left out.
Police and fire brigade height, sight and fitness. Overweight nurses 'lecturing' the population about losing weight, exams made easier and spelling...well...anything goes.
You can't even remark on it nowadays without the pc brigade trotting out the same old well worn phrases.
Even teachers are counselled not to mark mistakes with red pen in case it puts pupils off or upsets them.
My children could read and write and count up to their 12 times table before going to school st 4.5 - 5 yrs old.
They were also continent x 2 by the age of 2.5 and probably dry nearer 2.
I think, in many ways, that we're being shunted into a society where everyone can object to anything and
the victim is the one trying ( and failing) to uphold standards.
No school sports days as parents who attend might make some chikdren uoset that their parents couldn't make it.
No 1st prize. Everyone gets the same memento so there is no competition and no-one feels left out.
What a country.
What a shambles.

Jabberwok Wed 10-Apr-19 19:31:32

As I said implying that people were lacking in basic English Grammar was always disapproved of by posters, as there can be valid reasons, ie dyslexia, or whatever, but that of course is quite some time ago, and most of those more courteous posters on this particular issue have long since left the thread. Not to worry, sign of the times we live in I daresay! (shrug)

Greta Wed 10-Apr-19 17:33:20

Thank you, Gabriella.

GabriellaG54 Wed 10-Apr-19 17:14:39

Yes... let bygones be bygones.
I actually get quite irritated by people sniping at each other.
Back and forth like a game of table-tennis, fast and furious.
Can't we just be calmer and think before we post.
Most of us are old(er) 'ladies' but you wouldn't know it by some of the comments.
I'm as much to blame as anyone so I'm going to take my own advice.
Robust but always polite argument is in.
Sniping, mocking, baiting and deriding other opinions is out.
I won't be answering any post which matches those 'out' descriptions either.

Greta Wed 10-Apr-19 17:00:27

Jabberwok: Correcting peoples grammar is both rude and unnecessary

If somebody chooses to correct another poster's grammar it seems only fair that that somebody should be able to accept to have her own grammar corrected.

I actually find this interesting but I'm not going to dwell on it now because this thread is not about grammar. I believe in life-long learning. Surely, we should never stop being willing to learn. I am quite happy for others to correct any mistakes in my posts. Many language points are interesting; it's fascinating to know where words come from and how grammar rules operate. Of course, we know that many errors are just typos.

Jabberwok Wed 10-Apr-19 16:38:17

Correcting peoples grammar is both rude and unnecessary, as is the correction of spelling and punctuation. This was always disapproved of on GN. Hard to believe that it is acceptable now.

Ginny42 Wed 10-Apr-19 08:14:35

GabriellsG54 please stop making sweeping statements. I and my family have been very much affected already by Brexit. I have lost part of my job and suffered considerable loss of earnings, so don't presume to speak for us with statements like, 'we in the UK are not yet affected '. WE are.

Greta Wed 10-Apr-19 07:47:00

GabriellaG54: "I don't 'do' basic anything"

But you certainly know how to do base.

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Apr-19 23:38:07

We in the UK are not yet affected and no-one knows if or to what extent purported changes will have any impact, therefore all your hot air is presumption not fact. grin
Doom-mongering.

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Apr-19 23:31:55

I don't 'do' basic anything Greta so that's not on the cards.
If any remain-voting ex pats are thinking of returning to the bosom of their family when the time is right they are in for a shock.
Better to stay where they are in the bosom of the all-caring familial embrace of the EU and the matriarchal and patriarchal mum and dad, Merkel and Macron together with the rest of the relatives on the first class gravy train.
We true leavers are not for turning.

Greta Tue 09-Apr-19 22:45:15

Jura, I know it's hard when we have frail parents in another country and it's very sad when they die because we lose more than our parents, we lose our anchor point.

GabriellaG54, Brexit will obviously affect EU-nationals. It has already begun to affect them. Whether they happen to live in the UK at the present time is irrelevant.

The last sentence in your post 19:18: "a dram to help it's passage."
it's = it is or it has
its = possessive pronoun

Basic grammar

jura2 Tue 09-Apr-19 21:38:14

Irrelevant, we are seriously affected by it all- in many many ways. British citizens, allowed to vote. There are many of us on GN, not just me. We are totally dependent on UK pensions, and we have our children and grandchildren there- and always intended to return at some point- as my parents no longer need us as they have passed away.

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Apr-19 19:18:42

You don't even live here jura2

GabriellaG54 Tue 09-Apr-19 19:09:54

You must all have plenty of time to waste on signing petitions, linking threads which have to be sourced etc.
As a leaver, I know that you're frustrated but you'd better be prepared to swallow the bitter pill.
Maybe the Scottish contingent will provide a dram to help it's passage.

jura2 Tue 09-Apr-19 18:55:13

proudly signed and shared

pinkquartz Tue 09-Apr-19 18:42:31

It has to be better to stay in for now and then vote out our idiotic House of Commons. If no-one votes them they will lose their jobs.

i would like to remain in the EU and then revisit the decision in a couple of years.
There is no way we knew what was the right choice back in 2016.
What we do know now is that we cannot trust any M.P. that we now have.

varian Tue 09-Apr-19 15:04:09

Brexit will suck the life out of British politics for another 10 years, ex-Tory Minister Lord Willetts warned on LBC.

www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/shelagh-fogarty/brexit-row-last-10-years-ex-tory-minister/