Gransnet forums

News & politics

Appalling news about Brexit

(168 Posts)
Lily65 Thu 04-Apr-19 09:38:28

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/apr/04/police-amass-10000-officers-in-preparation-for-no-deal-unrest

I can only assume these people know what they are doing.

suzied Thu 04-Apr-19 17:26:07

I bet noone had heard of the speeding MP before she was convicted, whereas Boris et al are already in the public eye , so their misdemeanours would certainly evoke more comment. That wouldn't be surprising. I'm certain the majority of British abroad are fine, but you've got to admit there are a certain subset of unpleasant drunken types who you feel ashamed to be the same nationality.

jura2 Thu 04-Apr-19 17:53:42

There is just no comparison- and ti has nothing to do with being 'known' or not.

Callistemon Thu 04-Apr-19 18:04:44

"I personally know two people who have lied about who was driving when caught on a speed camera. I do not condone it, but it’s hardly the crime of the century and the woman has paid her dues and been publicly humiliated and vilified."

Anja Thu 04-Apr-19 11:45:02
I wonder why Chris Huhne and his wife got longer sentences than Ms Onasanya for the same offence?

varian Thu 04-Apr-19 18:45:40

The Conservative Party restored the whip to two MPs who had been suspended for misconduct. This reinstated them as "official" Conservative members of parliament so that they could take part in the no-confidence vote they were about to inflict on Theresa May.

One is Andrew Griffiths, Conservative member for Burton and Uttoxeter​ and a former chief of staff to Theresa May. He resigned as a business minister in July after text messages of a sexual nature he had sent to two women from his constituency became public. Disciplinary action against him was dropped, however, as he had been suffering a mental health crisis and was hospitalised for over a month.

The other is Charlie Elphicke, MP for Dover and Deal. He was suspended by the Conservatives last November and interviewed under caution by the police earlier this year in connection with “alleged sexual offences” against two female members of staff when alone with them at points between 2015 and 2017. A third woman came forward with a rape allegation.

www.independent.co.uk/voices/theresa-may-confidence-vote-griffiths-elphicke-tories-whip-a8681506.html

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Apr-19 18:47:32

Varian as a life long Conservative I was disgusted at this!!!

maddyone Thu 04-Apr-19 19:07:16

Chris Huhne and Vicky Pryce lied about who was driving some years ago, they were each jailed for 8 months.

Fiona Onasanya received a custodial sentence of three months, and is currently wearing an electronic tag. It is worth remembering that she has been expelled from the Labour Party, and is acting as an Independent MP at present.

There can be no defence of these cases in my opinion. These people have lied, and been convicted of serious offences. I think they should not be allowed to sit in the HofC following such a conviction. There are a number of professions where it is not allowed to have a criminal conviction, such as teaching, medicine, lawyers, financial, and in my opinion MPs should also be in this group. There should be no exceptions.

maddyone Thu 04-Apr-19 19:09:44

There are of course other MPs who have been involved in rather less than savoury activities, as Varian points out.

We should demand the highest of standards from our legislators. There should be no room for complacency.

Framilode Thu 04-Apr-19 19:42:17

Granny Gravy 13 I was not seeking to make sterotypes I was merely making an observation based on first hand experience.

It was something my husband and I remarked on every time we visited the airport and this was way before Brexit.

GabriellaG54 Thu 04-Apr-19 20:17:34

I'm all for a no deal so-called 'hard' Brexit.
IMO, the sooner we rid ourselves of any vestige of EU meddling in our affairs, the better.
There won't be civil unrest (according to various comments on here) because remainers are not of that ilk so we can be assured that all will be well and the extra police/ army won't need to be deployed...(contented sigh smile)

GrannyGravy13 Thu 04-Apr-19 20:23:43

Framilode I lived in Southern Spain 37 years ago.

I try very hard not to stereotype Brits Abroad, have met some vile “posh” in Marbella, Puerto Buenos and lovely “rough diamonds” in Benelmadena/Torremolenos.

Life has taught me not to judge a book by its cover, which I try to adhere to, but as I am not perfect I do get things/people wrong sometimes.

(Apologies for spelling I am multi-tasking and failing)

crystaltipps Thu 04-Apr-19 20:45:53

There will be civil unrest when the EDL/ UKIP thugs continue to blame everything on foreigners/ immigrants/ non white people.

maryeliza54 Thu 04-Apr-19 20:49:00

You are incorrect maddy about having a conviction and not being able to be a member of a profession. It’s much much more complex than that

SteveFisherino Thu 04-Apr-19 20:51:17

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

GabriellaG54 Thu 04-Apr-19 20:57:44

crystaltipps

Aren't you just the picture of happy optimism...not.
Ya just can't get off the theme of TR/EDL and the thuggish element which is, incidentally, everywhere.
If Canada, USA, NZ, Aus...can implement strict criteria as to who and what is allowed into their countries and for how long, then I don't see any reason why we, in a far far far smaller country, cannot have the same checks and balances in place without having opprobrium heaped on our heads.

quizqueen Thu 04-Apr-19 20:59:59

Liz46, you are incorrect- no one voted to 'go into Europe'.

For a start Europe is a continent that, baring some sort of massive earthquake that sends our landmass westwards, the UK will always be part of! Secondly, no one voted to join the Common Market, as it was then. Mr Heath signed for the UK to join in 1973 without a vote, and in 1973 Mr Wilson gave the country a referendum on whether the UK should withdraw.

The vote was to stay after a campaign ( surprise, surprise) of doom and gloom if we were to leave. In those days, you are correct though, the winning vote was seen to be enacted upon without doubt. Not so today, it seems.

GabriellaG54 Thu 04-Apr-19 21:02:26

Hi SteveFisherino and welcome to our happy hmm home.
I hope you've brought your riot gear as these political threads can be a rocky ride. grin

kittylester Thu 04-Apr-19 21:44:36

Hi stevefisherino and a very warm welcome if you are new!

Tuppnce Thu 04-Apr-19 21:45:29

A bit late with the welcome GG - he has been deleted. hmm

crystaltipps Thu 04-Apr-19 21:50:19

The fascist thugs may be everywhere , but doesn’t mean they should be tolerated and unchallenged.

vigdis Thu 04-Apr-19 22:11:22

@Gabriella54
crystaltipps is not obliged to run withyour happy optimism. Your breezy dismissal of other's concerns about violence doesn't convince everyone that all will be well.
There have been too many instances of verbal and physical abuse of foreigners, and the perpetrators were not all EDL thugs on a demonstration. The attacks were random and comitted by your man-in-the-street... possibly emboldened by the rhetoric of the likes of TR et al.
You are entitled to be cheerful and happy at the prospect of a No Deal but I think you should realise that for some of us, this is going to cause a problem - me, for a start. Our consultancy business on which we rely financially is already taking a hit - OK, that's life, but the way you dismiss everyone's concerns because No Deal suits you is peetty galling.

GabriellaG54 Thu 04-Apr-19 22:34:42

Tuppnce
That's odd as he had only written Hi on his comment...the one which has been deleted. It was still there when I wrote my 'Welcome' comment.

maddyone Thu 04-Apr-19 22:46:06

Maryeliza, my daughter is a doctor, my son is a barrister, my other son works in finance, and myself and my husband were teachers. None of us would have been able to practice with a criminal conviction. The key word here is criminal. I don’t really know about other professions. Surely we should expect the same standards of our law makers Maryeliza? Or don’t you agree?

maryeliza54 Thu 04-Apr-19 22:51:59

maddy you are wrong. Doctors, for one, can and do practice with criminal convictions - it all depends on the crime. You are just wrong - I really know what I am talking about here.

maryeliza54 Thu 04-Apr-19 22:57:22

And so can barristers, teachers, social workers etc etc etc

GabriellaG54 Thu 04-Apr-19 23:00:13

vigdis
Nowhere did I dismiss concerns re violence but they are a recurring theme in virtually every post by certain posters, not limited exclusively to crystaltipps granted but in almost every one of their recent posts.
I'm sure that the above named poster does not need a mouthpiece and is quite able to voice their views on my comment.
It did not mention you.
I'm as entitled to be optimistic as pessimism does no-one any favours either. Glass half full or half empty is still only a glass half filled with liquid.
Whatever the outcome, you, I and everyone else is going to have to deal with the result so there's no use worrying about it.
I assume (according to previous posts) that many business owners have taken what steps they can to mitigate any fallout regardless of the deal.
Your concerns are not my concerns and vice versa so there is no reason why I should be worrying about something which is nothing to do with me?
I'm not worried about Tesco ir Waitrose supplies nor whether H&M will have my favourite styles of clothing in stock.
They pay staff to do their worrying/thinking.
They have to get stock somehow otherwise they don't have a business.
Yes...no deal suits me but staying in suits you.
Who's to say what the other should think or wish for.
Are you thinking of me? No. Nor am I thinking of you.